Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • TdF – When the caravan comes is that the road closed?
  • FunkyDunc
    Free Member

On Sunday I am thinking of heading out on to the moors on the Keighley to Hebden road with my 4 yr old son.

We are doing the family thing tomorrow so will watch the whole day.

On Sunday its just me and Jnr FD. His attention span isnt the greatest and it may rain, so I dont want to be out for 3-4 hrs. Can I time it to get there in time for just the riders, or will there be people stopping you using the road?

Ta

Longarmedmonkey

Cycling weekly said roads were closed so expect to walk. I don’t think you can park up on the roadside; however I may be wrong.

Harry_the_Spider

Roads close way before.

mintimperial

Tons of info here.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I have a cunning plan to use a road near Ogden Water, park up and then less than a 1 mile flat XC ride on to the Hebden Road.

I just dont want to climb up the Hebden Road, or even cross to the other side of it, and then find that we cant get back to the car…

StackEd

Have a shuftie at this link, you’ll find they’ll close several hours earlier and generally they’re not allowing roadside parking
    null

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Cheers for the links. As I say on the Tour road we will just be on bikes.

I will read the info later.

Ta

dunmail
    Free Member

Roads (the route itself) close at 6am to motor vehicles and half an hour before the caravan comes through for bikes and will reopen once the last of the press, support cars etc come through – I think there’s some sort of official “That’s it folks” car.

The big problem is the parking restrictions for many of the roads leading on to the route – there’s lots of signs saying you’ll get towed. In some cases the closures extend several miles. There’s an official road traffic order link that lists them – it’s a PDF

nbt

I think – and please correct me if I’m wrong – FunkyDunc is asking if one is able to use the road in the time (about 2 hours, remember) between the publicity caravan passing and the peloton arriving

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

nbt – correct. Yes in between just to cycle on the road.

Sorry trying to do about 20 things at once (including work) so not put very eloquently

dunmail
    Free Member

No, the road shuts to all traffic from just before the caravan to when the last car goes through (or when the cops say it’s open)

I’d imagine that you’ll be allowed to cross from one side of the road to the other though.

konagirl
    Free Member

My understanding is that the roads will shut to all traffic (inc peds and cyclists) between 1 hour and 30 mins prior to the caravan arriving and this makes sense in town centres where there will be barriers. Once the caravan has gone past, the road crossing points will open again until (I guess) 30 mins before the peleton is due to arrive. But on the moors / passes I expect the lower parts of the climbs won’t be barriered since we’ll all be stood between the stone walls and the road itself, I would think you’ll be able to move across/around the road within reason.

So if the OP can join to Oxenhope-Hebden road from the tops, then I would think he should be ok. If you try and join the road from Oxenhope or from the Hebden side, I would think it will be barriered off to all traffic from 30 mins before the caravan arrives and won’t reopen to pedestrians / cyclists until after the last car (so 3 or 4 hours).

Macavity
    Free Member

The anticipated 2,000,000 spectators for the event might impact slightly on your plans.

D0NK

I have a cunning plan to use a road near Ogden Water, park up and then less than a 1 mile flat XC ride on to the Hebden Road.

mate was planning to do similar elsewhere and a couple of weeks ago there were already don’t even think of parking here signs up for where he wanted to park and a mile or two before that. Probably lots of people with the same idea so, understandably I guess, they’re nipping that one in the bud.

Reckon you’ll need to ride quite a few miles, probably from a designated CP or a town/village several miles from the course. Difficult for dragging young kids/none cyclists up there.

nigew
    Free Member

You do know that all the roads from that side go downhill to meet the road at Oxenhope don’t you, so be prepared to push back up after.

keng38
    Free Member

No parking at all between oxen hope and hebden bridge.
    Signs up saying vehicles will be towed.
    Large lay by at top commandeered for race marshals only.
    Ogden water good shout, also try looking at Halifax sailing club area. Might be able to get there perhaps on the day.

xanboy
    Free Member

I know it’s not the same area but I was in Epping this morning. Signs up everywhere saying roads closed to traffic from 7:30-17:30. All the forest car parks are already closed and Epping high street already has parking restrictions in place, no parking signs on all the streets I could see.
    Having watched the race in France before, people are cycling on the roads until it long before the caravan arrives, once everything goes past it turns in to total chaos though.
    With the number of people expected I’d say your biggest problem will be parking anywhere near the place and then getting away again.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘TdF – When the caravan comes is that the road closed?’ is closed to new replies.