Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • TDF – what time to get to watching point?
  • chriswilk
    Free Member

Living in Edinburgh I’ma bit remote from the hype.
    Stage 1, thinking of going up Grinton. What time should I aim to get to the area?? Race coming through about 3pm, but I know we need to be there hours before. Aim to arrive ~8.30? or earlier??

Stage 2 is easier for me, I know all the roads well and it’s not so far from my folks where we are staying.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

About ten minutes before it comes on TV.

dunmail
    Free Member

Roads are shut to motor vehicles very early (think 6am or similar) but open to cyclists until about half an hour before the publicity caravan comes through, this is usually about 2 hours before the riders.

Note that not only is the actual route closed but there are parking restrictions on many roads close to the route so you may have to park some distance away.

chriswilk
    Free Member

I’ve looked at the road closures and restrictions and plan to park in one of the dedicated car parks. From there ride in for a few miles.
    I guess these car parks will get busy…

I will have a 6 year old, so riding in is limited to ~5 miles or so

Chew
    Free Member

Stage Timings Here

I’d aim to get to your spot at least 30 mins before the caravan arrives

buck53

I’m planning to get to my favoured spot super early (it’s likely to be one of the more popular spots but is closest to me) by bike and carry on down the route to find space if need be. I was thinking first thing in the morning hoping for there to be a bit of atmosphere to soak up, people to chat to etc.

Am I overestimating how busy it’s likely to be?

thetallpaul
    Free Member

Going to be at my meeting point at 6am on Sunday, but I am Marshalling. If you are between Poppleton and Knaresborough and see a tall bloke dressed like an ASDA employee, it’s probably me. Say Hi.
    Hoping to be assigned as a flag marshall so I get to stand in the middle of the road as the peloton rides past.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Going to be at my meeting point at 6am on Sunday, but I am Marshalling. If you are between Poppleton and Knaresborough

I will be so will keep an eye out, I’ll be at Whixley.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

I’d aim to get to your spot at least 30 mins before the caravan arrives

May I ask politely…. why ? … Is the caravan that good? what is it all about ??

Thanks and the reason I ask is I’m either ride up to a pub with pals or taking my 4 year old lad along…. but 2.5/3 hours is pushing it for a small boy no matter how good he is 🙂

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Its ok to watch, but the roads are completely closing so a good chance you have to stay where you are after it. I actually think its an hour before the caravan when they stop you riding on the route.

If your taking a 4 year go somewhere like a pub/town with stuff to do.

dunmail
    Free Member

The roads will be closed to all traffic around 30mins prior to the caravan arriving. I’ve no idea how good or otherwise the caravan is as I’ve never seen it before.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

OK if it’s just for access reason. We won’t be missing anything if we are there later. Ta gents.

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

So am I right in thinking that the carvan arrives about 2 hours before the riders and its a good idea to get to your spot at least 30 mins before the caravan?

What is the caravan? Whats its purpose?

After the riders have passed how long would you have to wait until you could ride on the roads again?

MoreCashThanDash

Caravan is an amusing sideshow to keep tbe crowds amused before tbe action starts

Various vans and decorated floats like a carnival, run by the sponsors, manned by attractive people throwing samples of the sponsors products, sweets, caps and other freebies to the crowd.

If you are lucky, you might get a nice momento. Otherwise you might get a couple of sachets of shampoo and washing powder. But best not to bitter about it….

Fwiw, Derbyshire County Council have just emailed all staff asking for volunteers to help marshall crowds and vehicles on Sunday morning. Not as though Glossop gets busy on a normal day … 🙄

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I’m planning a big MTB loop from Stockport to Glossop, top of woodhead for the viewing and then ride home via cutgate/ladybower etc. Will be a big day!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

How you getting to Grinton? The roads are being closed to cars very early in the morning ie 6am, so you will have to bike in.

I would have thought Grinton will be about as busy as it can get. Good luck getting in and out on the day

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’m predicting traffic chaos around Glossop all day Sunday with every fat man in a lycra top west of Oldham heading for the top of Woodhead pass for mid day. This will be interesting.

chriswilk
    Free Member

Funky Dunc – going in via A1 and richmond. There are a couple of “official” car parks on the road to Grinton. Will try to park in one of them and ride/walk the rest of the way. All this is on the tour de yorkshire website. The route roads to Reeth close at 7am.
    That’s why I’m aiming to get to the area about 8am.

schnor
    Free Member

r8jimbob88 – Member

So am I right in thinking that the carvan arrives about 2 hours before the riders and its a good idea to get to your spot at least 30 mins before the caravan?

I’d like to know the answer to this too! I planned my day around giving myself 1 hour but if its 2.5 hours I’ll need to re-jig leaving times / etc

nbt

Nothing like a bit of advance planning is there ?!

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

I’d like to know the answer to this too! I planned my day around giving myself 1 hour but if its 2.5 hours I’ll need to re-jig leaving times / etc

Might need more if you intend to move up and down the route itself, Side roads and roads adjacent should be ok via bike/foot up until near the race.

Roads will re-open as and when it is safe to so, this may be earlier or later than time specified.
    Expect delays and allow additional time for journeys .
    No parking is permitted on the race route during 5th and 6th July 2014. Vehicles will be removed
    Pre 0900 use designated event car parks at Ripon Golf Club, Ripon Racecourse and Ripon South. After 0900 use Park & Walk / Cycle at Newby Hall. This is 3 miles (60 min walk) from the race route
    Use campsites at Ripon Racecourse
    Cycling and pedestrian access is permitted on the race route until approx one hour before Publicity Caravan arrives.
    Remember the countryside code .

Thats from the le tour website about the roads near me.

Clicky – Le tour Travel Info

butcher

Race schedules here: http://letour.yorkshire.com/the-grand-d%c3%a9part-2014/timings

Funky Dunc – going in via A1 and richmond. There are a couple of “official” car parks on the road to Grinton.

I checked one ‘official’ car park, and it stated that, if you were not there by 7am, even if you had a space booked it would be given to someone else. So I would check!

crazy-legs

IME of watching Tour stages (I’ve seen a few in France) you plan for an entire day out. Especially at stage starts, finishes and mountain roads, you get there about 6hrs beforehand, sort yourself out with some food, drink, a brolly, some suncream and whatever weird fancy dress you’re wearing then settle in for an afternoon of drinking games, food sharing and chat with the other 300 people in your immediate vicinity.

Any attempts to get there with less than about 3hrs to spare are likely to be met with disappointment. Any attempts to rush off immediately afterwards are similarly doomed to fail.

That said, it’s always a good day out. Just go prepared.

schnor
    Free Member

Ta for the info Shep!

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘TDF – what time to get to watching point?’ is closed to new replies.