Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)
  • TdF Stage 8 – The First Key Test [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

After eight days of racing, we reach the Pyrenees. The scene would be a familiar one if it wasn’t for the start in Corsica and the consequences that is likely to have had. Where will the contenders be placed before taking on the very difficult Col de Pailhères, the first key test of this 100th Tour? No one can say for sure, even though it’s a good bet there will already be some decent gaps between them going into this stage. My worry?
    That Wiggins (unlikely), Froome and Porte finish one, two and three at the summit of Ax 3 Domaines, which wouldn’t sit well with the glorious uncertainty of sport! But we will have to wait and see. In any case, the Spaniards will be ready. They are heading into their terrain…

A flawless display from a brilliant team yesterday, I wonder how many more times they can do that. 3k to go at 7 minutes in.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_ropt3ee0M[/video]

Photos from Stage 7

IMO today is the day when the tour starts. I’m expecting Sky to work hard today and try to take control, but the other teams will be expecting this too. Froome, Porte, Evans, Contador, Valverde, Quintana, Ryder, even Andy (maybe…) could all be in the mix. If anyone takes big time today it will be Froome, but I’m not expecting him to win the tour today, although I am expecting quite a few to lose big time today and be forgotton about for the rest of the tour. Got quite a lot of climbing tomorrow too, so need to leave something left…

I predict a break, but honestly don’t have a clue if it will stay away or not. I can’t see Orica being too involved today as there’s no way Impey will stay with the climbers today (although I’d love to be surprised).

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

Jimsters` Jinkers still sitting in 1st place in the Fantasy league, but not by much, with easily the best (worst?) team in the league, Time to do some crashing top of the loser league. Expecting lots of change at the end of the day.
    P.S. Junkyard – have you noticed how similar our winning teams are? Come on Stannard… 😉

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tour-de-france-tech-teams-prepping-bikes-for-pyrenees

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/Juiced-How-Riders-Will-Dope-at-the-2013-Tour-de-France.htmlgenerally don’t like speculating about doping, but some might find this interesting

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/andy-schleck-hints-he-may-not-stay-with-trek-in-2014not sure if anyone really cares…

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/evans-keen-to-see-his-rivals-form-in-the-pyreneesthe dark horse of the tour if you ask me

swavis

I’m looking forward to this today, the first chance we’ll really start to see who’s in form.
    OH is off shopping this avo so feet up and tv on for me, while hopefully the bairns stay asleep at nap time 😉

Froome for the win, maybe…..

mtbfix

Today the race truly begins. Time called on the glory boy sprinters, for the time being. I mean, losing 15mins yesterday because they couldn’t be bothered chasing any more? Really? Someone give Sagan the green jersey now please.

Edric64
    Free Member

Sagan must be a nailed on cert for the green jersey as Cav really is poor in the big mountains and this year the tour is so mountainous I cant see him getting near Sagan .In fact is it so lumpy he might get out of time and be eliminated ?

llama

Is too excited to predict

Bet it turns out a boring defensive one

leffeboy

At last. The first couple of days were great and it’s always interesting to see how teams are looking but it was time for the real battle to begin

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Spanish alliance to attack attack attack on last climb. Should be exciting to watch.
    My relentless slide down the fantasy league continues. It’s a kiss of death for any rider to be in my team. On that basis froome and porte will blow big style, and ultimately get dropped by the Cavendish group, losing 15mins on the stage.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

To kick him out of the team after 11 months of giving him their support, I just don’t understand it

Mandy, its not difficult: Frank is a convicted doper, “the team” is under new owners, and Trek are understandably keen to distance themselves from convicted dopers….

Great ride from cannondale, as Boardman and Imlach said, a 100km lead out, which Lotto and OPQS combined couldn’t chip into.

Looking forward to Sky taking on the combined Spanish armarda in the mountains.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Excited 🙂 Might be one for Purito if the other big favourites are all marking each other.

crazy-legs

Sagan must be a nailed on cert for the green jersey as Cav really is poor in the big mountains and this year the tour is so mountainous I cant see him getting near Sagan .In fact is it so lumpy he might get out of time and be eliminated ?

No, Cav can climb. Just not as well as Sagan. I don’t think Cav/Griepel did too badly yesterday but that group realised they weren’t going to catch up again so did the sensible thing, sat up and saved their energy.

That said, I don’t think Cav can get green this year, unless Sagan has a really dire couple of weeks or crashes out, he’s pretty much won it already. And the situation is complicated by the fact that OPQS have the white jersey which they’ll look to defend so it’ll be difficult setting Cav up for sprints while they’re trying to look after white.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Junkyard – have you noticed how similar our winning teams are? Come on Stannard..

Great minds innit – though we are better at losing

the dark horse of the tour if you ask me

Dont say that I bet on him being pants for the losers league and you went for the dirty steak eater – not abad shout but he will be more competitive IMHO at GQ

Time to do some crashing top of the loser league

Hold your horses their fella you are bottom and I am second as surely the objective was to get the lowest possible score – ie loose that league.

Froome dog will do a burst of speed at some point on the climb to get a psychological advantage and steak [ see what I did there] his claim to the crown. Gains 20-30 seconds but easily caught on the descent
    One QG person blows up – Schleck as he does not want to try or he gets scared on the down bit

TimCotic
    Free Member

I like Cav but I’m glad we’re not experiencing the Murray-Mania syndrome. It’s a tough race and quality will out. Personally I’m a fan of the all-rounder type of rider (like Thor Hushovt) and I’d like to see the rules set up to favour rider with all the skills and to partially neutralise the overwhelming team dominance of the event.

Junkyard
    Free Member

YEs given the fantasy chance again i would go for Sgan
    there is no doubt flat out Cav is by far the best but as an all rounder Sagan is on his own for his ability to ride everything even cars

Better wheelies as well

crazy-legs

That ruined castle right up on the ridge – WOW!

Never ming the bike racing, that’s kind of incidental to the stunning scenery in full HD. 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

Hold your horses their fella you are bottom and I am second as surely the objective was to get the lowest possible score – ie loose that league.

Yeah, on the top metaphorically… 😉

Dont say that I bet on him being pants for the losers league and you went for the dirty steak eater – not abad shout but he will be more competitive IMHO at GQ

Yeah it’s a risky move I think, I’m kinda hoping he’s going to crash out/get DQ’d/get pushed off his bike by Porte or just not be that spectacular…

Junkyard
    Free Member

I went for cuddles getting beaten by TJ and then just not trying …he could get competitive

PS what shame we are better at being crap 😳

Hate contador I thought he was the real deal and he looks awesome dancing on the pedals [ i like to think i ride like this but in reality I am mashing]
    Shleck takes him out on descent by simply forgeting to break
    In relaity I reckon he will be top three and probably the only non Sky one there
    Anyway breakaway may get it but hoping we get some proper action on the hill rather than have SKY TT there way up again and then round France

why are we not watching the peleton come up the bloody hill that is where the actual “race” is

RealMan
    Free Member

PS what shame we are better at being crap

Give it a few more days..

why are we not watching the peleton come up the bloody hill that is where the actual “race” is

Yeah true.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Go tommy V

Really wanted him in my team but too expensive should have sacrificed Cav

crazy-legs

Oh poor Tommy! 🙁
    You almost want to just give him a big hug, poor guy.

Yellow jersey – meet back door…

rOcKeTdOg

wish i had a poorly knee like Quintana’s

Junkyard
    Free Member

was somewhat short lived…like one of my attacks

Now catch that fella as he is on my loser team

Tom-B
    Free Member

Love proper climbers like Quintana. Poetry in motion.

RealMan
    Free Member

Put Cav in my team instead of Quintana… Cav better do me proud or there’s going to be words.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

That was a cracking climb from the Columbian!

Junkyard
    Free Member

Winners or losers … I pout him in my losers 😳

RealMan
    Free Member

Winners obviously. You put Quintana in your losers? Oh dear…

Junkyard
    Free Member

Think you should race crawl away with it now unless Bertie wins the Tour

Cav wont be good value for money this year though

SClech and evans spat out the back [ they are my losers as well}

Bloody columbian climbing god getting white,stage and polka dot I hate you

rOcKeTdOg

let’s hope he’s not 100% columbian

Junkyard
    Free Member

😀

probably not help him but we should be able to tell at the celebration 😉

Proper race on moment as they catch him

headfirst
    Free Member

Immense by Porte!

Junkyard
    Free Member

BOOM go team SKY and rip their legs off

The tour has proper started and a psychological blow if nothing else

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Nice long ad break by ITV… Just as Froome makes a move

rOcKeTdOg

bertie’s dreaming of a beef laden dinner

ChunkyMTB
    Free Member

Contador struggling without the help of doping..

Junkyard
    Free Member

I like the fact the adverts are not synced between ITV and eurosport

Junkyard
    Free Member

Contador struggling without the help of doping..

Froomes are just better 😈

Tom-B
    Free Member

Yeah Bertie doesn’t look as good nowadays, funny that! Froome is quite possibly the most ungainly rider I’ve ever seen! Hard to get that excited about Froome and co-constantly looking down at his SRM.

cheers_drive

I’m still not sure that I like Froome but he’s way more interesting to watch.
    Contador needs a ‘rest’ day

IanMunro
    Free Member

Going to have to watch the highlights later just catch the bits in the ad breaks.

Junkyard
    Free Member

winning the tour today by the looks of it

Given his TT only an accident will hurt him

They are literally no where near him…should have given a LA look before going

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 8 – The First Key Test [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.