Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)
  • TdF Stage 5 – A Time To Take Stock [Spoilers]
  • atlaz
    Free Member

I’m surprised no one seems too bothered about Ted King being kicked out?

It’s shitty for him but typically the rules are only stretched/ignored when they’re eliminating half the peloton. A year or two ago, Cav rolled in a long way behind the leaders with about 20-30 other riders so they docked points from people in for the green jersey and let them all in.

Seems like a nice bloke and I’m sure he’s heartbroken but it’s hardly worth more attention than any other rider in any other year who is booted out.

mattjg
    Free Member

the “Tour de Frances – “smashing it up and down the river”, blubbing on some col somewhere, carrying his bike over avalanchee debris (errrrrr….)

I thought he was OK really, he had a certain naive charm and at least he was enjoying his riding, it’s the repetition that kills it. I’d have him back instead of “WiiU teaches your kids to be couch potatoes” any day.

mogrim

I’m surprised no one seems too bothered about Ted King being kicked out?

Seems a pity, but at the same time if he’s really in that much pain he’s better off out, give him time to recover.

Junkyard
    Free Member

i think the main issue us that he was riding to be just in time and his device said he was so he could have made the time had he known

Very very harsh

llama

would have kept him in if he was french

jfletch
    Free Member

i think the main issue us that he was riding to be just in time and his device said he was so he could have made the time had he known

He is a muppet then. If he was riding to be bang on the time and he had more to give he deserves to be out. If he was riding to the time limit then he should have aimed to be 1m inside on his SRM, then the 7s error wouldn’t have mattered.

I think ASO may have had more sympathy had he tried to stay with the team and then dropped back when he couldn’t stand it. But riding to the minimum was making a rod for his own back.

Very different to all the sprinters being late on a mountain stage, I’m sure if Cav on his own missed the cut off because he rode to the minimum required, rather than the most he could manage then he would also be eliminated.

warton
    Free Member

He is a muppet then. If he was riding to be bang on the time and he had more to give he deserves to be out

🙄

Please, oh great one, what would you recommend when riding 25KM in 32 minutes, with a separated shoulder?

brakes
    Free Member

a stopwatch?

Junkyard
    Free Member

thst explanation is even more heartless than the TdF refs

I am sure most of have a word to describe you both 😉

jfletch
    Free Member

Please, oh great one, what would you recommend when riding 25KM in 32 minutes, with a separated shoulder?

Maybe ride 25km as fast as you can.

It sucks that he was 7s behind but the fact still remains that he was trying to do the minimum and got it wrong, he should suffer the consequences. He gambled and lost. Why should we bend the rules for that.

It would be different if he wasn’t gambling, if he just went out and said “I’m going to ride as hard as I can”, but he didn’t.

It seems heartless to say “he wasn’t trying his hardest” when he did something 99% of us couldn’t do with 2 functioning shoulders but that is the fact and he isn’t 99% of us, he is the 1%. If he had tried a little bit harder he would have made it.

Junkyard
    Free Member

well anyone could have tried a little bit harder and been faster but it is still harsh as he was doing the bare minimum as those are the rules.
    the reason he faield was technical rather than personal

to make it worse plenty of other riders will try less hrad, be further outside the limit and still be competing this year ….just like evrry other year

mikehopkins
    Free Member

anyone interesting in the breakaway, that could mix things up? :O

jfletch
    Free Member

the reason he faield was technical rather than personal

How so? It was his personal/team equipment that wasn’t synced to the stage clock and the means to avoid the problem were entirely with his and his teams control.

The rule to let people who miss the time limit continue is for people who suffer issues that are outside of their control. This wasn’t.

Had he gone all out, missed the cut off and then argued he only missed it because of the crash on stage 1 then I would have more sympathy but he didn’t.

Junkyard
    Free Member

How so? It was his personal/team equipment that wasn’t synced to the stage clock and the means to avoid the problem were entirely with his and his teams control.

Indeed but it was not his fault now was it ….do you expect him to sync his own equipment now and perhaps wahs and prepare his bike?

The rule to let people who miss the time limit continue is for people who suffer issues that are outside of their control. This wasn’t.

No it will be used this year again because too many riders are outside it because they are just too slow on the big mountain days….they wont all have had technical reasons that is why the time limit can be over.

Had he gone all out, missed the cut off and then argued he only missed it because of the crash on stage 1 then I would have more sympathy but he didn’t.

Yes i can really see your sympathetic side now and off course Cav and others will be going all out when he fails it this year wont he 😕

mikehopkins
    Free Member

As there’s not much discussion about the stage at the moment quick question, will disc brakes ever become mainstream/allowed in pro racing?

Junkyard
    Free Member

No

warton
    Free Member

Yes

swiss01
    Free Member

anyone got a link for that spectator getting taken out at around 75km?

and, maybe

warton
    Free Member

The breakaway will be starting to feel they can do this. 50km to go, close to 7 minutes gap. if it was flat they’d be reeled in no problem, on this parcours I’m not so sure…

rusty90
    Free Member

anyone got a link for that spectator getting taken out

[url=http://instagram.com/p/bTmzXvsC5P/]http://instagram.com/p/bTmzXvsC5P/[/url]

llama

that is funny

swiss01
    Free Member

cheers rusty. that just doesn’t get old

miketually
    Free Member

As there’s not much discussion about the stage at the moment quick question, will disc brakes ever become mainstream/allowed in pro racing?

Join the dots:

Shimano just released one.
    Shimano are a major sponsor of the UCI.

crazy-legs

Watching it on the ITV live feed but oh dear God Phil Liggett’s commentary is SO annoying!

warton
    Free Member

My bet is out the window.

COME ON CAV!!!

swavis

Back together so bunch sprint time 😀

warton
    Free Member

GET IN THERE CAV

big crash

swavis

Whoop!!!! 😀

mogrim

Great stuff, but that crash looks nasty 🙁

swavis

Ooh, not so good. What happened to Sagan, no mention on the Eurosport feed?

miketually
    Free Member

🙂

mogrim

Sagan 3rd

brakes
    Free Member

wah wah waaaaah!

GO CAV!

swavis

Cav 1st & Sagan 3rd will help my fantasy team no end 😀

brakes
    Free Member

how fast do you think an average cyclist could go in a sprint on the flat?
    Cav can do 45+ mph.
    I reckon I could hit 30-35, but where would you test yourself? An airfield?

huws
    Free Member

but where would you test yourself

Richmond Park obviously. 50kmh here using a people carrier as my lead out man.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

“I’m not even at 95%” – that’s the spirit Cav, I need more points!

molgrips
    Free Member

I reckon I could hit 30-35, but where would you test yourself? An airfield?

Lol, how long do you think you could sprint like that for? 🙂 You just need half a mile of road to find out.

Exciting stage though, Cav is one smug bastard 🙂

ComradeD
    Free Member

you would be a smug b*****d if you have beaten everyone by that distance

RealMan
    Free Member

Enjoyed that quite a bit, I was wondering if they’d left the chase too late, and thought the Europcar rider rode fantastically, I kinda wanted him to win. Great finish by Cav though, EBH just riding his slipstream into 2nd, I think if he had come out of it to try and win he would’ve ended up 3rd to Sagan.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 81 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 5 – A Time To Take Stock [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.