Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)
  • TdF Stage 4 – TTT – High-Speed Stage [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

An hour-long flight the evening before will enable the riders to sleep in Nice. Then they will have the morning to recover after the extremely tough passage through Corsica: in all likelihood, this should be the most physically demanding Grand Départ since San Sebastián in 1992! And now we come to this team time trial, where each team’s time will be taken when their fifth rider crosses the line. Naturally, in what is a straightforward and relatively short test (25km), they are going to be moving quickly, very quickly! I am expecting an average speed of 55 kilometres/hour, and perhaps even more, on the Promenade des Anglais. There will be a duel between the Quick Step and Sky teams!

I did enjoy the stage yesterday, although obviously disappointed Sagan didn’t quite finish it off. Loved the late attacks by Dumoulin and Chavanel though.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-rHGkPeW0O4[/video]

Photos from Stage 3.

Today looks like it could be quite exciting, such a short TTT. Favourite would be Garmin, but I think Sky and Movistar will be on form too. Hopefully Geraint won’t have too bad a day today.

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

The Hounds of Zaroff by Ceri remains in 1st place in the Fantasy league, with welly’s weirdos leading the loser league.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/thomas-vows-to-keep-on-fighting-in-tour-de-france

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/tech-gallery-more-new-equipment-at-the-tour-de-france

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/pantanis-parents-critical-of-retrospective-analysis-of-1998-tour-samples

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/gallery-20-years-of-tour-de-france-team-time-trials

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-thomas-voecklers-colnago-c59-team-edition

headfirst
    Free Member

Well I’ve now got two of each of the following in my road.cc fantasy team for today:

Garmin (including Millar, obvs! 😀 )
    OPQS
    Sky

and one Movistar rider

I think it’s what you call hedging your bets…

RealMan
    Free Member

Pffffttt, road.cc… Velogames is the only league worth thinking about 😉

Not sure about OPQS now that Tony is beat up.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Garmin to win today for me.
    No Martin will harm OPQS, and I think Sky might suffer from Thomas and his cracked pelvis.
    So, Garmin, by just enough to put Millar in yellow.

headfirst
    Free Member

I’m doing VG too!

My team ‘SHUT UP LEGS’ is one position above team ‘Shut up legs’ 😐

Re. OPQS: Yes I remembered about Martin after I confirmed all of my free transfers and then posted on here, d’oh!

Stoner
    Free Member

Im so looking forward to this one.

14:15 kick off UK time isnt it?

Better get on with the hoovering/toilet scrubbing/dusting so the Mrs wont know I’ve spent half the day in front of the TdF when she comes home 😀

headfirst
    Free Member

Today’s stage, both in terms of length and profile would be my ideal ‘Etape’

mattjg
    Free Member

Clocking in.

(I spent a summer in Nice once, that’s a very fast road along the Promenade des Bifs).

Junkyard
    Free Member

RM have you got a job or just some sort of auto timer to post?

Not used to seeing these before Dinner time

As for the win …no idea but gutted I did not include Millar in my team…should have sacrificed a sprinter like that number two fella 😉

Are garmin deffo the best team at the time trial?

RealMan
    Free Member

Today’s stage, both in terms of length and profile would be my ideal ‘Etape’

They run a tour de france replica sort of thing, exactly a week before the tour. I think they have about 300 or so riders pay an entry fee and ride the tour route, every meter, exactly as it will be done the next week by the pros. Sort of a dress rehearsal for the organisers. Anyway, I’m vaguely connected to one of the guys who is doing it, and it sounded like they quite enjoyed the TTT day – I don’t think the pros will enjoy it anywhere near as much, especially as they’re unlikely to have nearly as many ice cream stops.

jonba
    Free Member

I hope G can hang in there and stay in the race. Apparently he has 10% margin before he is eliminated. They are going to be protecting Froome though and going for it not waiting for an injured rider.

Not sure if he is the embodyment of rule 5 or just daft.

RealMan
    Free Member

RM have you got a job or just some sort of auto timer to post?

I’ve been waiting for someone to bring that up… 😆

Yes, I do actually have a job, but that’s not the secret, it’s where the job is…

I’m currently working in Bulgaria, and most days it’s too hot to sleep past lunchtime ( 🙁 (although I have struggled through it a few times)), and also I’m 2 hours ahead, which helps a little.

Eurosport coverage comes with Bulgarian commentary though, which is a little bit annoying.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

But the stage would be long over by then, old chap!

jimster
    Free Member

Better get on with the hoovering/toilet scrubbing/dusting so the Mrs wont know I’ve spent half the day in front of the TdF when she comes home

Nice to see who wears the trousers in Chez Stoner. 😯

After performance in Giro TTT, I think Sky will be up there, and they can afford to spit Geraint out the back.

Junkyard
    Free Member

But the stage would be long over by then, old chap!

I forgot you went to a school so posh you had lunch ladies 😉

yossarian
    Free Member

Better get on with the hoovering/toilet scrubbing/dusting so the Mrs wont know I’ve spent half the day in front of the TdF when she comes home

She’ll know

atlaz
    Free Member

After performance in Giro TTT, I think Sky will be up there, and they can afford to spit Geraint out the back.

Thomas and Stannard aren’t doing well. Two of their best TT riders potentially off the back before they really get going

aracer
    Free Member

That’s what I was thinking, atlaz – they’ll miss the power of those two. I can see Sky having a far worse day than predicted.

RickyRah
    Free Member

Thomas and Stannard aren’t doing well. Two of their best TT riders potentially off the back before they really get going

Kennaugh and EBH didn’t look too hot on the climbs yesterday either.

I think it will go to Garmin today. It will be nice to see Millar in yellow.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

In everyones opinion with there be a team that absolutely dominates..?

I think it will go to Garmin today. It will be nice to see Millar in yellow.

Yeah I would like to see him in Yellow too, but after Giro TTT?
    Sky
    Garmin-Sharp
    BMC?

tinsy
    Free Member

Whats up with Stannard? (yes I will use google power on it too)

EDIT, got it, crash on first day too.

singletrackmind

Would it not make sense for Sky to split the team? assuming GT makes the start . Pick 5 strong riders and concentrate on Froome , then the others ride and protect GT so he has a slightly easier day.
    love the fact i am off work whilst the tdf is on , getting a new plaster today so will miss most of the live action.
    Anyone else thinking of a holiday on Corsica with a RB and a MB?

warton
    Free Member

I think BMC today. 17-1 on betfair at the moment, I can’t remember my password though…

mogrim

The Hounds of Zaroff by Ceri remains in 1st place in the Fantasy league, with welly’s weirdos leading the loser league.

And I’m second! Won’t last, soon be tumbling down the league…

Movistar to win today, Valverde leader.

<troll>Millar’s a dirty drug cheat like Contador, don’t want him to win</troll>

turboferret

I love the idea of stopping for an ice-cream in the middle of a TTT 😀

Cheers, Rich

brakes
    Free Member

over 25km the times will be tight, which means it’s going to be exciting AND any time lost won’t be too significant.

I hope G can hang in there and stay in the race. Apparently he has 10% margin before he is eliminated.

I think it’s officially 25% of the winning time. He should be able to keep up a while and then if he at least shows he’s trying if he gets spat out, I doubt they’ll DQ him.

WackoAK
    Free Member

From Millar’s twitter feed:

“I lost the yellow jersey in a TTT 13yrs ago. I get a chance to take it back today & there isn’t another team I’d rather be on to do it.”

I’m going for BMC to win it, would that put Cuddles in yellow??

crazy-legs

if he at least shows he’s trying if he gets spat out, I doubt they’ll DQ him.

I can’t see him lasting to be honest – whether he’s DQ’d or he retires is immaterial but I reckon he’ll be on a plane home by the end of the week. Wish he wasn’t the case, he’s a classy rider and without that crash he’d be well up there but I can’t see a rider surviving the whole 3 weeks with an injury like that.

Today – Millar will be really fired up to go for this, I hope he gets the yellow. Sky will put in a good performance but I’d be surprised if they finish with more than 6 riders.

mikehopkins
    Free Member

What channel is best eurosport or itv4?

warton
    Free Member

got it at skybet, 12-1…

RealMan
    Free Member

What channel is best eurosport or itv4?

I generally prefer ITV4 (although a lot of people don’t like the commentary). But there’s not really much in it between the two. Try both, see which you prefer.

http://www.filmon.com/#ITV4

http://www.procyclinglive.com/livestream/

You can also get a month of eurosport streaming (including HD stream I think) for about £6 or something if you want.

brakes
    Free Member

I think I prefer Eurosport… their commentary and banter is better, and I like the random adverts, and their highlights show is longer.
    but ITV do have little technical features and interviews which are good, although they appear to be repeating them.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Tony Martin still riding?

warton
    Free Member

what TV station?

Eurosport for live
    ITV for highlights

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Headfirst +1

Hedging is what is all about today… who ever’s got yellow will keep it from a few days

I’ve got Millar and A.N Other from garmin…. Bakelants is in… Sagan stays, Cdale might prove good in this TT and a Quickstepper stays as well as a Movistar.

Lets see if I can hold first in the road.cc league after Gerrans did a great job for me yday…. Had him in from the start, just for that stage… feeling rather pleased by that 😀

mudshark
    Free Member

They run a tour de france replica sort of thing, exactly a week before the tour.

My mate’s doing it – Stage 9 was pretty special.

Channel? I love the ITV4 team but maybe just because I’m used to them.

Millar for yellow!

miketually
    Free Member

I wondered whether Millar would have tried to launch an attack off either of the final climbs on stages 2 and 3 to try to TT his way to Yellow. Does that fact that he didn’t mean he’s confident for today?

tang
    Free Member

Kids at school, wife going out and I have the rest of July off, new bike build on to boot. I might return to my empty office (5 mins walk)for the key stages; skyhd and a 50″ screen and a recliner and zero interruption.

YellowBelly
    Free Member

Why oh why did I not put Millar in my squad, or that fellow from Slovakia, and the bloke who was 3rd in the Belgian National Champs. My team is currently embedded in the bottom half of the STW velogames league.

Garmin for the win today.

Sky won’t want yellow this early in the race surely…

RealMan
    Free Member

My team is currently embedded in the bottom half of the STW velogames league.

Enter it into the loser league and claim that was your plan all along? 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 4 – TTT – High-Speed Stage [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.