TdF stage 19 (spoiler)

Home Forum Bike Forum TdF stage 19 (spoiler)

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 70 total)
  • TdF stage 19 (spoiler)
  • mtb_rob

Go Schleck. Just taken 6 seconds out of Contador at the first split, can he keep it up??

mcmoonter

Two seconds at the first time check – GO SCHLECK

don simon

NOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo!

jonb

4 seconds, I assume they know the differences if they are wearing radios. Pressure is on and it's goign to hurt.

don simon

Venga! Venga! Venga! Venga! Animo Alberto!

scotia

Go Schleck! show that spaniard….

Premier Icon Blackhound
    Subscriber

A lot tighter than many people thought. Wonder if the chain issue last week will matter!

don simon

I have a feeling it might, and not in a good way. 😐

IanMunro

They both must be going through mental and physical hell at the moment.

Kevevs

c'mon Schleck. fair do's, that's gotta be hurting. nnnngggg…

Premier Icon Blackhound
    Subscriber

Still 6 secs to Schleck at point 2!

jonb

I feel tired just watching. Go schleck!

Premier Icon Blackhound
    Subscriber

Strikes me that Contador is poor this year rather than Schleck improving. Last year Contador beat Cancellara in the last tt but they are both down around 30th.

Both on same Sworks bike and Sram gruppo I think

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

Damn, Contador is up by 27sec at the final 3rd check.

scotia

merde, ce conard contador..

jonb

maybe his chain will come off.

don simon

Game over, enhorabuena campeon! 😆

Premier Icon MSP
    Subscriber

I wish muppets would stop going on about "the chain incident" while pretending "the crash incident" never happened on stage two, which allowed schleck to open a lead on contador, if one is cheating so is the other.

IanMunro

Is my maths right?
    So schlek lost 39 seconds on the mechanical.
    And Contador wins by 39 secs overall.

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

I wanted Andy Schleck to win.
    🙁

don simon

Has Schleck raised his game or is Contador taking it easy?

scotia

me too, shame for Schleck.

not saying anything about either incident (so im hoping that i avoid the muppet remark MSP) but i dont like the spanish cont..

Urchinboy

I wish muppets would stop going on about "the chain incident" while pretending "the crash incident" never happened on stage two, which allowed schleck to open a lead on contador, if one is cheating so is the other.

Quite. I hate all this waiting for mecahnicals stuff. If you have a mechanical or a crash then tough, you lose. If you want to have a race without those risks then go and take up competitive speed walking or something. Makes a bit of a joke of the sport IMO. But hey, each to their own I suppose. Champery was more fun to watch than that, even with the mud.

Edric 64

another one who doesn't get road race etiquette

Urchinboy

another one who doesn't get road race etiquette

Yes I agree that I don't. This year is the first time I'd heard of it, and it sounded pretty dumb. Whats the reason for it? I genuinely would like to understand how it can be a good idea and not just make a bit of a joke of it being a race. Seems a shame to have the overall winner tainted by something that just isn't a factor in other cycling disciplines (unless it is, as I said, my road racing knowledge is very poor).

Urchinboy

And while we're on it, why is it so unlikely that Shleck's lot will attack tomorrow and try to win? Would they try? Is there any point? Or is it another etiquette thing?

Premier Icon crazy-legs
    Subscriber

And while we're on it, why is it so unlikely that Shleck's lot will attack tomorrow and try to win? Would they try? Is there any point? Or is it another etiquette thing?

If the gap was a few seconds then they probably would but there's no chance they'll get 40 seconds on tomorrows stage, not a hope in hell. Partly "convention", partly that the sprinters teams will always bring back any breakaway. There would need to be a split on the finish line with Schelck in the front group and Contador 40 seconds back for it to change and the only way that could happen is a huge crash which would probably neutralise the race anyway. A crash in the last 3km wouldn't count cos it's race rules that everyone gets the same time if that happens (a rule brought in to try and make sprints less dangerous).

jonb

If saxo bank or schleck make a break then everyone in Astana will chase them down, no chance of making 40 seconds. Also HTC will want a stage win and no teams will be able to open up a 40second gap on a flat stage against those guys.

Urchinboy

OK, thanks guys.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

You don't attack when your rival has a mechanical as it's about rider strength and fitness not how well his bike is set up, Mr Contador doesn't subscribe to this obviously. it's a shame this tour will now always be known as the "chaingate" tour

Did anyone else hear Paul Sherwen get his vowels mixed up and correct himself during the commentary?

"Cun… Contador etc, etc…"

brakes

there's still tomorrow people
    anything can happen…

Junkyard

racing etiquette is that you do not take advantage of the tour leader if they have a mechanical or an accident. It is a bit silly listening to MTBers, who admit they dont understand it, defending it when even contador apologised [ish] for the breach of etiquette. Think of it as having the wrong tyres or not enough travel when you are at the trail centre….it is just not the done thing. 😯

Urchinboy

Fair enough. I am becoming better informed, if still not quite understanding how it can still be about rider strength and fitness if a) it only applies to the leader and b) they all ride different bikes anyway.

But I am pretty certain I'm a) in a minority of thickies when it comes to this b) not in the right thread for this discussion.

I bid you au revoir. Enjoy the final stage.

don simon

You don't attack when your rival has a mechanical as it's about rider strength and fitness not how well his bike is set up, Mr Contador doesn't subscribe to this obviously.

I'm still trying to work out how you can be attacking and looking over your shoulder at the same time. He did slow down and wait for Schleck to get running again. He stopped the attack. More of this is being made than should, IMHO, of course.

Well he won the de Tour on the same time he gained from Schleck's mechanical.

But thats what the make the Tour de France more interesting!

It wouldve been nice for Schleck to win, but it's racing after all. You really expect ANY rider in with a chance of winning the biggest race in the sport not to take advantage of an opportunity to gain much-needed seconds when it arises? All the riders I saw interviewed said they'd have done the same. Absolute nonsense. And yes, I do ride a road bike.

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

Aren't they all doped up anyway? 😉

Premier Icon niloC
    Subscriber

And lets not forget there were riders placed 3rd & 4th pushing on at the same time as Contador during Shlecks mechanical!

You could also argue that Shleck needs to learn how to change gear! if it was a mechanical why didn't it happen again? or is that going to upset the Shleck fans?

69er

Alberto Contadors reaction to his 'win' says it all. He is forever tainted. You let the road decide, not see your sole opponent get into mechanical difficulty and hare off.

The reaction of the crowd also spoke volumes. The TT today would have been the most exciting finish in history if he had done the decent thing. Contador robbed us of that, the same as he robbed Schleck. I hope he's happy.

Chapeau Andy, great tour.

mogrim

Time they scrapped this etiquette crap, one thing is headbutting an opponent, another thing altogether what happened with Schleck and Contador. It's not like it's always been this way, 40 years ago it certainly wasn't. Chain fell off, tough. A spectator brings you down, tough. It's a race, FFS.

headfirst

This thread reminds of the jeremy vine show on radio 2: "get me the most opinionated least informed person now!"

Junkyard

I'm still trying to work out how you can be attacking and looking over your shoulder at the same time. He did slow down and wait for Schleck to get running again. He stopped the attack. More of this is being made than should, IMHO, of course.

we were watching different races he cycles past during the incident as Shleck was attacking him to wait means to either sit up[pedal slowish] or stop and wait till he regrains the group then start racing again Again we were watching a different race if you think this occured.
    nic he was not changing gear his chain slipped like syaing he ought to avoid getting a puncture.
    Think of it as kicking the ball out when a player is injured in footy and then the team getting the ball back. You could play on but it is not considered sporting to do so though nothing in the rules precludes this or requires you to kick the ball out.

Viewing 45 posts - 1 through 45 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘TdF stage 19 (spoiler)’ is closed to new replies.