Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)
  • TdF Stage 19 – A Day For The Bold [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

What was true in the Pyrenees is also true in the Alps: although the Tour de France is coming to its end, we wanted to offer bold riders the kind of terrain that will allow them to have an impact on the outcome. The first name that comes to me when I think of a rider of this type is Pierre Rolland: he loves the Alps and this run of consecutive cols, notably the Glandon and the Madeleine, seems likely to suit him. It remains to be seen if he will have any room for manoeuvre or if it will come down to a question of who is the strongest if the overall classification is very tight? I would like to see the former scenario. I don’t like to think of us already knowing the name of the final winner on the summit of Alpe-d’Huez.

Froome cracks, the French get a win, and Andy Schleck goes past someone on a descent – the madness of doing Alpe d’Huez twice. Huge victory for Riblon, especially considering he crashed.. Nice for the French as well.

Awful spectators, but then you can kind of expect it, and there’s not a lot you can do.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGJL_EivcA4[/video]

Photos from Stage 18

Today is a huge day, I’m thinking another break. Evans should get involved too. KOM competition is still quite open, especially with all the mountains we’ve still got left. If someone can get away on the final climb I could see them holding it on the descent to the line, especially as the descent looks fast and not too technical. Maybe Rodriguez will get away again? Maybe Quintana? For a tiny guy he sprints pretty well.

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

Everything stays the same, Ro5ey’s Roulers by andy rose at the top in the fantasy league, Time to do some crashing at the bottom in the loser league.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-sky-releases-froomes-power-databut really it’s just my strava account, Sky paid me loads for it (don’t tell anyone)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-happy-to-come-through-alpe-dhuez-stage-unscathedand his response to the analysis of the data

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-penalised-20-seconds-for-illegal-feedinghttp://youtu.be/GMCkuqL9IcM?t=2m9s

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/pro-bike-jens-voigts-trek-madone-7-series-h1

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contadors-tour-de-france-hopes-fade-on-alpe-dhuezbut is it over? (yes)

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/tour-de-france-shorts-voigt-fights-on-hansen-experiences-the-delights-of-dutch-corner

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/06/gallery/pro-bike-gallery-alberto-contadors-custom-specialized-tarmac-sl4_292485wohhh, how much does your bike weigh…?

I also give you this…

And the most cheesy video you will ever see..

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zim3wnX2vBo[/video]

zokes
    Free Member

Looking forward to it. I’ll be in the pub for most of it though so hopefully vavafroome dog still in yellow by the time I get in. I’m hoping to be out longer than England will be at the cricket through 😉

nedrapier

Cheers Realman.

Driving to France this afternoon. Will have to get into some streaming in the car.

IvanDobski
    Free Member

After the last couple of days I’ve taken a punt on Quintana for the GC – 20/1.

If Froome wins then it’s money well spent, if he doesn’t I’m a couple of hundred quid better off..

(I’ve also covered my bases with Contador and Rodriguez as well)

joeydeacon
    Free Member

I can see Contador trying something ridiculous from miles out, ultimately being unsuccessful / possibly losing 2nd place. I like his never say die attitude though.

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Hopefully it’ll be interesting and blown apart on the first climb, leaving the big contenders to fight it out alone over the next few climbs.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Froome will just be defensive today till the last climb …he may watch as Quintana does a break away and then just look at Bertie [ who will try something utterly pointless that wont work]

Sadly it does not really matter what happens as without a crash no is getting 5 minutes on Froome as he is faster than them mid bonk

I think he may just sit back and defend from now on though he has not done yet on any stage

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Ivan …. can you place eachway bets…. I’ve looked on a number of betting sites but I don’t think it’s possible ??

nedrapier

Sky sport director Nicolas Portal brought Froome’s bike to the UCI’s tent, accompanied by a UCI commissaire. He was nonplussed by the checks, despite the late notice.

“Normally, they say nothing; it’s a surprise. They just say, ‘Ok, your bike, your bike, your bike,’ at the finish. It’s a gamble, just like anti-doping,”

Odd choice of words there. No gamble at all if you’re within the rules?

D0NK

Huge victory for Riblon, especially considering he crashed..

that wasn’t a crash* he merely took a very wide line 🙂

*assuming he only had the one, dunno how much itv highlight show misses out

No gamble at all if you’re within the rules?

I assumed he meant the testers are gambling not the teams.

RealMan
    Free Member

Maybe he meant to say “lottery”..

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Realman +1

Lost in translation

Junkyard
    Free Member

Normally, they say nothing; it’s a surprise. They just say, ‘Ok, your bike, your bike, your bike,’ at the finish. It’s a gamble, just like anti-doping,

I think the dig is at Contador and they were complaining they got advance notice of the test so they could adapt their behaviour to comply if they were cheating

I dont think they were moaning for themselves as Froome did not change bike

FWIW I think changing bike should be banned – May allow it in a TT but even then I am not that convinced tbh

crazy-legs

“Normally, they say nothing; it’s a surprise. They just say, ‘Ok, your bike, your bike, your bike,’ at the finish. It’s a gamble, just like anti-doping,”

Bad choice of words certainly. On the other hand, he’s French, English isn’t his first language so I’ll accept a non-sequitur there.

Can’t understand why on earth the UCI announced their bike weight checks. It should be like anti-doping – random at the end of each stage (actually anti-doping isn’t random in that the top three on each stage, all the jersey holders and usually 3 randoms are tested) but they should just do the same every day with the bikes.

D0NK

do they keep an eye on the bikes midstage? So when contador’s second bike was tested, which he switched again mid race, was definitely the one he had been using? or they hadn’t had a chance to pour sand/water/lead shot down the seat tube before testing.
    Not that I’m suggesting he would cheat….

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Can’t understand why on earth the UCI announced their bike weight checks.

Reckon there’s been enough cheating in cycling as it is.

This way they stop the cheating without having to ban anyone and the further bad publicity that would bring

joeydeacon
    Free Member

The whole bike weight thing seems a bit pointless anyway.. think it was Simoni (correct me if I’m wrong) who used to have weights stuck to the top of his crossbar to make weight, and pretty sure Nibali had weights inserted down his seat tube which obviously gave no structural strength to the bike.

molgrips
    Free Member

Isn’t it because they have to be production bikes? So the manufacturers make frames and components as light as they can, the teams choose light wheels for obvious reasons, and end up having to stick weights in the frame.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

It’s mad to consider how out of date the bike weight limit is.

Should be a cracker of a stage today, wonder who left some juice (not not dope….) in their legs!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lone loony bin break written all over that stage profile.

Oddly, am pleased to have seen a French stage winner, as I think the Tour needs that in France to continue the national passion for it.

Today? Hmmm.

Millar or Cuddles attacking off the Epine?

Surely something’s wrong with Cuddles, though. He looked pale and disinterested during the TT the other day. Illness, or just given up?

brakes
    Free Member

Col du Gland :sniggers:

IvanDobski
    Free Member

And we’re up and away on eurosport – nice early start.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Vockler in a break along with another couple,of Europcar chapeau s, maybe a Sojason & Cofodis day buoyed up with a French win yesterday perhaps.

Another killer stage, seems a bit mental sticking another huge mountain stage just after yesterday’s spin to the top.

Bonkers.

tinsy
    Free Member

I am going to say it again, Porte was just brilliant yesterday.

I hope he gets a GC crack at Vuelta for his efforts.

Contador goes up in my opinion daily, he does not know what giving up is.

Cracking Tour.

Todays prediction Contador goes for it on Col de la Madeleine.

igm

I loved the short of someone (Movistar?) leading one of the descents with half a dozen water bottles down his shirt. Carrying water for the team (who were all behind him at the time) or adding weight for the downhill?

Any chance Brailsford will have had a quiet chat about alliances with Quintana’s and Rodrigeuz’s bosses last night? They might have some common ground today (ie they’re not Saxo Tinkers).

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another killer stage, seems a bit mental sticking another huge mountain stage just after yesterday’s spin to the top.

”Vous êtes des assassins! Oui, des assassins!’

ransos
    Free Member

Glandon’s a beautiful climb – doubt we’ll see much of it on the highlights as it’s early on.

brakes
    Free Member

showing your age there Flash. not many remember the 1910 TdF.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Not many have written a dissertation on the impact of cycling on French culture, Brakes! 🙂

crazy-legs

The whole bike weight thing seems a bit pointless anyway.. think it was Simoni (correct me if I’m wrong) who used to have weights stuck to the top of his crossbar to make weight, and pretty sure Nibali had weights inserted down his seat tube which obviously gave no structural strength to the bike.

Even years ago it was out of date. Cannondale copped a massive fine one year for running bikes with lead weights under the saddle in a protest at how ridiculous the rules were so the UCI responded by changing the rules to state that all weight must be structural – ie no lead weights down the seat-tube. 🙄

The common trick used to be to fill the seat tube with ice which would melt during the day and run out of the hole in the bottom of the BB shell. Almost unnoticeable and mechanics would explain away the condensation on the seattube by jet-washing the bike. 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

Doffs beret to CFH..

brakes
    Free Member

a dissertation on the impact of cycling on French culture

can you provide a 10 word synopsis?

16stonepig
    Free Member

can you provide a 10 word synopsis?

The impact of cycling on French culture is quite significant.

D0NK

326 kilometers in length, featured 7 brutal climbs, and was raced on unsealed roads with single-gear bicycles

While he may have a point the SS way is not to whine about it but grit your teeth get your head down and gurn your way to the end
    or get off and walk

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😀 @ 16stonepig! Pretty much spot on.

There’s plenty there, and not all about Le Tour. It is, however, pretty much a towering issue over all of France, and the effect is massive.

NZCol

Man this tour is killing me. Last night I vowed to watch the first hour, ended up still on the sofa at 3 am and was at work 3 hous later. Tonight I have some lovely Emersons Milk Stout et une grande plat de fromage so I foresee another 3am finish.

Did you see that fella telling the Froomedog he was a drug cheat and getting a perfectly measured nd reasonable reply ? Chapeau Mr Froomedog.

This is going to be an epic ride.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Most of the teams glued lead weights to the bottom of the BB shells to hit the weight limit til the structural element of the rule came in. Female podium placed rider recently DQ’ed for underweight bike according to ITV4 early commentary answering tweets, reckoned they announced the checks to avoid any unwanted controversy.

headfirst
    Free Member

Did you see that fella telling the Froomedog he was a drug cheat and getting a perfectly measured nd reasonable reply ? Chapeau Mr Froomedog.

No I missed that, are you talking about the press or a ‘fan’ on the roadside? More details please

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

What the hell are Quickstep doing at the moment!?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 116 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 19 – A Day For The Bold [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.