Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • TdF Stage 14 – Strength In Numbers [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

A 191km stage that takes us to Lyon, where, on paper, there is little chance of the sprinters being in contention. Once again the exception to that rule is Peter Sagan, who has got a broader range of talent than the usual candidates for the green jersey. In addition, he should find this finish is right up his street since it is located after the Côte de la Croix-Rousse and the Côte de la Duchère. In short, it’s a tricky stage, and certainly tricky enough for Lotto and Quick Step to have no interest in pace-making? Before the rendezvous with the Ventoux, there is another scenario too. A number of the baroudeurs will put a tick next to this stage. That could mean there is strength in numbers…

I think I could write a small book on yesterday’s stage, but I’ll just say this: The stage, from start to finish, was a masterclass of tactics. If you didn’t watch it, watch some highlights. Best stage of the tour so far.

Alternatively, just read this

Tour de France: Stage 13 -Cavendish

[video]http://vimeo.com/70213403[/video]

I was quiet yesterday in an attempt not to jinx anything. It didn’t work, so screw it. Cav will win. He has to. It’s just not fair anymore.

He still has to win in Paris though, beating him there should be a bannable offense.

Photos from Stage 13

Today is a very tough one to call. I reckon Flecha might be one (among many) to watch, but I think Cannondale will be looking to set it up for Sagan, like in stage 7. It’s not that hilly, but it is too hilly I think for Cav, Greipel, Kittel, to be in for a chance. Could a long break stay away? I think the safest bet is Sagan, but could be really really wrong.

There’s going to be a lot of tired legs after yesterday, and tomorrow is going to be hard too (although no huge wind predicted, and warm, not stupidly hot), so surely the GC guys will want to take it easy today? This year, who knows?

A technical finish – a small, twisty climb with 10km to go, and then a series of sharp turns, before straightening out for the final 3km.

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

After yesterday’s chaos, Ro5ey`s Roulers by andy rose takes first place in the fantasy league. Of course, I’m still at the bottom of the loser league, and while I can appreciate Contador’s brilliant move yesterday, it disgusts me that he’s picking up points…

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/has-cavendish-lost-his-tour-de-france-sprint-crownno

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/froome-pragmatic-about-losing-time-to-tour-de-france-rivals

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-heaps-praise-on-team-after-dramatic-tour-de-france-stage-13-win

I actually did more watts in the sprint over to the front group than I did in the finish.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/sky-not-worried-about-team-strength-to-support-froome-at-tour-de-france

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-i-still-have-to-attack-in-the-alpson making yesterday’s move

https://www.change.org/petitions/aso-amaury-sports-organization-allow-female-professional-cycling-teams-to-race-the-tour-de-francea petition to create a women’s Tour de France

Have a look at this too, notice how his day doesn’t involve getting it stuck under the finish line, I like that – it’s professional.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1MwXpjfffs[/video]

RealMan
    Free Member

After that I am rather excited about today’s stage. Very lumpy. Where’s the official stage 14 thread? RealMan still in bed?

Here it is. And yes, I am 😉

no_eyed_deer
    Free Member

Froome’s up against it and we may find that Contador is ‘managing’ his heamocrit levels rather well, come the alps.. 😉

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Junkyard
    Free Member

I think Cannondale will be looking to set it up for Sagan, like in stage 7.

This the other teams will be tired and they nknow if they give it some gas theywill drop the other sprinters so if he wants it bad enough he can get it

The dopers team will be tired and it will be down to the mountains where Froome will have repeated attacks- IMHO he still has the legs of them all though

swavis

I was gonna go for Tommy V today but I think he’ll go for Mont Ventoux tomorrow, so Dan Martin in a another breakaway!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Would it get on the telly? Would you watch it if it was? I’d most likely watch it if it was on.

Interesting to see women’s cycling get a push in McQuaid’s manifesto. Probably just thinks it’s a vote winner.

Bazz

Could be a day for Thomas de Gendt, Vaconsoleil are looking for a new sponsor so want some exposure and this stage i think would suit him.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@RealMan interesting your comment about it being the best stage, it’s the first one I’ve watched all the way and I thought it was fascinating (I’m no expert on road cycling)

@mrblobby – women’s participation is very important wrt the Olympics, so if we want to see cycling in the games it needs to be in events where there is a alance between male and female athletes

RealMan
    Free Member

Who’s that getting up the road?

Junkyard
    Free Member

women’s participation is very important wrt the Olympics

With respect watching womens cycling would be like ignoring the real TdF to watch some amateurs race – ok not that bad but out of interest does anyone know if the women pros are faster than a top drawer elite amateur?

I used to watch a lot of womens football and whilst they were better than me it was much lower standard than male football and it still is

Not sure what we do to equalise the imbalance created by men being basically bigger and stronger than women
    If you want to watch the best and the fastest then you want to watch women.

crazy-legs

Not sure what we do to equalise the imbalance created by men being basically bigger and stronger than women
    If you want to watch the best and the fastest then you want to watch women.

I presume you meant to type:
    If you want to watch the best and the fastest then you want to watch men
    ??

It’s not about watching the best and the fastest, it’s about watching sport.
    The Olympic Men’s RR was dull as ditchwater compared to the Women’s.

I’m not convinced that Twitter and FB campaigns for a Women’s TdF are the right way to go about more women’s cycle sport – there’s a Giro Rosa (women’s version of the Giro d’Italia) but how many on here knew about it? Get that on TV first. Compelling all the pro teams to run a Women’s team as well would be a good start but would take probably 3 years to get set up and get the talent coming through to be able to compete at that level. Havng a formal structure to the sport – minimum wages, a decent varied race calendar – would be the best thing to do to start off.

We can move on to having a Women’s TdF once that’s in place.

Anyway – what’s happening so far in Stage 14?

mrblobby
    Free Member

Had a feeling about Jens when I saw the course this morning… and he’s in the break 🙂

RealMan
    Free Member

All about to kick off now..

Junkyard
    Free Member

it is getting interesting…still time for Sagan 😳

jambalaya
    Free Member

nice finish …

RealMan
    Free Member

Very exciting.

Junkyard
    Free Member

aye been a good stage and tomorrow will be interesting.

ell_tell
    Free Member

*odd question alert*

I love reading all about the rider etiquette in the tour but it got me wondering what happens if/when riders in a breakaway need to stop for a call of nature. Stopping would surely see the chasing peloton reel them in… so what do they do? Hold it in? Point and pee whilst riding?

RealMan
    Free Member

Hold it in? Point and pee whilst riding?

Not quite sure, but I imagine one of those.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@ell_tel – I think generally they are de-hydrated so not an issue, otherwise just piss down your leg ?

D0NK

Junkyard check your phone/email pls, trying to get in touch, cheers.

Junkyard
    Free Member

OK scurries off to the real world

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 14 – Strength In Numbers [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.