Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • TdF Stage 14 – A Coalition Of Attackers [Spoilers]
  • RealMan
    Free Member

Two legendary peaks, the Lautaret and the Izoard, will spice things up before the summit finish in Risoul, which has already featured in the Tour de l’Avenir and the Critérium du Dauphiné. The idea we had in mind when designing the stage was putting the 19-kilometre Izoard as a springboard for a last hour of racing which will keep us on the edge of our seats… A coalition of attackers, why not? If the 2014 Froome is as strong as the 2013 Froome, we have to give his rivals the chance to look for chinks in his armour. This stage, the second and last one in the Alps, will provide ample opportunity for them to do just that.

I was struggling to take Nibali seriously until yesterday – and now I sincerely doubt anyone can come close to beating him. Valverde looks like a strong contender for a podium place, but who else? Pinot looks stronger and stronger, he really is coming on in leaps and bounds. Be interesting to see how he performs in the TT though. Another rider who has impressed me a lot (and surprised me) has been Tejay – he’s underperformed for quite a while now, but is riding fantastically this year.

The big story was of course Richie Porte’s legs going zub zub. I’m very disappointed to see that happen as I’m a huge fan and he’s a brilliant rider and really nice guy. I hope he can consolidate and get a stage win, and maybe move back into the top 10. This tour has been a disaster from the start for Sky.

Another rider I’d like to mention is Mollema. He’s a very quiet rider, but has a sneaky 7th place, and I think he’s only going to move up. One to watch (if you can spot him).

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tour-de-france/stage-13/results

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/porte-melts-as-tour-de-france-hits-the-high-mountains

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NoCk9y3F20[/video]

It’s great to see a brilliant rider at the top of his game.

Photos from stage 13.

Today is another proper tough day – even tougher than yesterday. With the way Nibali has been riding I would not be surprised if he gets even more time and another win. However, a break might stay away – we’ll have to see. I think Pinot may gain some more time, but I don’t think there will be a lot of GC change, maybe just widening of the gaps. I’d love to be proved wrong though, could be very exciting.

A few useful links

Live Cycling News Text Updates
    Steephill
    Official Tour Live Feed App
    Classifications
    Withdrawals
    Fantasy League Standings
    Loser League Standings

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cavendish-back-to-training-after-tour-de-france-crashgood to hear

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cheng-proud-to-be-making-history-at-the-tour-de-francegreat little article on a rider who deserves far more credit than he gets

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AC0_1jIqujY[/video]

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’m up for a solid but unphased GC and a break to stay away. Tapping out a solid rythum will be the two French boys and once again Rodreguez. Izoards a stable settled climb so the attacks will come on the last claim which maybe unknown to some.

Cap on, Clip in.

tonyg2003

I rode over the Lautaret and Izoard when I rode the Raid Alpine a couple of weeks ago. The top of the Izoard is not exactly “steady” it has some pretty brutal 11-12% straight sections after km 12. Although we rode the Vars after Izoard, the Risoul looks about as nasty as the Vars.

After yesterday I can’t see anyone beating Nibali, who can just defend now.

Also yesterday was another example of why Porte isn’t a GC contender and absolutely puts together the SKY BS that Brad wasn’t good enough to take along.

MrOvershoot

RealMan – Member

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/cheng-proud-to-be-making-history-at-the-tour-de-france – great little article on a rider who deserves far more credit than he gets

Nice to see him getting written about, love how he felt proud when another rider gave him a friendly dig about ripping their legs off. He’s going to be in demand at contract time.
    Hope he has enough energy to make it to Paris as 1. he will make a bit of history 2. Kittel will need him to chase down the inevitable breakaway on the Champs-Élysées

big_n_daft
    Free Member

all I can say about Sky is… #whereswiggo 😉

There is plenty still to do and one bad day for Nibali opens it up

personally I hope the French do over Valverde at every opportunity

Crell
    Free Member

There’ll be some sore legs after yesterday. I can see them testing Nibali on the Izoard to see if he’s more spent than the rest of the field, but he’s such a good descender he stands a decent chance of pulling back time before the climb to Risoul.

The Risoul climb is nasty. If anyone held anything back yesterday they stand a good chance of pulling away in a break or if they’re GC it’s definitely a climb where you can open up a big gap because of the sustained gradient.

Should be a great day IF anyone’s got anything left.

Haze

d’Izoard remains my best day out on a bike to date, looking forward to this.

rusty90
    Free Member

Interesting pic from BikeRadar – the roll of honour in the broom wagon. Some good riders there!

Meanwhile Thomas and Nieve in the break trying to salvage something for Sky

beej

Did this route as part of Haute Route in 2012 (except we started at the top of Alpe D’Heuz and came down Sarenne before starting Lautaret). Risoul climb isn’t too bad although I was fecked by that point, Izoard is a bitch near the top. I honestly can’t remember a thing about Lautaret.

Glad they are showing on TV from the start, I can try and remind myself.

Prediction – winner from the break, no big change on GC.

anagallis_arvensis

Is that Wrynose Pass? I’m sure they played crazy golf in keswick the other day!

crazy-legs

Some nice scenery from the helicopter shots today. 🙂

Good to see G in the break, maybe Sky can rescue something from the Tour.

Crell
    Free Member

Nic Roche is in there as well. Lol at Pinot getting in the camper van.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The big story was of course Richie Porte’s legs going zub zub. I’m very disappointed to see that happen as I’m a huge fan and he’s a brilliant rider and really nice guy. I hope he can consolidate and get a stage win, and maybe move back into the top 10. This tour has been a disaster from the start for Sky.

All I can add is he is a nice guy, not sure how that compares to the other gc guys as he is the only one I have met. Will buy him a beer when I next see him. Not much more to say but I missed last night’s stage and an entire island hoped.

RealMan
    Free Member

Great pic rusty90, doesn’t look like much space left there..

All I can add is he is a nice guy, not sure how that compares to the other gc guys as he is the only one I have met. Will buy him a beer when I next see him. Not much more to say but I missed last night’s stage and an entire island hoped.

He’s still only 29, he’ll have more chances hopefully.

Never thought I’d say it, but great move from AG2R.

RealMan
    Free Member

Really really really not sure about Serpa’s moustache.

anagallis_arvensis

Getting a bit dull now.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Porte going backwards again today. I wonder how he can recover from this experience, I feel bad for him as he looked so strong last year and he’s clearly not got that form. Conclusions get drawn that he’s not a contender but he seems to me to have been below par all Tour.

marko75
    Free Member

Porte going backwards again today. I wonder how he can recover from this experience, I feel bad for him as he looked so strong last year and he’s clearly not got that form. Conclusions get drawn that he’s not a contender but he seems to me to have been below par all Tour.

I have the agree with that…. maybe GT will be the new No 2?

Klunk
    Free Member

not that strong last year blew up early in stage 9 and ended up losing 18 mins.

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

That’s it tied up surely, no one can touch Nibali barring an accident.

I’ll be shouting for the young French lads to push Valverde off the podium now!!

What about Schleck, maybe everyone wrote him off to soon.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

What about Schleck, maybe everyone wrote him off to soon.

Hmmm…….

Great watching the last 15k today – really enjoyed that.

crazy-legs

Good win by Rafael Mijka and a bonus for me cos I’ve got Tinkoff-Saxo as my sweepstake team at work so that’s a couple of pounds return.

Nibali really is just playing with everyone else. Guess we’ll be left to speculate as to what it could have been with Froome and Contador still in there…

whippersnapper
    Free Member

Another good days racing. Its nice to see the young lot getting a chance. I hope Pinot and Badet can both get Valverde

Chew
    Free Member

Nibbles smashes it again. Good to see him attacking rather than just defending all the time, as we’ve seen with Sky in previous years.

RealMan – Keep up the good work, these treads are great 🙂

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Nibali really is just playing with everyone else. Guess we’ll be left to speculate as to what it could have been with Froome and Contador still in there…

Yep, this question will never ever go away. Could have been one of the best Tours we’ve seen. The question is there though and there sure as hell isn’t a definitive answer so at least we won’t have to repeat the tired 2012 “he was gifted a win” bull.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 14 – A Coalition Of Attackers [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.