Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)
  • TdF Stage 11 – A Very Tight Race [Spoilers]
  • mrblobby
    Free Member

Reckon he might just give it up for a stage win right now 🙂

mudshark
    Free Member

Didn’t see on TV but seems he worked too hard too early as he did a few stages back. This time he sat up though – losing a few places? Doesn’t seem to care about us faithful fans who put him in our fantasy teams.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Marion Rousse is a pundit on eurosport (not ours).

Can someone give Sagan some tactical advice? He’s far too visible and does far too much work with 5km still left ‘look at me, see how strong I am, I’m the wolverine hear me roar’.

Meanwhile Dekonkolb turns off his invisibility cloak and appears at the front with 100m to go.

mrblobby
    Free Member

mudshark, it was more a tactical thing with Kwiatkowski sitting there. If he’d have gone after Gallopin then he’d have given Kwiatkowski a free ride to the finish. Gallopin played it perfectly. Sort of like a mini version of this years Paris Roubaix finish.

lemonysam
    Free Member

If Sagan doesn’t take tomorrow there’s got to be a good chance he’ll go home without a stage this year. I wouldn’t have seen that coming.

speckledbob
    Free Member

Yes. Kwaitkowski is now Sagan’s Sagan to Cancellara. Eh?

JCL
    Free Member

As an aside, such bullshit from Lemond, saying that somehow bike handling is genetic….

It’s bullshit that you think it isn’t.

crazy-legs

Watching the highlights now, this final descent is incredible! Missed this bit live.

Shame that Phil Liggett has told me several times about how they’re using every inch of the tarmac although at least none of them are former mountain bikers…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Epic ride by Talansky and an extremely heartwarming win for Tony..

Bloody brilliant that. 😀

RustyMac

Just seen the highlights. Is there something fundamentally wrong with the Cannondale team tactics?

There have been a number of stages now that have been touted as stages For Sagan but he has constantly been left isolated in the last few km of the stages in a position where when one rider attacks and no one will support Sagan in chasing them down as they expect him to out sprint them.

Or is it simply that Sagan needs a little more nouse?

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Burns his team chasing the break ‘cos “it’s a stage for Sagan”, gets left alone at the finish then everyone sits on his wheel. He’s basically ****. Stay in the pack and risk losing to the bigger sprinters or give it a go and have to chase every attack.

Good stage today, weird who you end up cheering for at times. Was screaming for Gallopin at the end, brilliant move!

Feel bad for Talansky, def think he had the form for a top 5. Another one with to much bad luck.

slackalice
    Free Member

That was an amazing ride by Gallopin, very impressive given that he looked dad and buried whilst wearing yellow.

Do you suppose his girlfriend has given him a special promise if he wins a stage? 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

Said in the post race interview that he’d actually targeted and ridden the last few k’s of this one before the tour.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Do you suppose his girlfriend has given him a special promise if he wins a stage?

Christ, are we going to get this shit for the whole tour?

slackalice
    Free Member

I sincerely hope not, I only got 109 points today.

jfletch
    Free Member

Sagan’s tactics today were spot on IMO. If Cannondale don’t chase the break wins, so they chase. In the finale he had to follow moves else they would have slipped of the front without him, he didn’t force the move, just followed Kwiatkowski.

This left him in the winning move, can’t ask more than that, he gave himself a chance.

But when it was 4 he did all he could do. Sometimes in cycling you have to be willing to lose in order to win. If he’d chased down every break he would have been mugged finally so he was right to ask others to close gaps. It will pay off next time he is in a break when people may be less willing to call his bluff.

If he had a stronger team then maybe he would have been able to sit in and let his team close gaps in the run in but he doesn’t and other teams won’t do the work if he is there.

Cancellara had this issue a few years ago in the classics. He was so strong that everyone would look at him to close every gap, so he refused to chase and now people don’t call his bluff so much. Now he wins sprints from small groups instead of either being forced to chase every attack or go solo from a long way out.

Klunk
    Free Member

for a pro rider with a fantastic turn of speed he does seem to get dropped in those situations a bit too easily. Maybe he thinks Gallopins gone too early so it’s pointless getting his wheel but I don’t think so My guess is the pace set by Tony Martin on those final climbs just took the sting out of his legs so he was unable to cover the attack as he should have done. He was a little below par in the last 100 meters too.

JCL
    Free Member

JCL – have you actually seen the crash where Froome was taken down?
    Did you notice that it had nothing to do with bike handling?
    Do you also realise that, as his wrist was fractured, he could hardly put any pressure on his bars with one hand, hence the falls the next day. The team had already been prepped that he probably wouldn’t make it through that day.

Apologies for not responding to your post earlier. Only just noticed it.

Which of the four crashes since the Tour started are we talking about not being his fault?

This one at 30 seconds? https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CCbQGwf-Oo0

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This one at 30 seconds?

He certainly didn’t cause that one (peleton splits round the roundabout?) as he was already in the team car when that happened.
    In the entire video you linked to I didn’t see him crash one, I saw the afters but nothing else. I watched the stage live and was surprised nobody caught the crashes. But then again it was fairly wet and hard to see.

anagallis_arvensis

JCL you need to up your game…try to find better bait!

wwaswas

Talansky abandons “suffering from crash injuries and “acute sacroiliitis” for his hip say his team”

atlaz
    Free Member

Talansky was followed to the line by the broom wagon. Good effort from him tho.

It’s bullshit that you think it isn’t.

I think there’s an element of having good genes in terms of being a cyclist but a lot of it is that the bike is an integral part of the family life. Frank and Andy Schlecks dad was a pro and at the age of 12, Andy Schleck was already beating his dad up the Ventoux. Part of that is down to the fact the things that made his dad “suitable” physiologically for riding are in him too but part of it was that he was riding bikes as soon as he could walk and wanting to do what dad did.

I think bike handling is learned by riding, particularly riding with people better than yourself, and if you’re Schleck or Axel Merckx or Tony Gallopin that means your dad, uncles or their mates are pros and are likely to be pretty handy people to learn from.

theotherjonv

Liked the ITV4 comment last night about Robbie McEwen and Andrew Talansky having a brief chat about masculinity.

Proper effort from Talansky thereafter. Shame he’s now abandoned, but he’s done it with balls intact.

brakes
    Free Member

he’s probably massively dehydrated from all that blubbing.

Viewing 24 posts - 81 through 104 (of 104 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 11 – A Very Tight Race [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.