• This topic has 360 replies, 83 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kudos.
Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 361 total)
  • TdF Stage 10 – Spectacular Fireworks [Spoilers]
  • monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Oooft! What a stage, can’t believe Contador is out, madness. Absolute madness!

I was so turned on by Tony Martin’s performance today. He hit the wall so hard I can’t believe he finished the stage!

What happened to Talansky? Didn’t seem to get a mention on ITV highlights when he got dropped.

Karma for Specialized, brand new frame tries to kill Contador 😛

jfletch
    Free Member

Just watched highlights. Deffinately no broken bike controvacy.

You can see contador on his own with bike lying on the bank, grey with orange highlights. Then after being patched up his mechanic runs up the road holding the bike that was on the verge and it’s fully intact.

No team mates anywhere near so it’s not someone elses bike.

The “on Roache’s bike” link stacks up afterall. Maybe the unfamiliar set up made Contador crash but the bike didn’t break.

chrismac

Seems like these guys need stabilisers. What is it this year with all the favourites falling off left, right and centre.

cheers_drive

Tony Martin after hitting the wall did a good impression of me riding fresh up that sort of climb

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

I believe it’s called rain .

lemonysam
    Free Member

Seems like these guys need stabilisers. What is it this year with all the favourites falling off left, right and centre.

There has only been two more abandons so far this year than to this point last, which given the weather is pretty remarkable.

RealMan
    Free Member

Yep, Nibali isn’t the best TTer, but neither is Porte.
    I think Porte would have to go into the TT with a slight lead to have a chance.

2010, Porte came 4th in the World Time Trial Championships, and won the TT stage of the Tour de Romandie

2011, Porte came 1st Stage 4 (ITT) Vuelta a Castilla y León, 1st Stage 5 (ITT) Post Danmark Rundt, and 6th World Time Trial Championships

2013, Porte came 1st in stage 7 (ITT) of Paris-Nice, and 1st stage 2 (ITT) Criterium International

So yeah, I’d disagree with you on that one…

Porte looks like a number 2, a “true” gc contender doesn’t look round for someone else to take it up when your main contender goes up the road…..

What??

So day off tomorrow, and then service will resume as normal on Wednesday. Hopefully all questions (apart from who’s going to win) will be answered by then…

jfletch
    Free Member

Neither Porte nor Niballi are slouches in the ITT, Porte certainly isn’t 2.30 faster. He needs to get some time back before stage 20 if he is to have any chance. I can’t see it personally but you neve know.

As for the crashes I don’t think the number is that remarkable. What is more unusual is that the two favourites have both gone out.

Porte looks like a number 2, a “true” gc contender doesn’t look round for someone else to take it up when your main contender goes up the road…..

What??
    [/quote]

I can see the reasoning behind that comment. You can’t see Froome or Contador being too worried who they were dragging to the line. They would be focused on catching the leader. Porte said in his post race interview that he didn’t want to be left to close the gap on his own, but as virtual second place on GC that his job unless he is riding for second.

lazybike
    Free Member

Just watched highlights. Deffinately no broken bike controvacy.

Maybe just a bit…

RealMan
    Free Member

I can see the reasoning behind that comment. You can’t see Froome or Contador being too worried who they were dragging to the line. They would be focused on catching the leader. Porte said in his post race interview that he didn’t want to be left to close the gap on his own, but as virtual second place on GC that his job unless he is riding for second.

But you would always still try and get someone to help you – why wouldn’t you? Porte’s 100% on it, he knows exactly what he’s doing.

aracer
    Free Member

Some quite scathing comments from other members of the peleton about Contador and Saxo’s tactics on the descent
    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/contador-crashed-twice-on-one-descent

Oh and BTW I’ve just caught up with this thread having avoided it all day, but have been on the forum – well done to everybody for not posting spoiler thread titles.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

2 1/2 minute at this stage are a lot but now with the number of teams at that point. Astana will have to defend everything from Pinot, Valverde and Porte along with Gallopin and Bardet for the next few days as any one of them could put the time into Nibali on the right stage.

Sky look short on fire power and unable to hit the front like the last few year, unsurprising really with 2 men down, if Froome had stayed (unbroken) but been out of contention there would have been some more on fight I think)

As with the week so far anything can happen, we will see who has left too much on the road so far.

atlaz
    Free Member

Some quite scathing comments from other members of the peleton about Contador and Saxo’s tactics on the descent

TBH, if what they say is true, he brought it on himself. It’s a shame he got the fractures but I guess there’s a lesson in there for him and Saxo

mrhoppy

So the claim is the broken bike is Contadors spare and got hit against the bikes on the Belkin car as they passed them to get to Contadors (this is v4 of the story but the one theyre sticking to at the moment).

Still paints the Bianchi in a better light than the Specialized given there aren’t any pictures of a ruined Belkin bike.

atlaz
    Free Member

So the claim is the broken bike is Contadors spare and got hit against the bikes on the Belkin car as they passed them to get to Contadors (this is v4 of the story but the one theyre sticking to at the moment).

A photographer confirmed he saw the bike broken on the roof before the crash so I think it’s probably right. It’s a sign of the times that companies feel they have to issue statements about how the bike got broken even before the stage finishes and they can talk to everyone.

crazy-legs

http://road.cc/content/news/123757-real-story-what-happened-alberto-contadors-broken-specialized-tarmac-bike-tour

So the bike he actually crashed on was fine.
    And in all the rush of getting a new bike off the roof, it got tangled up in the passing Belkin car.

nemesis
    Free Member

Or so Specialized want you to believe 🙂

Nah, just kidding. I think that the explanation above makes more sense.

kudos
    Free Member

It’s a sign of the times that companies feel they have to issue statements about how the bike got broken even before the stage finishes and they can talk to everyone.

I think Spesh have shot themselves in the foot here, they rushed out a completely fabricated story that the bike had been run over to try and cover their arses and turned a little non-story into a potentially damaging scandal!

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

crazy legs apparently Im not authorised to view that link?

jfletch
    Free Member

I think Spesh have shot themselves in the foot here, they rushed out a completely fabricated story that the bike had been run over to try and cover their arses and turned a little non-story into a potentially damaging scandal!

They had to say something. Phil “the voice of cycling” Ligget had just announced to every English speaking tour viewer that Contador was our of the tour because his bike broke.

But you would always still try and get someone to help you – why wouldn’t you? Porte’s 100% on it, he knows exactly what he’s doing.

Nobody is going to help Porte in that scenario. He needs to get his head down and chase. If he doesn’t want to pull everyone to the line then drop them like Nibali did or Pinot did. I think in the end he just didn’t have it and he wanted someone else to stop him losing time but why would anyone do that?

hora
    Free Member

the passing Belkin car.

Isn’t that one of Specialized’s model names? Or sounds slightly similar 😉

kudos
    Free Member

Apparently it snapped at all the hidden Zertz inserts 😉

mrblobby
    Free Member

They had to say something. Phil “the voice of cycling” Ligget had just announced to every English speaking tour viewer that Contador was our of the tour because his bike broke.

Twitter age and all that, rumours and photos all over the internet, they had to issue some sort of statement quickly. They probably just got word that it’d been hit by a car and assumed it was run over.

Nobody is going to help Porte in that scenario.

Probably more important for Porte is marking his second place rivals, only abut 100 seconds covering the next 5 riders. He could easily have tried to go with Nibali only to blow and be mugged at the line for a few seconds. Podium at the tour is still a massive result and I can’t see him doing much to put that at risk now.

edit…

Great quote from Tony Martin…

“My goal was to lead him till the bottom of the second last climb. I gave 100% for that. Once there I was left with no more energy. Fortunately, I had a small gear that I could use, otherwise I would have been forced to stop.”

… the panzerwagen properly emptied the tank!

njee20
    Free Member

Not really, he said that he’d heard on race radio that Contador’s bike had broken and perhaps that’s why he’d crashed, then they had the photos as the end of the programme with the broken frame. They made no bones of the fact that they didn’t really know what had happened. Bit daft of Spesh though, who created a bit of a story out of nothing!

Lifer
    Free Member

Much better to have a look around and see what’s occurring than

blow and be mugged at the line for a few seconds

mogrim

TBH, if what they say is true, he brought it on himself. It’s a shame he got the fractures but I guess there’s a lesson in there for him and Saxo

Seems a bit weird that someone with Contador’s experience would be taking stupid risks, though. I do wonder how strong he actually was this year – perhaps he felt he had to make up time wherever he could…

mrblobby
    Free Member

That’s the thing with Porte, second at the Tour would be his best result ever, he’s not going to risk that in an all or nothing attack. Same goes for most of the top 10 now.

Seems a bit weird that someone with Contador’s experience would be taking stupid risks

I guess he has supreme confidence in his own abilities, which you probably need to get to the levels he’s reached. Same goes for being a bit of a risk taker. Guess it’s something he does all the time.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

eems a bit weird that someone with Contador’s experience would be taking stupid risks, though.

Was it a stupid risk though? It’s probably something he’d done thousands of time before with no problem. Sometimes shit happens.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’m not sure that eating on a descent (after big climbs) is taking stupid risks. The reality that people don’t like to accept is that to race something like the TdF, you’re constantly taking calculated risks. They all eat in similar circumstances and typically the roads at the TdF are well surfaced. Hitting a pothole just at the wrong moment is just bad luck really.

Same a CF’s first crash FWIW.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Not really, he said that he’d heard on race radio that Contador’s bike had broken and perhaps that’s why he’d crashed

Not really, phil said “theyre saying contadors bike broke!”, Sherwen immediately responded with “that will explain why he went down so hard”. They may have become more speculative after a call from Mike Sinyard’s lawyers but they were pretty unequivocal when they initially reported it, no “perhaps” about it.

I agree Spec would have done better to get all the facts first before rushing out what might have been an honestly held belief based on partial information.

wwaswas

does rather explain why he couldn’t clip in afterwards;

DenDennis
    Free Member

going back to Porte and GC potential, it will be good to see how he goes relative to Nibbles in those long alpine climbs, which he reckons suit him better than the steep sharp stuff like yesterday, which he only lost 20-odd seconds on.

could he get time off Nibs on those big mountain stages to set up a grandstand duel on the final TT? I know we generally moan about tours being won on the TTs but if its close enough by then it could be a real thriller! come on Richie!
    interesting quote from a David Walsh Times article here:

Back at the team hotel, Froome put on a mask and performed for the team. He went round and thanked both the staff and his teammates. He told them Richie Porte would take on the leadership of the team and would not let them down. With Porte, he spoke about this being his opportunity and how he was ready to take it.

He knew, Porte knew, what happened when they did their last timed climb of the Col de la Madone before leaving for Yorkshire. This has become their ritual last full-on training spin before the Tour and Porte beat the team leader. Froome went to Rozman to say goodbye, but also to tell the carer how he must now dedicate himself to Porte.

Lifer
    Free Member

whatnobeer – Member

“eems a bit weird that someone with Contador’s experience would be taking stupid risks, though.”

Was it a stupid risk though? It’s probably something he’d done thousands of time before with no problem. Sometimes shit happens.

There are comments from other riders saying it was a stupid risk

nemesis – Member

I’m not sure that eating on a descent (after big climbs) is taking stupid risks

Not mentioned by the riders he was overtaking.

Astana’s Jakob Fuglsang said: “Contador took a big risk. On a descent with bad asphalt, he passed us, went 10-15 km/h faster. 1k later he fell on his ass.”

Jurgen Van den Broeck had told Sporza: “It was Contador’s own fault. He stepped on the pedals to overtake and rode in a hole.”

molgrips
    Free Member

Porte looks relatively chunky* for a GC contender, maybe that’s why he prefers less steep stuff.

* healthy

aracer
    Free Member

Which is why

isn’t actually going to happen. There’s a rest day for the teams to digest things and decide that actually it’s not worth risking a 50%+ chance of being on the podium for a <5% chance of winning. That’s certainly the way it’s panned out in the past when the gap between 1st and 2nd has been larger than the gap between 2nd and 10th. Astana doesn’t have to mark Valverde because Sky will be marking Valverde.

mogrim

Dunno, according to the link aracer posted earlier the other riders were saying it was a stupid risk, and I suppose they ought to know. Bad luck obviously played a part, though.

nemesis
    Free Member

Yeah, hadn’t seen those comments – maybe he was taking risks (though I’m not really sure why he would – he was with the main group when he crashed AFAIK and I can’t imagine that he’d be trying to attack on the DH relatively early on the stage when he was likely to be strongest on the upcoming climbs.

jonba
    Free Member

Easy to say it was a stupid risk after he crashed. If he hadn’t it probably would have been a superb display of daring and skill.

I’m no pro rider 😉 but I don’t think you will win the Tour by taking it safe, especially not if you are a few minutes behind already. Same on the cobbles, I imagine it is not that hard to just ride them, even in those conditions – racing to win is a different matter.

atlaz
    Free Member

I’m no pro rider 😉 but I don’t think you will win the Tour by taking it safe, especially not if you are a few minutes behind already. Same on the cobbles, I imagine it is not that hard to just ride them, even in those conditions – racing to win is a different matter.

The suggestion was that he wasn’t attempting to get any time on the pack, just that for some reason he decided that he and Saxo should move up. They could have done that in the first few hundred metres of the next climb if they’d wanted but perhaps they decided that if they could be at the front when they hit the climb it’d be easier and worth the risk. Turned out, it wasn’t.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

Dunno, according to the link aracer posted earlier the other riders were saying it was a stupid risk, and I suppose they ought to know. Bad luck obviously played a part, though.

Easy to say with hindsight. It’s not like he over ran a corner and crashed, he hit a pot hole and went down. Probably would of been serious even if he’d been doing the same speed as everyone else.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 361 total)

The topic ‘TdF Stage 10 – Spectacular Fireworks [Spoilers]’ is closed to new replies.