Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • TDF riders doing the SDW in a Day?
  • richardg
    Free Member

After messing about a bit last week on the SDW(South Downs Way)I wonder does anyone know if any of the top roadies,Froome,Cav,Wiggo etc have ever done the SDW in a day and how long it took them or if not a guess as to how they might get on? I know the likes of Ian Leitch and Josh Ibbett can do it in 8hrs or so which is out of this world so would the roadies whip ’em?

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I did the south downs way at the weekend for the British heart foundation.
    I would expect the TDF riders to be doing it in less than 8 hours – it’s only 12.5 mph average which isn’t that much for world class riders of that fitness level. Froome trains in africa off road I thought

here’s my attempt

http://app.strava.com/activities/68537351

aracer
    Free Member

I reckon I know somebody who’d be faster than any of those you mention.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Lance does Leadville, and indeed won it, I recon you should ask him, or Levi Leiphimer.

I reckon 4 hours tops.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

no person can do it in 4 hours!

molgrips
    Free Member

My mate did it there and back in a day, and he’s not even close to being the best endurance racer n the country never mind a pro roadie.

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

I’m guessing when you say a day, you mean 24 hrs. it has been done 3 times in 36 too

Straightliner

The fact there are plenty of stop/starts for roads, gates and other hindrances means the average speed will drop even for an elite rider. I think Charlie Eustace did it one way in just over 7 hrs a few years ago, but he did have a monumental tail wind that day. Still, it all counts!

Junkyard
    Free Member

what would Liggett say about the handling skills of roadies on descents 😉

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

We had a terrible head wind on Saturday which was pretty crippling for speed at the top of the hills but was pleased to hit 40mph off road for the first time though

m1kea
    Free Member

PeaslakeDave

What terrible headwind? ❓

I’m being serious here as it wasn’t very windy and what there was was largely a NWerly.

I managed it in 9:49 elapsed – http://app.strava.com/activities/68508435

As to pro riders, I reckon you’d be looking at 7 hours depending on support levels – water changes & gate negotiation etc.

The main difference between Pros and the rest of us is they’d not be knacked for another 6 + hours riding the next day or the day after that.

njee20
    Free Member

Tim Dunford holds the one-way record still IIRC at 7:15. I don’t think a TdF rider would be all that much quicker frankly. 4 hours I assume was a joke?!

PeaslakeDave
    Free Member

there were winds of at least 20mph at times going in the opposite direction – That is what it was like for me on the last 30-40 miles anyway. Usually the wind would have been in our favour. 9.49 is a very good time.did you get any punctures? were you 1st back?

EDIT: just had a peek at your strava profile. average of 10 rides a week! and average 2 hours every day. doing this much I’m not so surprised at your time

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Junkyard – lazarus

what would Liggett say about the handling skills of roadies on descents

Of course, you’d be riding on a “misnomer”, which is what a mountain bike is, according to Gary Imlach…

ac282

IIRC Tim was over an hour behind the winner in the Cristalp so I think there would be scope for a sub 7 ride possibly sub 6.30 (SDW isn’t as tough a course so the gaps won’t be as big)

m1kea
    Free Member

Based on similar conditions and being more organised with my stops, I reckon I could get close to 9 hours. 8.5 or less is seriously speedy 8)

Dave, I honestly don’t believe there were any significant head winds en route. I’ve been on the Downs and had my glasses shifted on my face it’s been so windy. Oh and I didn’t start until 7:40 so definitely wouldn’t have been an early finisher.

IMO there aren’t enough descents to bring average speeds back up so you’re looking at tanking each and every climb. I’d like to geek some stats from the fast boys just to see where time is made or lost.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Ok 4.5 hours but I’m not budging one iota on that estimate..

You need Michael Rasmussen or Lance or Bjarne Riis or Levi or Tyler all in their own “hayday” era..

Ya git me??

epicyclo

Adam Hansen regularly wins the Croc Trophy in North Queensland – a 6 day stage mtb race.

Doubt it would take him long.

Mick Hannah – downhiller – is also pretty handy on a long haul. He does week long rides hauling a heavy a trailer (with his dad’s gear in it) in Queensland.

singletrackmind

Depends on several factors . – weather , gates , support , ground conditions .
    If its a 20mph headwind and raining its going to be alot longer than a 20mph tailwind and sunshine.
    Good dry conditions, support crew and gate openers around 5 hrs maybe.
    Cold wet and windy alpine style with clag on the ground prob 7 hrs.

Having watched big Maggy race around the Big Dog course I can say for sure the difference between a Pro and Sport rider is significant

boriselbrus
    Free Member

Ok 4.5 hours but I’m not budging one iota on that estimate..

You need Michael Rasmussen or Lance or Bjarne Riis or Levi or Tyler all in their own “hayday” era..

Ya git me??

4 hours is a 25mph average. That’s pretty much the speed they ride the tour at. On the road. On road bikes. On flat stages. In a peloton. With no gates to open or roads to cross.

Six to seven hours seems more reasonable.

VanHalen

Well I need to man up. I judge myself moderate bike fitness and I recon I would have done 12hours as it was I Hung about to encourage a struggleing mate. Defo a headwind on the exposed bits when it looked like it might rain.

Maybe next year!

9 ish hours is pretty impressive.

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t think you know what I’m getting at. ..

Should I spell it out. .

Ok. D as in drink, R as in Retard… You can guess the rest. . 😆

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘TDF riders doing the SDW in a Day?’ is closed to new replies.