Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)
  • Tazzy's Wobbly Rings – Anything current? Anyone keen?
  • nedrapier

Got mine this morning, it seems wonkier in real life than it looks in the pictures!

tazzy, any more news on the set-up tips? I’ll be using mine with a tensioner, so I guess that takes care of things?

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Landed this morning.

tazzymtb

sorry folks, have been “away” for a few days. Set up instruction PDF available on the one-cog facebook group.

tazzymtb

Oh and for the miserable sods. Rings should be £45, yes their IT gimboid cocked it up putting the rings on the web recently, from memory they were on at 39 quid instead of the proper 45.

So even with all your moaning/conspiracy theory you would still get it 4 quid cheaper than the error and with free postage.

Bear in mind that I get cock all for this as well and have no involvement with BETD, just trying to help out other riders in the “spirit of STW” as some one asked me to do and has I have done in the past. Frankly all the comparisons with chain reaction, price rip offs etc… just makes me realise that the spirit of STW seems to be pretty sodding small minded , petty and filled with bile these days.

so if you want your rings cheap you’ve got until tomorrow than they are back to full price (which is still about £25.00 cheaper than the comparable rotor Q singlespeed ring) otherwise you can kindly cock off and I can’t be arsed to help out again.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Top job Taz – much appreciated.

nedrapier

Tazzy, I’d have sent you an email if it was in your profile, and if you’d replied to that or this thread:

“I don’t really have anything to do with them, really, and it was a bit of a ballache last time. They’re still a decent price as they are. Soz, Taz.”

That would have been absolutely fair enough. But you didn’t, you went out of your way to help because you’re a decent sort and it’s been much appreciated.

Don’t let the bastards grind you down.

Ed

Gotama
    Free Member

Reasoning for my post was that I initially thought that BETD were trying to be a bit cheeky by telling you that they would do a discount and then slipping the price up, which i thought wasn’t fair on you. In hindsight it would have been easier for me to clarify by phoning them and then i’d have found out it was a simple IT error rather than relying on you to do it 🙄 😳 Anyway, apologies if it was me that boiled your p1ss, thanks for sorting the deal out, very much appreicated.

messiah
    Free Member

Thanks Tazzy. Have wee drink and chill.

Keef
    Free Member

a. it don’t take much to upset Taz (it’s always ‘time of the month’) 😉

b.He could’t answer on here,’cus he was banned for saying a naughty.

c.both Taz and BETD are nop notch chaps,and always willing to help a fellow out.

just saying,like.

oh and P.S. Wonkey cogs are the dogs danglies 😉

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

sorry folks, have been “away” for a few days. Set up instruction PDF available on the one-cog facebook group.

Got a link?

can’t find it through search

tomatoevousparlour
    Free Member

My ring turned up yesterday, very impressed so far, thanks Taz

Keef
    Free Member
    messiah
    Free Member

Do we have to “Join” one cog to get that?

shaley
    Free Member

I presume they cannot be used in a 2x setup?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Cheers Tazzy, muchos appreciatos da timos un effortos u hath givn to elp us whiney STW’s…

Wobbly wobble, peddly peddle.. 😆

mattjg
    Free Member

Just fitted the 34t to my Swift.

* it fits nicely on the middle ring of an SLX HT2 crankset
    * I had just enough adjustment in the EBB that I didn’t need to adjust the chain length (from 32T), the the EBB is wound right back now, not ideal. (But presumably adding in a whole chain link would put it way to the front again – no good either?)
    * rode it up the road 100m in total, it felt a tad odd, well it would, fair enough, any tips on “how to ride it”?
    * is there a link to the science on this? If the chain is always on 1/2 the ring, ie the same number of teeth … I don’t quite get how it can change the gearing …

nedrapier

Nothing wrong with the EBB being all the way back is there?

Means you’ve got max. adjustment available when you need it, and those short chainstays and steep seattube angle that everyone says are so brilliant.

Win + Win + Win = WinWinWin

mattjg
    Free Member

no I guess not, hmm perhaps it’s better as you say. It changes the fit a bit is all but I can put a 10mm shorter stem on and slide the seat back a tad

Gotama
    Free Member

When i bought mine the chap in the shop said to ideally run the EBB with the fat part at the bottom because otherwise there was a lot of downward pressure over the thin part of the EBB where the locking screws are positioned.

Not sure if that made sense, having issues describing what i mean 😳

mattjg
    Free Member

Not really.

For tensioning I set the EBB so the hole containing the BB goes from 9 o’clock to 6 o’clock towards 3 o’clock, rather than via 12 o’clock.

Is that what you mean?

mattjg
    Free Member

Ah ok the fat part, you mean the part with the least BB in it not the part with most BB in it.

It seems I do opposite! Low centre of gravity and all that!

Gotama
    Free Member

Yeah, the fat part of the EBB should be on the lock screws if poss. Not sure how much truth there is in it, i’m just going by what i was told and it seemed to make sense at the time.

nedrapier

I think I get what the bike shop guy was saying, and if I do, I’m pretty sure he’s wrong.

Pedal force goes into BB cups, from there into the EBB lump, from there into the EBB shell. Those first few bits aren’t not going to deformed much by pedal power, so I think the force on the pinch bolts won’t vary significantly with the position of the crank spindle.

schmiken

Just bought mine for use with 1×10.

Hopefully it’ll work otherwise it’ll go on the SS.

mattjg
    Free Member

Is the EBB a consumable or are they silly expensive?

so I think the force on the pinch bolts won’t vary significantly with the position of the crank spindle

That’s not the issue tho, the issue (I think) is the thicker the bit of metal the pinch bolts are tightened into the less likely the EBB shell is to be pitted/damaged by the bolts.

Not that I know. It’s worked well so far!

bikebouy
    Free Member

Niner EBB’ s are about £50.00 IIRC, but there is one on eBay s/h at the moment…

HTH

Gotama
    Free Member

Yes Matt, you have it, as i understand it anyway. As i say though, this is just hearsay, no idea how much truth there is in it or if it is worth worrying about at all. Given that you’ve been running yours without any adverse effects then probably not.

tazzymtb

depends on the EBB, with a something like a swift where the pinch bolts are in the frame,relying on the 2 pinch bolts so the forces will be different to something like a niner with an opposing clamp or bushnell EBB where the BB shell is solid.

no idea if it actually makes a difference, I’ve always run mine as per manufactures spec which tends to be thick wedge bit at the top where reasonably practicable.

mattjg
    Free Member

There we go just like that picture. @gotama maybe you were misinformed.

Anyway I’m not worried about the EBB – any tips on the science/how-to-ride-better of these rings? Or is it JDI?

tazzymtb

first thing: is the odd feeling the ring or the move of EBB and ride position?

second thing: yeh it can feel a bit odd as for a ride or two until you adjust, good pedal drill works a treat with high cadence spin and just mosh like a monster on the steep climbs and feel the awesomez pile on. 😀

mattjg
    Free Member

Could be the EBB move too, yes.

It was only 50m up the road and back, will take it for a proper spin tomorrow and report back. I saw your note in FB re not going too hard to start with due to different muscle use, thx.

mattjg
    Free Member

tazzy I had the chain way too tight too, I slacked it a bit, as per your FB PDF, that loosened it up a bit too.

drofluf
    Free Member

MIne was here waiting for me when I got back from a work trip so thanks tazzy for sorting this out!

It’s ear wonkier than I thought, looking forward to trying it out!

mattjg
    Free Member

I did 15 miles hilly XC on my wonky 34T this morning (replacing a round 32T). Just an 18 on the back. Conditions were snow, slush, ice, clag, clarts, puddles, even a bit of sun. Perfect SS conditions.

Nothing negative to report. The spin felt smoother not lumpier or square. Hard to say if I was any quicker on the flats (but partly because they were covered in ice so I was mincing).

Likewise we didn’t do any of my benchmark will-he-won’t-he-make-it climbs, so that test will have to wait.

I reckon I did feel a benefit on spinning up to attack short stabby climbs – when you’re doing half a dozen fast pedal strokes to get some momentum onto a ramp. I’m pretty sure I was accelerating quicker, hitting the climbs with more power and keep it going longer. Big win there if I’m right.

I also think I noticed a bit less forearm pump.

Possibly I could have gone to a 35T. I need to go do some of the steep grindy climbs – the ones at the edge of my ability – before I can be more certain. I’m pretty sure I could run a 35T in the dry anyway.

All the above is totally subjective and unscientific.

tazzymtb

nice one matt. 🙂

drofluf
    Free Member

Before I mess this up and come back posting about how carp they are can I check I’m fitting it the right way up?

I’m pretty sure I’m right but a little confused 🙂

When the crank is at 4 o’clock the widest axis of the chainring should be vertical. Is that correct?

tazzymtb

if you look at the chainring there is a little “crank here” laser etched bit. so at 4 oclock the ring should be tallest vertically as it were so sounds like you have it right. Set the chain tension in this position and it should spin freely for a couple of revolutions with no chain drop.

drofluf
    Free Member

Thanks!

Makes sense.

Cheezpleez

Humph! Really want to try one of these but a) I’ve missed the boat on the cheapy deal and b) I’ve just put a new Uno ring on and the previous one lasted about four years.

Cheezpleez

Humph! Really want to try one of these but a) I’ve missed the boat on the cheapy deal and b) I’ve just put a new Uno ring on and the previous one lasted about four years.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 125 total)

The topic ‘Tazzy's Wobbly Rings – Anything current? Anyone keen?’ is closed to new replies.