Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Tax Question
  • Slogo
    Free Member

If I’m out of the country for more than 9 months, do i still need to pay tax on money made out of the country. The money is going into my UK account.

joeegg
    Free Member

AFIK if you are a UK resident then tax is payable on foreign earnings once the money enters this country.So i assume going into a UK account is entering the country.
    If you are out of the country for more than 9 months every year then you would be non resident and liable to pay tax in the country where you are living.I think there may be some countries that are the exception such as Qatar.
    If you’re paying tax in the foreign country you shouldn’t need to pay it here.

donsimon
    Free Member

What has your accountant said?

br
    Free Member

If you don’t want to pay for the advice, I’d do my research and then ring HMRC (but find the right dept) and confirm.

mactheknife

Mate get an accontants advice, i used to work abroad for a few years and its actually pretty complicated. A lot depends on exactly how long you are out the country for and where you are working.

A mate of mine played by the rules but miscalculated his days in the UK and was hit with an 8 grand tax bill. If you get it wrong it has the potential to be very expensive.
    Compare that to a couple of hundred quid for an accountants advice.

Slogo
    Free Member

thanks for all the advice.

I was going to pay all the tax which is a lot. But after speaking to someone they told me this information*.

Obviously i have not gone to an accountant. I do not mind paying for the service but being in the middle of no where, and not being able to talk to one face to face its a little hard.

TexWade
    Free Member

Are you going working for more than 12m for an employment abroad? If so you may escape uk tax, but you will be liable for overseas tax instead. If you pay two pots of tax, you can credit the foreign tax against the uk tax.

mactheknife

Slogo, my accountant is absolutely spot on.

Tax Assist

I have never had a face to face, all done by phone and email. I run a limited company and so far they have been amazing. Everything done on time, no hassle and pretty cheap considering what they save and do for me

compositepro
    Free Member

for tax avoidance advice you really need to be speaking to a VODAFONE advisor.

Also seeking advice today from a UK tax proffessional might only end up with HMRC changing their mind next year.Better being hung for a sheep as a lamb

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Tax Question’ is closed to new replies.