Tattoos?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)
  • Tattoos?
  • Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

Mrs Spanner and myself, at the combined age of 105 have just had our first tatts this week.

Always fancied one since I was a kid – I wrote my ideas in a diary and checked a year later to see if the planned images still appealed, but for many years, nothing ever stood the test of time.

Finally settled on mosaic Manchester bees. A link to the city we are proud to have come from and are both still immensely fond.

Lots of recommendations and research later, we finally took the plunge at Border Rose in Littleborough.

Mrs S does not believe in the concept of pain so gallantly, I let her go first.
    I was terrified of passing out half way through, but I actually enjoyed it. It’s like hill climbing, everything goes numb after a few minutes and the endorphins kick in. 🙂
    I liked the sensation and just drifted off…..lovely.

Pete at Border Rose was amazing, explained everything and made sure we were happy with the designs before he started.

The main thing that had stopped me before was the worry that it was going to look awful – a shit arm, bad tattoo scenario*.
    We know loads of people who have used him before with great results, but it was still a worry.
    Luckily, they’ve turned out better than we could have expected – a nice interpretation with lots of depth and implied detail, whilst retaining the mosaic look we were after.

Pics after they’ve healed.
    Both planning more.

You?

Favourites?
    Regrets?

All pics appreciated, mockery too. 🙂

* Authentic Celtic band….

Premier Icon frankconway
    Subscriber

Good for you; do what you want. There are some very talented tattooists out there.
    As for me – never.

Premier Icon Rusty Spanner
    Subscriber

I genuinely thought I’d reached the ‘never’ stage years ago and had convinced myself it wasn’t going to happen.

However, I’ve now reached the ‘**** it’ stage. 🙂

As I get older I find it easier to get a sense of perspective and understanding as to the things that have made me who I am.

hodgynd

Not for me ..I’ve just never seen the appeal…and at my age never will..

Premier Icon Caher
    Subscriber

Not for me either. Seems to have become very popular of late with many of the younger generation with full arm tattoos.

Good stuff mate, I got to 43 before I finally decided on what I wanted. That was last easter, and ill be getting another done this Easter.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvU069oFMiv/?igshid=g5fd7qbsgj4b

Premier Icon metalheart
    Subscriber

I didn’t get inked until the dying embers of my forties (always fancied getting something never could decide on what I wanted, scared I’d hate after 6 months).

I found something I liked the look of and found a tattoo I was prepared to trust to do and a design developed (thunderbird/analemma/arrow). There was a fair bit of trepidation but it turned way better than I could’ve hoped for. 5 years on I love it as much as ever.

After my folks died my brother and his wife said they a couple of buzzards over their house…

I got another one ~4 months ago, can’t work out how to link IG…

Off to the tattoo shop tomorrow to talk about my next one.

woffle

my tats go over top of arm, shoulder and onto my back – from Lionel Fahy @ Out of Step Tattoo. His stuff is for everyone but they’re all marmite anyway. Need to go and get more work done on them but he’s rarely in the UK so would need to travel and don’t have the time.

It’s been a good few years since mine were done. Don’t regret them one bit. From memory they’re rather addictive – I know a good few people who had one, followed by a load more in short order.

ElShalimo

@Rusty – can you share your sketches? I’m really interested.

It’s strange for me, I was born in MCR and grew up in Rusholme and Stockport. Never felt that much pride or connection but after the Arena bombing that completely changed. (The IRA bomb just helped to tidy up what was a bit of a dump).

I’ve been anti-tattoo for years but really want a MCR bee tattoo. I’m further conflicted as I give blood.

Can you still give blood after a tattoo?

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I’ve always sort of wanted one but until fairly recently there were definitely ‘judgements’ made about you socially if you had one and I held back. Then I hit 50 and thought ‘sod it, don’t care any more’ and got this – runs down to my wrist from my elbow. 4 years on and I still like it, which is just as well.

twinw4ll

Got some from my young and stupid days.
    I’m now old but not quite as stupid.

Premier Icon FB-ATB
    Subscriber

I was put off them at an early age by my grandad’s tattoos, done when he was in the army. They were coloured but by the time he was in his 60s they just looked like a black blob.
    I guess being done in India in the 1920s isn’t representative of current technology, it’s just that the off putting impression of them has stayed and the fact that I’ve got crap dry skin that wouldn’t be conducive to a tattoo.

Premier Icon bowglie
    Subscriber

A tattoo sceptic I know (..ahem😉) didn’t get his first one until he was 57, and he really likes it.  I guess it depend on placement, how bothered you are about keeping it covered etc etc, but you’ve always got the option of having the tat put where you can choose to easily keep it covered.

Heres my take on tattoos. People make the mistake of believing that they have to mean something or be symbolic. Nah, its just a drawing on your skin. I spent years trying to think of something meaningful. Once I realised it didn’t have to be, I got four tattoos in the next 18 months.

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

I agree trailwagger – I just wanted a picture of a dragon 🙂

Premier Icon zippykona
    Subscriber

Tattoos aren’t for me and generally aren’t pro them.

Nobody minds a good tattoo but when you see people getting sunglasses tattoos on their face it’s easy to tar a whole community.

Is there a code of conduct for artists? What sane person would tattoo sunglasses on someone’s face?

Do the tattooed amongst  respect the right of the individual to do whatever they want with THEIR body or think they look like a ****?

Premier Icon bob_summers
    Subscriber

My flatmate was learning to tattoo when we were in our late teens and used to practice on me. Fast forward to 2020, I’m 45 and don’t take my shirt off at the beach unless it’s deserted 😅

I posted on one of these threads before, I have similar to @cynic-al but it’s on fire (and on my chest). Actually don’t mind that one. At least it’s not an authentic Celtic band.

I got a few since then, I just get one or two in each place I live. That’s about as symbolic as it gets for me.

Premier Icon aide
    Subscriber

Elshamino  -think its about 3 months between getting a tattoo and allowed to give blood again (used to be 6 month). Its on the sheet you have to fill in if you want to double check it

Premier Icon bigblackshed
    Subscriber

Elshamino -think its about 3 months between getting a tattoo and allowed to give blood again (used to be 6 month). Its on the sheet you have to fill in if you want to double check it

4 months.

Keva

nothing against them at all but I’ve just never seen anything that I would like to have imprinted on my skin for ever.

gonefishin

Got mine when I was 40. I’d planned it for a while but a shoulder injury/operation kept getting in the way. I’m more than happy with it and no regrets at all. Still haven’t told my parents though so I have to wear long sleeves when they are around.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

nothing against them at all but I’ve just never seen anything that I would like to have imprinted on my skin for ever.

Exactly this. I’m too fickle.
    Reading the Tricky autobiography at the moment and he has a whole chapter about how he got his tattoos in Japan when it was just gangsters who had them. Seemed quite bitter that they were a fashionable thing to have now. I think I would’ve been too if I’d had them back then.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

Also, I find back tattoos quite bizarre (my girlfriend has one that she regrets, but I actually like it). Every single person who has a tattoo will say they have it for themselves, right… but they are the only person who can’t see their back tattoo, so how is that the case?! 😆

scotroutes

Just what I was about to type.

Exactly this. I’m too fickle.

Fickle? Could be that. Or maybe I’m just too shallow and have never developed a deep enough connection with anything (or anyone). Bikes is a good example. Lots on here (and folk I know) have bike related tattoos but I just see bikes as a hobby, and one I could tire of tomorrow.

Premier Icon pocpoc
    Subscriber

I’ve got a couple of small ones but have wanted something bigger for years, on my upper arms so it can be covered if necessary.
    But, like others on here, I just can’t decide what. I have a Pintrest board full of inspiration and other ones that I like but I just can’t quite get there.
    I flick between something quite geometric and line based to something more natural and forest/mountains based. In fact, typing that I’ve just realised that I have two arms I can use! One style on each could solve my problem.

Premier Icon pocpoc
    Subscriber

Also, I find back tattoos quite bizarre

Completely agree. My wife has a big tattoo on her back. I really like it and see it all the time, but she’s never seen it in real life, just in reflections. Seems like a strange way to spend a lot of money.

big yim

I have a dog riding a mountain bike on my leg. Not sure you can get any dafter than that but I don’t regret it cause it makes me smile. I have loads and loads. I also have a frog riding a penny farthing on my calf.

Premier Icon FB-ATB
    Subscriber

big yim

I have a dog riding a mountain bike on my leg.

Was the artist trying to draw a sheep?

Rob Hilton

Every single person who has a tattoo will say they have it for themselves, right…

Woman I work with had her 2 niece’s names `in Chinese’ on her back “for them”.

She doesn’t care if the symbols are actually Chinese or whether they say her niece’s names (100% guarantee they don’t 😁), because she got them done “for them”.

Apparently, according to other colleagues this is “nice”.

I told other colleagues I got my nipples peirced for my niece and nephew – apparently this is “weird”…

*I didn’t really get them peirced “for them” but if I had then it would have (in my mind) actually been less crazy than the non-Chinese name tattoos.

Heres my take on tattoos. People make the mistake of believing that they have to mean something or be symbolic. Nah, its just a drawing on your skin. I spent years trying to think of something meaningful. Once I realised it didn’t have to be, I got four tattoos in the next 18 months.

Aye, agreed, I just wanted something on my skin that I’ll still love when I’m older.

I’ve always loved the mountains since I was a wee fella, canny see that changing.

Premier Icon DezB
    Subscriber

I saw some lovely tattoos on TV the other day – watching re-runs of Nurse Jackie and this patient had leaves and foliage on her arms – just the sort of art style I love… then they all disappeared and were fake!! I wuz disappoint.

johndoh

I wanted a tattoo when I was younger but my dad convinced me not to do it. Personally I am glad I listened to him as, although I do see the beauty of some tattoos (and have designed one for a friend), I don’t like it when they start to fade and bleed.

MrSparkle

Pete – good lad. I look forward to seeing the pics when you post ’em. Regards to Mrs Spanner.
    Nobeer – I like that.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

I’ve à small tattoo on my arm, says something personal to me, but I don’t really mind if other people aren’t bothered about it, or like it overly much.

Been toying with the idea of another, but haven’t settled on anything yet.

Premier Icon kayak23
    Subscriber

I’ve been thinking a lot about NOT having a tattoo, but I’m worried that I’ll become a bit of an outcast and rejected by society*

*actually I have a tattoo on my arm from about 18, but my carefully drafted design was traced by a 9 year old and inked by an idiot. 😂

A friend has a pair of crossed kukri’s on his forearm.

Had it done in the late 60s in the far east when serving with the Gurkhas.

He says he regrets doing it – he was pissed and in his teens and was talked into it. Caused him bother in later life but never tried to have it removed.

Its old and faded, but its probably the coolest tattoo I’ve seen.

chewkw

Tattoos?

Do as you wish it is your body.
    No. Not for cosmetic reasons to look good or sentimental value etc.
    Only our native head hunters have tattoos in their tradition which is acceptable.
    Others will also have tattoos but for religious reasons.

ton

Pete, good on you mate.
    cant beat a @**** it attitude as you get older.

I have a few remand school etchings on my body.

Premier Icon swavis
    Subscriber

Very much this! I got 3 when I was 18, then after a 21 year gap of not being quite sure what to get I finally went for another. Two years later I have 12 in total and am considering making the call for my next one 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 88 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.