Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)
  • tattoo sleeves. where did you stop?
  • singlespeedstu

It’s taken me almost six years to blot it from my mind.
    Have you any idea who much 6 years worth of alcohol and drugs has cost me?
    I don’t even like alcohol or drugs I just needed them to block out the shock. 😆

tazzymtb

Oh you big silly stu, you know you loved it, im sure said you something about using me as a hand grenade, pulling my ring and counting to 10 😀

singlespeedstu

Seen as how it ended up with me stuck in a bath and unable to get out I don’t have much recolection of any hand grenades or pulling any rings. 😆

[url=https://flic.kr/p/7UH5bn]16-04-10_2322[/url] by multispeedstu, on Flickr

konabunny
    Free Member

Depends on the power that you hold in the environment where you work…
    Personally I’m looking at a half sleeve.

Middle manager, then? 😀

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The problem with tattoos is they only have a fairly short effective lifespan; about 8 years (from when you’re seventeen upto the age of around about twenty five). However, as we all know, they’re a permanent addition to your body. Getting a tattoo is probably one of the biggest decisions you’ll have to make in your life!

Here’s a few interesting tat stats:

76% of people regret their tattoos
    People with tattoos are more likely to be involved in crime
    Tattoo translates as “vacuous” in Czech
    Some of the worst people in history have been tattooed
    People with tattoos are less likely to be taken seriously
    A tattoo can be used to replace a lack of personality
    92% of people with body art have never heard of JMW Turner
    Of those 92%; 100% described his paintings as “old” “shit” “boring” “gay”

Some of those ring true to me. It’s definitely worth mulling over for some time before you get one. If you have and idea; draw it down and then come back to it a year later to see if you still like it.

cheekyget
    Free Member

I love tattoo **** ups…my mate has a tigers head with no ears , another has his wife’s name wonky on his back and best of all is a bloke from the pub with a Marilyn Monroe on his back that looks more like the witch from wizard of oz…hahaha……well funny after beer or 10… 😆

bigyim
    Free Member

Can’t help but think a lot of you have missed the point of my original question.
    I didn’t ask if any of you liked tattoos or if I should get one, I already have a half sleeve and I am booked in for a full sleeve. What I was wondering was if any of you have a full sleeve then where does it finish on your wrist

_tom_
    Free Member

I’ll be stopping at the wrist on my arm and probably going all the way up on my leg. May start the other arm when this one is done, I’m addicted.

I’d be genuinely interested as to what made those of you who have them have it done.

My arm tattoos are all based on photos I took of flowers and stuff during my summer in Canada so they all mean something to me and remind me of the best summer of my life 🙂 the ones on my leg have no real meaning – the first one I got was an octopus with a top hat, monocle, cane and a cup of tea. Just got it as I saw it drawn somewhere a few years ago and I thought it would be a fun tattoo, still wanted it a few years later after chatting wth an old friend who is an awesome tattooist so went for it. So the rest of my leg is piratey themed to fit that, just things I think look good really.

kimbers
    boxelder

I’d stop short of my wrist, so that it couldn’t be seen when wearing proper sleeves. What you having on it?

bigyim
    Free Member

Kimbers that’s a great article.

Boxelder its going to be a full Japanese style sleeve. It’s not traditional Japanese though it’s quite a western style of doing it

konabunny
    Free Member

Some of that Siberian shit looks rad, I might appropriate some of that culture.

mitsumonkey
    Free Member

Thanks for putting that link up kimbers, brilliant stuff.

TheDTs
    Free Member

It surprised me how much it costs for a tattoo, a guy I know is having an image of his grandfather done on his forearm it’s costing £1000s. He’s in debt, trying to save for a house deposit and always skint but has enough to drop on a tat! Each to their own and all that, but seems like an odd priority to me.

BoardinBob

Depends on the power that you hold in the environment where you work…

I know I work with some smart people but I didnt realise they had x-ray super powers that let them see through my suit and shirt sleeves…

cheekyboy
    Free Member

What I was wondering was if any of you have a full sleeve then where does it finish on your wrist

Surely it would depend upon the wrist.

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Depends on the power that you hold in the environment where you work.

Didn’t really hold this guy back…

boxelder

My wizards sleeve goes all the way with some to spare.

johnners
    Free Member

Depends on the power that you hold in the environment where you work.

Didn’t really hold this guy back…

He’s got some shonky “ooh look, my skin’s been badly stitched together” effort and what looks like a rotting zombie head on one arm, and a dog wearing a military uniform carrying a machine gun on the other.

Is he the CEO?

Robz
    Free Member

Didn’t he land a spaceship on an asteroid?

And in answer to the original question, as a fan of the Japanese style I like a 3/4 sleeve (Shichibu)

voodoo_chile

To all on here I applaud your uninked skin and respect your choices …..really I don’t give a flying f*** as long as your a decent human being
    Some people are too busy looking at other people ..CHILL OUT AND LIVE YOUR OWN LIVES

squirrelking
    Free Member

Some of that Siberian shit looks rad, I might appropriate some of that culture.

Shit just got real, I expect an invasion via a link in Jezebel is imminent. 🙄

(the irony being that, with a tattoo, you can’t just walk back into your privileged white male life like nothing happened)

konabunny
    Free Member

I’m not really sure what you mean by that last comment. Are you saying that getting a tattoo others you to the point you can’t live the same life?

loddrik
    Free Member

If I were to go for a full body tattoo would I still be able to show off my moobs?

Edukator
    Free Member

I seem to remember the guy in the pick above tearfully grovelling about something stupid he’d said/done. Could be wrong.

Your body, your life, your future OP. Do whatever’s going to be the best for those.

plus-one

The tattoo haters are mostly folks that are scared of needles 😆

phil40
    Free Member

I haven’t got a full sleeve, or even a half sleeve (make my 3 tattoos seem rather puny 😀 ), but I always think that if ever you didn’t want them to be seen, then as long as shirt cuffs hide them that is the right length.

To be honest though I really don’t know anyone or any place that is really that judgmental anymore….thankfully. Teaching seemed to be the last bastion of must be prim and proper, but thankfully I am starting to see teachers with tattoos not worry about what might be thought!

alpin
    Free Member

Was impressed yesterday watching the Samoans…. Just about every one on the team were sporting tattoos. And they looked authentic.

jimjam
    Free Member

tazzymtb

20 odd years of tattoos and still going, but its all just a new trend yeh?

kimbers

Most definitely, not a new fad, older than jesus and much cooler

Well here’s the thing. I’m pretty sure that men in plenty of ancient cultures had beards, maybe they wore their hair in pony tails, or in top knots. Whilst those things may not be new when combined with some skinny jeans you get something that’s very current and whether anyone likes it or not it’s the fashion.

Thirty years ago if someone had a load of tats, especially full sleeves there was a pretty good chance they’d be a Hells Angel, a sailor, a criminal…..they would probably someone you wouldn’t mess with.

Nowadays it’s more likely to signify that you’re a barista or a hair dresser, or a contestant on X-Factor. I have nothing for or against tattoos, most of my friends have them. Some have many. But they’ve lost any counter culture edge that they used to have, they are simply fashion.

People will argue that they are a form of self expression, but when everyone talks about their “sleeves” and how they are personal they fail to see the irony that they are all essentially the same to everyone other than you, regardless of the fact that you’re the only person who has that specific colour of carp, in that exact position chasing a taiwanese dragon through some clouds. From 4ft away they all look identical.

_tom_
    Free Member

People who have em tend not to care what everyone else thinks about their tats though. I got em cause I like em, not because I thought it would make me look cool or “edgy”.

jimjam
    Free Member

_tom_

People who have em tend not to care what everyone else thinks about their tats though. I got em cause I like em, not because I thought it would make me look cool or “edgy”.

You may not. Plenty of people seem to yammer on endlessly about them. I worked with a guy who talked about getting his “sleeve” finished for a year. He booked his tattoo artist 18 months in advance when he was coming from the U.S to a convention. Took lots of selfies while he was getting it done, then daily updates via Facebook and instagram of how it was healing.

It cost a fortune. £900+ if I recall correctly. It looked like ****ing shit. Piss poor generic zombie/cyborg/woman bollocks. The “artist” clearly didn’t have a clue. No concept of human anatomy, shading, depth of line. Just a gawdy, smudged mess of crap. But I guess people without “ink” don’t get it.

Another guy got a pirate ship done on his leg while he was pished in Spain. He didn’t give a damn. Far better story.

squirrelking
    Free Member

I’m not really sure what you mean by that last comment. Are you saying that getting a tattoo others you to the point you can’t live the same life?

I was talking about the cultural appropriation and how in this instance you can’t just give it up and go back to being a homogeneous white privileged member of society unlike, say, dreadlocks. Not without lots of laser treatment at any rate.

Personally I couldn’t care less, appropriate all you like just don’t disrespect it. People who get hung up on that shit need to get out and stop trying to racially pigeon hole folk. But then I would say that, I’m a white male heteronormative member of society speaking from my alabaster pedestal of privilege.

(FWIW none myself but my wife has her calf done on one leg and wants the other done, I’m all for body sovereignty and all that)

BigDummy
    Free Member

Can’t help but think a lot of you have missed the point of my original question.
    I didn’t ask if any of you liked tattoos or if I should get one, I already have a half sleeve and I am booked in for a full sleeve. What I was wondering was if any of you have a full sleeve then where does it finish on your wrist

OP, I’m afraid this was a fairly predictable way for this thread to go. Tattoo threads are like chum in the water on here.

FWIW – I’m a fairly senior lawyer. I wear shirts and ties in the office, and I couldn’t guarantee that I’d never have to roll my shirt sleeves up ever again. For that reason, while I’ve got a full back in progress and some on my legs, I’m steering well clear of sleeves.

I guess if you want it reasonably covered, it needs to stop well under your cuff, when you’re looking at your watch, no?

Have fun with it, anyway. 🙂

finbar
    Free Member

I was talking about the cultural appropriation and how in this instance you can’t just give it up and go back to being a homogeneous white privileged member of society

You seem to be suggesting that having a tattoo immediately prevents you from being a “homogeneous white privileged member of society”. Which I would argue is nonsense, given how many well-educated well-off people there are with tattoos.

hugo
    Free Member

People with tattoos are treated differently by many people – as this thread has demonstrated.

It doesn’t “prevent” anything, but it can hinder things depending on life/job circumstances if they’re 100% visible.

Go for a 3/4 sleeve. Choose something you love. Make sure you’re close to your ideal weight when having it done! Good luck.

Sam

Tattoo translates as “vacuous” in Czech

Well that’s not true….

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Well that’s not true….

Tbf, nor is much of what “david” posts.

wwaswas

Tbf, nor is much of what “david” posts.

this.

konabunny
    Free Member

You seem to be suggesting that having a tattoo immediately prevents you from being a “homogeneous white privileged member of society”. Which I would argue is nonsense,

It’s complete nonsense. It’s up there with some of the touchier Scots’ claims about how victimised they are.

squirrelking
    Free Member

You seem to be suggesting that having a tattoo immediately prevents you from being a “homogeneous white privileged member of society”. Which I would argue is nonsense, given how many well-educated well-off people there are with tattoos.

*sigh*

Not even close. Go and read up on what cultural appropriation actually means before arguing a case you obiously know nothing about. And FWIW in my next paragraph I pretty much said it was all a load of bull anyway.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘tattoo sleeves. where did you stop?’ is closed to new replies.