• This topic has 28 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by fadda.
Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Tattoo contemplation – talented artists/help with an idea?
  • garage-dweller

I have quite liked the idea of a tattoo for a while (mid life crisis?) but never really had the inspiration for what and inking in random stuff doesn’t appeal. Mrs g-d has a neat little one with a very specific meaning (and it’s not “why’s my husband so untidy” or “HOW MUCH! Did you say that new bottom bracket was?”).

Then on Monday I had a flash of inspiration – I’m thinking of a black dog with mountains and the sea/breaking waves surrounding it or attracting its attention and something hidden in there that represents my wife and two boys (not explicitly people but something in the shape of the background or in the sea maybe).

Location would be upper arm.

I know there are some wonderfully artistic/creative people on here, does anyone fancy doing me a rough sketch of how that might look / have any ideas for how I could hang the components together? I’m a spreadsheet jockey by day and while I can do a fine line in doodles, line drawings of boats and bikes and the odd bit of sketched out diy project this is way above my art talent grade. I scored less than 25% in my last art exam in my early teens – I’m that shit!

flyingmonkeycorps

Best advice I can give you there is find a tattoo artist you like, explain your idea to them and let them come up with the artwork. It always seems daft to me getting an amazing artist to ink someone else’s design – let them create something that they know will work as a tattoo, will sit well on your arm and is in their own unique style.

garage-dweller

Thanks – seems like a silly question to have asked in hindsight. #notthinkingclearly

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    RobHilton
    Free Member

Get your kids names in ‘Chinese’

And some stars…

kayak23

I’m not the best without my best inks, but how about something like this?

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2ghRDHW]Untitled[/url] by blackteaonesugar, on Flickr

RobHilton
    Free Member

🤣🤣

Loving cock mountain!

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Surely people are compensating for something, feeling the need to get tattooed?

bigyim
    Free Member

I’m with flying monkey on this. Find an artist who’s style you like and explain the idea to them. Let them worry about the layout etc as that’s what you are paying for and they will know more about what will work and what will look like a cock mountain

kayak23

Hey! That’s glacial runoff! 😳

garage-dweller

Me and Mrs G-D are impressed by kayak’s efforts – so much better than I would have drawn but I’m not sure about the green fish above sea level. It will clearly suffocate so maybe we’ll just ask the tattoo artist (conventional as that is). I am going to print Kayak’s picture as a reminder of the character of this place at its creative finest!

CountZero

Thanks – seems like a silly question to have asked in hindsight.

Not really, a tattoo should be something with a proper meaning, not something done on a whim, and it needs to be executed properly and with care; just google ‘bad tattoos’!
    Tattooing is like silverpoint art, you cannot rectify any mistakes made while the inking is underway, so your chosen artist has to be at least competent, ideally very good at freehand art. My tattoos I designed myself, and are pretty simple, but could easily have been messed up by a poorly skilled artist.
    I have in idea for another one, but it’s more involved, and I need to be certain about who I ask to do it, it’s going to probably cost a couple of hundred to have it done, and that’s as a mono work, no colour. There was a girl at a place in Bath who did stunning mono work, really life-like portraits, but she’s moved away, sadly.
    There are tattoo conventions that take place in different parts of the country, if you can get to one, do, it give you a chance to see the work of a range of artists and discuss what you want.
    Or if you see someone with a nice tattoo, ask them who did it and where, most people are more than happy to send work to their favourite artist and talk about what they’ve had done.

Surely people are compensating for something, feeling the need to get tattooed?

Oh yeah? I’d very much like to hear exactly what it is you think I’m compensating for with my seven tattoos.

yossarian
    Free Member

I’ve just my first six hour sitting for my first tattoo (mid life crisis – possibly). Two more to go.

What I’ve learned so far, with the help of my gf who has a few:

1. Find a tattoo artist with a style that you like. Photo-realistic, painterly or whatever. The emphasis is on artist bit and on the style.

2. Get in touch with them and discuss your idea, size and placement. Send them some of your ideas – pictures, elements of pictures, descriptive text, colours etc and then let them go from there. If they are worth their salt they’ll sketch something up and keep in touch with you throughout the process. Usually they’ll want a deposit for this bit but that’s fair enough. And again, if they are worth their coin they’ll only be prepared to start once you are totally happy and the design is completely finalised to your satisfaction.

I’m so glad I did it this way rather than plonk something on the table and said ‘ink that please’. My artist has taken my ideas and created something that’s possibly even better than I could have put together independently.

CheesybeanZ

I’m not sure about the green fish above sea level. It will clearly suffocate

The glacial runoff should keep it going fir some time 😀

bearnecessities

jamesy01
    Free Member

I’ve just been through the exact same thing, turning 40 this year, always wanted one but was to feart I’d end up with a crap one.
    Spent a few months trawling through all the online albums in the local studios Facebook and insta feeds before eventually I found one where I though all the artists work was good and there was no week link.
    Went in and spoke to them with my ideas, likes and dislikes and they were able to recommend the artist best suited.
    After a further consultation I ended up with exactly what I described and it incorporated everything I liked in tattoos.
    My advice…do your research and take your time.

garage-dweller

Thanks for the sensible replies and the wee taking ones that have made me chuckle.

No chance of doing it before end of October (I am in and out of the sea all summer while sailing so I don’t want to have any issues or restrictions) and if I do it I do want to get the design right as it’s obviously very permanent!

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, waited 43 years to get one done, mountains ye say?….

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvU069oFMiv/?igshid=y44z93y8v35c

garage-dweller

@nobeerinthefridge very nice. I like how they’ve done that a lot. Thanks.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

More of Tomasz mountain stuff, love it…

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bfx5miGH4QW/?igshid=a2cy28n5oqar

thegreatape
    Free Member

One of my colleagues has just had one of his kids’ “artwork” tattooed onto himself. I assume he doesn’t have a fridge. He’s going to wish he did have a fridge one day.

greenskin
    Free Member

@garage-dweller I’m in the same boat mate, I’ve been using instagram to find artists, gives you a good view of their work. Something to consider if you’re not already using that as a search.

senorj

sorry.Spat coffee over laptop again.
    Kayak’s pic is worthy of an illwind tshirt.
    nobeer’s ink is rather smart though.

BoardinBob

Mine from the same guy who did No Beer’s

View this post on Instagram

Awesome work as always by @tomtomtatts can't recommend him enough

A post shared by Bob Millar (@the_amazing_adventures_of_bob) on

RobHilton
    Free Member

CountZero

Oh yeah? I’d very much like to hear exactly what it is you think I’m compensating for with my seven tattoos

Is it your appalling taste in music? 🤗🤗

CountZero

Is it your appalling taste in music? 🤗🤗

I have an extremely wide taste in music, care to point me to any examples, bearing in mind that taste in music is entirely subjective.
    Just seen nobeer’s mountain tat, that is stunning, a real work of art!

andykirk
    Free Member

OP maybe I am missing something but I don’t see any mention of proposed payment amount in your request?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Oh yeah? I’d very much like to hear exactly what it is you think I’m compensating for with my seven tattoos.

Excess of boring skin?

zanelad
    Free Member

“Oh yeah? I’d very much like to hear exactly what it is you think I’m compensating for with my seven tattoos.”

If you’re anything like the tattooed folk around here, a beer gut, bald head and a penchant for tracksuit bottoms and vests. Oh, and a 2″ cock.

fadda

Edit: removed – it came out more provocative than I meant it

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Tattoo contemplation – talented artists/help with an idea?’ is closed to new replies.