Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)
  • Tat to buy for kids…. Or not.
  • alpin
    Free Member

Going to spend Christmas Eve with the GF’s family. GF has enough on her plate so I said I’d take care of presents.

The adults are easy enough to buy for. Bottle of wine for her old man, calender for her mum and just about anything alcoholic for her sister and her fella….

Problem is the two little people. Girls of 6 or 7 and four, I think…

What to buy that isn’t going to be a five minute wonder? Last time I took care of presents I bought them hats with monster faces, but was disappointed when they were told they came from St Nicholas….

NewRetroTom

Something that they can make like a craft kit (sewing, knitting, crochet)?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Nerf guns.

fisha
    Free Member

Make up set for the older one – proper glittery stuff to annoy the mum.

Sequin unicorn top for the younger one … the type of sequins that you brush up for one colour and down for another.

jekkyl

Little girls?
    crafty activity stuff. books/pencils/large notepads/stickers.
    a light up drawing pad thing. https://www.amazon.co.uk/GlowArt-Drawing-Board-Black-Glowart/dp/B01ASIFRWE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512570058&sr=8-1&keywords=light+up+drawing+pad

or LEGO! of course. Everyone approves of Lego.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

A deposit in a savings account they can’t raid until they are 18+, building up a mortgage deposit.

johndoh
    Free Member

Something I do for our two (a generational thing from when I was a kid)…

Get a huge box and cut a hole in the top, fill it with shredded paper and lots of wrapped up cheap toys (PoundLand is good for this) then seal it up and wrap it like a big present. They then punch a hole in the top and reach in to get the toys (like a traditional Lucky Dip).

Relatively cheap to do but it’s a great way for them to have a bit of fun. We normally do it after Christmas Lunch to stop the ‘Come Down’ from all the excitement of the morning.

Things we fill with:
    Puzzle games
    Bouncy balls
    Little packets of sweets
    Colouring books

etc, etc, etc.

brakes
    Free Member

a Traxxas TRX4 each

gerti
    Free Member

Lego!

johndoh
    Free Member

a Traxxas TRX4 each

Is the winner.

Took mine out with the girls and their friend at the weekend. Five minutes later she was asking for one from Santa. 🙂

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

JAG

Something that they can make like a craft kit (sewing, knitting, crochet)?

This ^

My Wife and I just bought a ‘first knitting kit’ for our friends daughters of similar ages 8)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Fingerlings or shopkins will go down well.

Yak

Some Bop-Its.

DezB
    Free Member

I think the answer is power kite.

GrahamS

Little girls?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Fuzzy Felt or Plastercine. 😀
    For this Century tho Lego/Colouring Book

stevenk4563
    Free Member

Anything from Smiggle, doesn’t seem to matter what it is.

ThePinkster

Lego.

Applicable for all ages & sexes.

ajantom

For the love of god not a craft kit!

People keep buying them for our 4yr old and the house is covered in sequins, glitter, pom-poms, lolly sticks, straws and assorted spongy stickers.

All the suggested activities on the box are shit, and the parents ends up having to make most of it anyway. Or bits get stuck to the cat. And the walls. And me.

Assorted dressing up equipment is always good. Non-gender specific stuff though, no frilly princess dresses. Pirate costumes, animal outfits, etc.

leffeboy

NERF GUNS and 100s of bullets. They will have a great time and you will never have to do it again

brakes
    Free Member

I bought a Nerf gun for my son when he was 4. I haven’t been allowed to give it to him yet, he’s nearly 6. I might have to leave it somewhere he might accidentally find it.

matt_outandabout

perchypanther – Member
    Nerf guns.

You are a very bad man. 😈 But I like it.

Colouring books – some ace ones around now.

onlysteel
    Free Member

I thought there was a minimum age, though I guess they certainly wouldn’t be a 5 minute wonder.
    Or LEGO.

dabaldie
    Free Member

Bought an arsenal of Nerf guns for my 7 year old (or me). Unfortunately I shot my wife in the eye with a blind (lol) shot over the bannister. Cue 6 hours in A&E a referral to the eye hospital, no driving for a week and an eye patch. For her that is… She didn’t catch me.

So definitely a few nerf guns.. and goggles. I use it as an excuse to wear my Radarlocks in the house.

myti
    Free Member

Toy drones they can have ariel battles.

mattyfez

What about some art stuff, some nice cartridge paper pads and a pencil /paint kit.

Depends on the the kids though I suppose.

stwhannah

Books! Who can object to some good books?

This is a really good one:
    The Worst Princess

Bedtime for Monsters by Ed Vere is also good – both should appeal to the ages you’re talking about.

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

Our generation dolls. Shopkins.
    Sesame seed books

mrhoppy

Power kites?

Or can you still get those poppies from the tower of London?

BigEaredBiker
    Free Member

Anything like my daughter and it’s;

Anything Minecraft,
    Radio controlled drones/helicopters,
    Books on creepy crawlies & big cats,
    Nerf,
    Bop-it,
    Chess set,
    technic lego – to build wih me obviously 🙂

Shopkins and obvious girly tat is a no no.

kayak23

Tat to buy for kids..

Girls of 6 or 7 and four, I think…

Far too young imho for ink.
    Maybe wait until aged ten or so. By then they’ll know what they want for a sleeve or back piece.

mattyfez

If you are going for tats, what about some south American style gang tattoos, it’s a bit more edgy than the boring tramp stamps, doves and tear drops.

mattyfez

Chess set might be a good shout, maybe with novelty pieces that appeal to them, teach them how to think ahead.

mattyfez

Or if they are interested in nature, a good illustrated animal encyclopedia.

My dad bought me one when I was young, it must have had a good few thousand entries, and listed thier habitats, what they eat, etc for each species.

He’ll probably never know how much I loved that book, and to be fair I didn’t appreciate it at the time, but I flicked through it many times and that’s where I got my fundamental respect for animals from.

TomB

Dobble- card game, my kids love it, will reappear again and again over time, for the older one. Colouring book and nice pencils for little one?

bentandbroken

Another vote for Nerf guns and lots of Darts

I have just sold our arsenal on eBay to fund the ‘new phone’.

There may have been a tear in my eye as I waived them goodbye :’-(

Viewing 37 posts - 1 through 37 (of 37 total)

The topic ‘Tat to buy for kids…. Or not.’ is closed to new replies.