Tasty food

Home Forum Chat Forum Tasty food

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Tasty food
  • chewkw

z1ppy – Member

Do we actually have anywhere in the UK, that does tasty (doesn’t have to be healthy, neither of these shows do much in the way of healthy food) and ‘original’ food without costing a fortune (IE “the fat duck”)?

Nope. It’s too expensive to start a small eatery due to the exorbitance rent or the killer council rate that prevents most unique start up for food. Hence the food choice is rather limited … where are the UK regional uniqueness in food that is affordable?

I mean even before you can sell to the customers a big chunk of your cost has to be paid to rent and rates … then from there on you are merely struggling to breakeven …

If the start up cost is low i.e. lower rent or rates then there is higher likelihood that people will be able to venture into selling their food and to let the customers decide who stay or go.

Council would rather have empty shops then letting it out at low rent so that is the problem. This actually prevented people from earning a livelihood for themselves than to rely on the state.

Big player like Maccy D can survive because the choice is limited due to the silly regulation such as the discouraging rent and rates. In other part of the world Maccy D is just another eatery to choose from.

😯

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Home page

Quite local to me. I can smell what they’re cooking at the moment…

Frankly, the best steak-frites you’ll get this side of the channel.
    Cheap lunch and early evening menu, even the a la carte isn’t too much.

Oh, and they’ve won “best local french resaturant” on the F-Word…

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

I took Mrs S to our local 1 star michelin chef pub last night for our anniversary.

Such a treat. A great chef and since it’s one of my local pubs too, great atmosphere and sense of humility. I had grilled squid, pigs cheek and boudin noir to start followed by best end of lamb. Mrs S had a crab dish (not just a typical dressed though) and wild seat trout from the Towy with a hand made ravioli parcel of egg yolk and leek on local asparagus.

£8.50 for a starter. £20-24 for mains. So not astronomical, but admittedly special occasion prices only.

Premier Icon verses
    Subscriber

On a slight aside, but vaguely on-topic… Anyone else addicted to Bitchin’ Kitchen?

lemonysam

There are stacks in the places I’ve lived. Maybe you’re unlucky.

Around Wharfedale there were places like the Cheerful Chilli – plentiful, tasty veggie stodge; Martha and Vincents – bistro type grub with some cool twists; Saffron Desi – quality curry with some fairly unusual twists on the norm and various other ones escaping me at the moment.

Newcastle’s bloody full of great places to eat, I’m glad I have a bit of a commute as hopefully it will stop me piling on the pounds.

Premier Icon ir_bandito
    Subscriber

Oh yes, another local favourite:

Home

Premier Icon The Pinkster
    Subscriber

The Teppanyaki menu at Goomet in sunny ol’ Crewe is something else completely. It’s the only place I’ve eaten in the UK where the food preparation is part of the entertainment.

If you’re in the area try it.

z1ppy

..been sucked into “you gotta eat here” (canadian show) of late, quite lot like “man vs food” (US show) but without the stupidity/hype.
    Don’t get me wrong, they both show some amazing looking food, which is my point of this post.

Do we actually have anywhere in the UK, that does tasty (doesn’t have to be healthy, neither of these shows do much in the way of healthy food) and ‘original’ food without costing a fortune (IE “the fat duck”)?
    I’m not talking about a good/great “chip shop” or “gourmet burger bar” but some-where that comes up with original ideas for the menu.

We have some very good restaurants and pubs locally, but it’s always the same stuff.. steak & ale pie, sausage & mash, beer battered fish & chips, etc…. nothing ‘original’. Even good takeaways simply sell exactly the same ‘menu’ as the rubbish takeaway….

Mentioned this to my g/f & she reckons it cause we accept crap too easily. Is she wrong? Are we all Maccy D addicts*, happy to accept mediocre rubbish food? Or are we too scared to try new stuff?

*Hey I actually like a Maccy D’s, but maybe once a year

PS: If anything I cook more stuff at home now that ever, due to the “same old same old” stuff being served… Decided I need a smoker now!

Premier Icon simon_g
    Subscriber

Yes. London. Get beyond the tourist hellholes and there are dozens, if not hundreds, of such places. Lots of street food markets these days too where you can get an amazing dinner for £6 or so.

I forget how poor the food offerings are in most provincial towns – someone wrote recently that it was impossible to get a good burger elsewhere in the UK, and my experience so far backs that up.

llama

Where is this place you live where they only do boring pub food and takeaways?

chewkw

lemonysam – Member

Newcastle’s bloody full of great places to eat, I’m glad I have a bit of a commute as hopefully it will stop me piling on the pounds.

What sort of price you are talking about?

They are rather average IMO …

TooTall

Newcastle (and the surrounding area) has great food.

Have you been down to the fish quay in North Shields recently? At least a couple of new places down there well worth visiting.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

My current favourite is The Jolly Fisherman at Craster.

Homepage

Also local that is supposedly back on top form is http://cookandbarkerinn.co.uk not been yet.

Newcastle for fantastic beer selection, cocktails and food this place is excellent

http://www.popolo.co.uk/newcastle.html

z1ppy

Apologies for the late reply, was busy, then spent the say in ludlow & had a lovely fish lunch at the fish house .
    I’m glad to hear the UK isn’t a desert for good original food, anymore local ‘to you’ recommendations?

llama – Member
    Where is this place you live where they only do boring pub food and takeaways?

Stourbridge ways is where I is at, and you misrepresent what I said… “We have some very good restaurants and pubs locally” but nothing really ‘original’ that I’ve come across. My search continues, and the responses above only increase my confidence, that there must be stuff out there. Have had an argentine restaurant in birmingham recommended “Fiesta Del Asado” by some friends & the local butchers says there a Chinese cafe/bistro [in china town 😯 ] that I have to try.
    Chewkw makes some good points though, it’s hard to start a small business…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Tasty food’ is closed to new replies.