Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • taping a jacket
  • lucky7500

I managed to put a fairly large rip in the arm my water proof jacket on a ride recently. I’d rather not buy another one if I can avoid it as the jacket is perfectly useable otherwise, and I quite like it.
    I see comments on here & elsewhere about taping together waterproof stuff and was wondering what tape people tend to use.
    It’s a yellow Keela saxon jacket if it makes any difference.

BadlyWiredDog

McNett Tenacious Tape is pretty good. They also do packs of small patches in pretty shapes like stars and bears and rain-drops and clouds and stuff. It’s mostly/all black I think.

If you want to colour match, go browse Gore-Tex repair kits, though your chances of getting an exact duplicate shade are very low.

If you’re anywhere near an Alpkit store, they can repair it for you for a price. Ditto the likes of Lancashire Sports Repairs and Scottish Mountain Gear.

pothead
    Free Member

+1 for Tenacious Tape, used it on a softshell with gorilla tape on the inside, make sure to cut a radius on the corners or it will come off quickly. It won’t last forever but it’s easy enough to replace when it starts to come off and I’ve washed the jacket loads of times without it coming off. You will be able to see it tho, I’d only had the jacket a couple of months so no way it was going in the bin

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    russianbob
    Free Member

Yep. Tenacious Tape. Used it on a load of coats. Works really well.

chakaping
    Free Member

I found it came off my goreTex Trews in the first wash.

Did I do it wrong?

lucky7500

Thanks all. I’ll get ordering some Tenacious Tape. Interestingly, living on the coast, I think there might be a chandlers in my local town and it couldn’t do any harm to have a check.

BadlyWiredDog

I found it came off my goreTex Trews in the first wash.

Did I do it wrong?

I’ve found it helps to clean the repair area with isopropyl alcohol before apply the patch, I also use a stainless steel coffee tamper to put a lot of pressure on the tape when I’m fitting it. They don’t last forever, but I’ve found the stuff pretty durable and has survived multiple washes in my case. I suspect it bonds better to some fabrics than others and it may be that DWR treatments don’t help adhesion.

samuelr
    Free Member

I had an old goretex xtr jacket that i ripped when crashing on my mtb. I stitched the rip back together then Duct tape both sides of the rip.
    Wasn’t pretty but was 100% waterproof and did the job for a few years after. I had to re apply the tape after a wash but was no bother.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘taping a jacket’ is closed to new replies.