Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Tapered frame question.
  • therealhoops
    Free Member

Is there any reason why an adapter cup (ala C’Dale reducer) couldn’t be used on the bottom so as the frame would accept a standard 1-1/8th steerer?

yours

TRH

Northwind

No reason. Though, people tend to use stepdown headsets instead.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

You can get addapter’s for the fork crown which steps them upto 1.5″. Cheeper than a new headset.

timb34
    Free Member

Just been looking at this myself, but there seem to be three different ways to fit a straight steerer fork into a tapered headtube.

Steerer adapter like Hope HS136 (like this : http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/mtb-accessories/headsets-1/hope-hs136-15-1-1-8-reducer.html )
    – I guess that this allows the crown race from the tapered headset to be fitted to a straight steerer, and only adds a few mm to the stack height.

Reducer crown race (like this http://www.jensonusa.com/FSA-Integrated-Crown-Race-Reducer )
    – I guess that this directly replaces the crown race that comes with the original tapered headset. Others are available from Nukeproof and so on BUT no-one seem to specify the angles or exact dimensions of the race surface, so there’s a chance that they won’t match up even if it’s the correct brand?

Reducer headset – fits into a tapered headtube but has inner dimensions for a straight steerer. Might be tricky finding the right one, given the bewildering array of standards, types and sizes.

I suppose that the best thing to use is a reducer headset (if you can find on to fit the frame, followed by a steerer adapter if you’ve got the original crown race, followed by a reducer race if you can find one to fit the lower bearing. Is that about right, anyone??

therealhoops
    Free Member

It’s good to know it can be done as it expands the fork options.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Tapered frame question.’ is closed to new replies.