Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Taper vs Straight
  • rickon
    Free Member

Hi chaps,

Of a the bikes I’ve had, I’ve never gone taper. My Revelations at 150 with a straight steerer feel flexy when pushed pretty hard, fore aft flex.

The 32mm stanchions aren’t going to help, but has anyone back to back experience of the same fork with a straight and taper? Is there a noticeable stiffness difference?

Cheers

Ricks

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Nope. No noticeable difference at all. I think you’re over thinking your riding. 🙂 I’m 16 stone and never noticed any flex to be honest. And I don’t spare the horses.
    I’ve had tapered and straight Revs back to back. If anything I reckon the straight ones are a tad better as they’re a year newer and I think the damping is fractionally better. But they’re the same model, both 15mm axle.

sam3000

My cove hustler has such a strong head tube with such massive weld areas how can it be flexy?

flowerman
    Free Member

No all the above is correct. Don’t always assume that wider tubes will be stiffer and anyway, there is probably better things to spend your money on over steerer upgrades 🙂

mildred

Nope, had both and couldn’t tell difference.

damascus
    Free Member

I can’t tell the difference either but i prefer it, it reassures me as I’m told its better, lol.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

the only difference is try finding a new straight steerer fork in 12 months time 🙂

I can’t tell any difference but never found the 32mm revs stiff at all even with a 20mm bolt.

xiphon
    Free Member

My 32mm boxxers are flexy when pushed hard – that’s their nature – and they’re triple-clamps…

The previous forks were Monster T’s (40mm), which were ultra stiff.

mogrim

I’d get taper, purely because apparently straight isn’t good enough these days, and if you ever feel like replacing your fork you’ll be stuffed.

rickon
    Free Member

Cheers chaps, that’s a resounding STW ‘Well…. maybe…. this one time…’ 🙂

I’ve got a 44mm headtube on the Spot, so there’s no problem there, when I get a new set of forks I’ll need to get a new bottom cup, which means the current internal cup will increase the HA by about 0.5 degrees for the same given travel, so I’ll need to knock down my spacers by 5/10mm.

No problems there. I’m thinking I’ll get a set of RCT Pikes when the time comes, I’m sure the main difference will be the damping and the larger dia stanchions, not the steerer tube.

I do remember back in the day everyone going on about all the flex is in the steerer, not the fork.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

All you need to know is that a straight steerer will fit a tapered head tube, but a tapered head tube will not fit a straight steerer. 🙂

greeble
    Free Member

All you need to know is that a straight steerer will fit a tapered head tube, but a tapered head tube will not fit a straight steerer.

Unless you have a straight 44 steerer headtube…..

schmiken

Umm, do you mean a tapered steerer won’t fit a straight headtube..?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Yeah sorry, missprint! 🙂

bitterlemon
    Free Member

My 2013 revs use a straight steerer and are stiffer than my 2012 fox tapered rl forks. I’d say the legs and straight thru axle would make the fork stiffer.

Northwind

I put straight steerer Revs into a C456 with a tapered head tube, quite a few people who rode it could definitely feel the extra stiffness of the tapered steerer it didn’t have.

Straight QR Revs are still stiffer than tapered 15mm 32s, it’s all relative.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Taper vs Straight’ is closed to new replies.