Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Tap sets – any recommendations
  • Speeder

I’m after a tap set for a project I’m doing and it always something handy to have around. I’d like a reasonably nice set but I’m thinking £20-30 rather than 100. I’ve done a bit of browsing and there’s few options from the usual suspects but I’ve no experience to base the choice on so what have you bought that’s been good?

Criteria are:-
    Available locally – I’m in Cheltnenham and we’ve got Screwfix, Machine Mart and a decent selection of other DIY outlets but also happy to order online if they can get it here for the weekend.

Metric only – I’ll borrow it if I need any dodgy Imperial sizes.

Decent range of sizes – at least 4-5-6mm but a bit either size would be useful.

2 taps per size would like a taper tap and 2nd/bottom tap for each size.

Not made out of chocolate/cheese/monkey metal.

A decent make if possible but I’ll take Aldi if they’re doing a decent set on special.

What can you recommend?

Cheers

Gary

Marko

The default option is ‘Hanson’ (part of Irwin tools).

Or Draper Expert:

I just replace the common sizes with Hanson as needed.

HTH
    Marko

wrecker
    Free Member

Well you aren’t going to get Gedore on that budget but Draper Expert is good stuff and Sealey is OK;
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sealey-AK3040-40pc-Split-Metric/dp/B000ROD9HK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1453800591&sr=8-1&keywords=tap+set

pk13

A good tap is worth it in time alone. The time it takes to get a cheap one out after its snapped half way in. Get a set and then buy single good ones for the most common size you use.
    Also depends on the metal your tapping

irelanst
    Free Member

IMO you would be better buying the sizes you needed individually, do you need plug taps? Spiral cut are easier to use (I just chuck them in a battery drill). I’ve used these guys a lot without any problems.

tillydog
    Free Member

That’s still only carbon steel, though.

IMVHO buy a decent tap wrench then the sizes you need in HSS (about £6-8 for a set of 3 taps for the sizes in the OP from an engineering supplies place).

porter_jamie

dont buy a set but get exactly what you want from the likes or cromwell or J+L or MSC or whatever they are called

http://www.mscdirect.co.uk/cgi/insrhm

buy machine taps cos they are stronger and never ever allow a non high speed steel tap into your workshop.

dont go for the mickey mouse brands get dormer or similar

wrecker
    Free Member

That’s still only carbon steel, though.

It’s £35.

Speeder

Cheers for all the suggestions gents – looks like I’ll be buying them as and when if I’m going for decent kit.

Annoyingly I’m only tapping plastic to start with so it won’t make much difference what it’s made of but no doubt I’ll use them for bigger stuff as time goes on so worth getting decent stuff.

Thanks again.

G

wicki
    Free Member

dont buy a chinese cheapy it will cost more to put wright the failures than the cost of the set.

freeagent
    Free Member

As others have said – buy separates as/when you need them.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Can’t you just “borrow” them from work? 😉

Speeder

Dibbs – Member
    Can’t you just “borrow” them from work?

More than my life’s worth.

I bought a set of 3 M6x1.0 Presto (seem to remember the name from time I’ve spent in the ‘shop) HSS taps and a random bar off eBay – the taps were £6 – bonkers!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Tap sets – any recommendations’ is closed to new replies.