• This topic has 4 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by kcr.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • tandem on european trains?
  • jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

anyone had experience of taking/booking tandems on european trains? my sister is planning a trip from amsterdam to [somwhere in] poland but wants to return to amsterdam by train when she’s done – i.e. train through poland, germany, netherlands.

i’ve done a bit with a normal bike and it seemed very easy if you booked, but anyone done it with a tandem?

thanks!

trail_rat
    Free Member

im happy to be corrected but WRT to netherlands just the act of getting a tandem on the train will be hard on all the trains ive got on there (spent 6 months commuting amsterdam to den helder weekly) – they are the same dual level trains that they have around sydney in aus – stupid things if you happen to have luggage or a non folding bike

poland shouldnt be an issue most trains there have guard carridges at the front.

never been on a train in germany

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

hmm trying to remember what the train was like for me.. came from somewhere in germany to rotterdam – i don’t _think_ it was double decker but i remember having to hang my bike up in a fairly compact space..

i wonder if you could get a ferry(s)? there must be some routes through the baltic sea.. (the r1 route goes up near gdansk i think)

MSP

Shouldn’t be a problem in Germany as long as you avoid peak times, most trains have plenty of bike space, but could be difficult getting on and off when crowded.

kcr
    Free Member
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘tandem on european trains?’ is closed to new replies.