Tandem curious

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)
  • Tandem curious
  • shermer75

Thinking about buying a Cannondale Los Dos MT900, from 1997. A lot of the parts have been changed from original, some for the better and some possibly for the worse. Is it a good frame? I’m pretty excited to be honest..

tjagain

Yes

Mine is an earlier mt800. Decent frames I think

shermer75

Amazing, thanks! It has Paul thumbie shifters instead of the original gripshifts. I’m hoping that’s a good thing! They look like they’ll be in the wrong place tho, perched on top of the bars as they are. If only my thumbs were on the top of my hands!

tjagain

Mine had triggers. Any Pics?

The only original parts left on mine are the frame and cranks Everything else has been changed

shermer75

I’ll see what I can do!

What’s it like replacing components? Are they all difficult to find Cannondale specific sizings? Thinking about bottom brackets and the fork in particular (wouldn’t mind changing the fork so I can have a disc brake at the front)

shermer75

Sorry, wasn’t able to post an image, I hope a link is ok!

tjagain

That looks a fine bike if the price is right. MY frame is all standard sizes of stuff and is of a similar vintage. Octalink cranks and 1 1/8 headset 27.2 mm seatposts

Im suprised it does not have disc brake mounts on the fork mne has both disc brakes and canti munts. If it hasn’f got disc mounts on the frame it would need to e cheap

shermer75

Thanks for the speedy reply! Octalink is a shame but 1 1/8 steerer and 27.2mm seat posts are a relief.

Yep, I would have loved it if the fork and frame had disc mounts…

shermer75

TJ, I eyeballed the size as 20″/18″ based on that piccie, does that look about right to you?

tjagain

I guess so – ours I think the top tube slopes down more to the rear.

shermer75

And it’s 18″/16″?

nbt

Be careful on older forks, our Dawes tandem came “disk ready” but when I spoke to Dawes they suggested that a 203mm rotor (most tandems run 203 front and rear) might be too much for the tabs

Tandem Evolution by Notoriously Bad Typist, on Flickr

This tandem has been through several phases – rigid MTB, HT MTB, HT tourer, rigid tourer with 29er forks, rigid tourer with 26 jump forks. We upgraded to a new tandem earlier this year so I restored it to the original rigid MTB state (with v-brakes) ready to sell, but Martyn Ashton’s “random tandem” videos inspired Mrs NBT to ask me to set it up as a HT MTB again. She’s now having second thoughts about the suitability of this idea…

shermer75

Thanks nbt- good to know!

shermer75

I’ve checked with Planet X re: max disc rotor size for the forks I’d be able to replace them with (I already have a pair, On-One CroMo 26ers) and they’ve got back to me to say they are most likely(!) 180mm max…

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

We have exact same model of tandem as nbt, very versatile indeed, I think just the frame forks chainsets and headset are left original. Been running 200mm disc up front on original forks for loaded touring in alps and rigid mtb in Chilterns and south downs – surprising a few people at the speed of our descents too – without any fork failure yet but the disc mount does look a bit of a potential weakness so might get that seen to once I’ve got the bouncy forks fitted. If nbt is selling, that dawes is a good starting point 👍

nbt

Tyring to think what’s original on mine

• Frame
    • Headset (I don’t specifically recall replacing it anyway)
    • Captain’s seatpost and clamp
    • Stoker seatpost and clamp

other than that we’re spent a fortune on it over the years,either in new bits or in repurposed hand-me-down gear from other bikes

• new drivetrain – went square taper
    • new shifters (old dual-release SLX ones from when Mrs NBT went 1*11)
    • New rear wheel – the threads failed on the disk adapter mount on the old one. Still got it, it’ll still work with a rim brake wheel but not with disks
    • new fork, obvs (still have the old one)
    • new front wheel with 20mm adapter for these forks, plus other options like QR thru-axle. again, still have the original front wheel
    • new stoker stem (came with a regular stem and a shim, which I stil have somewhere) and bars
    • new oversize bars and stem on the front
    • new disk brakes (twice – Avid Code hydraulics at first, now avid BB7s)
    • new saddles
    • new pedals
    • new grips

I was gonig to sell, now I’ve built it up as an MTB I’d like to give it another whirl. but I’ll inevitably end up having to sell it I suppose. Drop me a PM if you’re tempted

shermer75

I’ve just bought the above Cannondale from eBay. I went up to £380, which was more than I was intending to spend, but I hope I got a bargain! At least I’ll be able to try out some thumbies!! 🙂

tjagain

Thats an OK price even for one without discs.

kayla1

We got a cheap Raleigh Pioneer and after I changed the awful gripshifts to Shimano Alivio triggers and stuck a new back brake cable on it (cable discs f&r) it’s really good fun to ride- it actually shifts and stops now! It was only £260 and I reckon we’ve chucked another £50 at it making it fit us. Oh, and I chucked a height adjustable stem on it too cos the front was way too low, so probably £80 all in to sort it out.

It’s a good laugh, we’ve got a drive/coast system sorted (OH shouts ‘drive’ or ‘coast’ when he fancies, basically 😆 ) and we’ve used it more than I thought we would.

shermer75

I’m so relieved it’s an ok price! I’ve contacted the seller and he’s happy with it too. Picking it up on Sunday, so excited!!

shermer75

nbt why did you go from Avid Codes to BB7s?

nbt

Codes needed bleeding too often. I’ve never really liked SRAM brakes tbh

shermer75

Just picked it up! So excited!!!

Tandem acquired

nbt

nice ride! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

nbt

[strong]Dickyboy[/strong] wrote:

So here’s a question- how do you clamp a tandem in a workstand?

Assuming rotating clamp head, at an angle with one wheel still on the ground is how I do it.

That’s how I normally do stuff, but my back was killing me indexing gears yesterday so i had a brainwave

Tandem toolstand

Bunnyhop

Blimey nbt, nobody has mentioned the weeds on our path (snigger).

tjagain

Shermer – remember rule number one is that ” the captain makes sure the stoker enjoys the ride” there is no rule 2

Also a suspension seatpost is a great aid to comfort for the stoker

nbt

Done it. (re)Built it, ridden it.

The MTB tandem lives again!

Need to fettle the limit screws on the front mech, it was rubbing on the tyre – the 2.4″ knobblies in the there are a tad bigger than the 1.25″ marathon we used when it was a touring tandem. There was some screaming but as the ride progressed it grew less frequent and by the end, it was declared to have been a fun experience

https://www.strava.com/activities/2515106953

tjagain

Ah – the “squealing rear brake”

nbt

I’m not saying which end was screaming 🙂

tjagain

Shermer – I have sent you a pm

shermer75

Amazing, thanks TJ!!

shermer75

Also a suspension seatpost is a great aid to comfort for the stoker

Yep, luckily enough there’s a USE suspension post on there:-)

nbt

How are you getting on with the tandem? We’ve come to the decision that MTB tandeming is not going to feature heavily in our future so we’ll sell ours, and stick to solo bikes off road. We’ll still ride the road tandem but personal circumstances mean the off-road version is not as appealing 🙁

Premier Icon Dickyboy
    Subscriber

If there is anyone else tandem curious the dawes that nbt is selling is a really good starting point. Had ours 4 years now, done touring, road riding and off roading without any problems. Sorry to hear you are selling yours nbt I’m just gutted I didn’t get into offroad stuff on a tandem year ago…

boblo

slowoldman

Subscriber
    George Longstaff used to be the go-to tandem maker I think. I remember drooling over one of his gorgeous tandem trikes once upon a time but luckily I didn’t have enough money

Can’t believe I missed my opportunity here…

I have a Longstaff…
    No, I really do 🙂

We bought an off the peg jobbie at first then on our first tour, bumped into some pensioners in SW Portugal with a Longstaff in lovely British Racing Green. Got home and immediately went to see the auld fella… It’s all a bit obsolescent now but still lovely so we’ll just keep on trucking with it.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 135 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.