Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 409 total)
  • Tally Ho
  • matt_outandabout

Yeah, but he will still finish before Project Binky….

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s that time again

Klunk
    Free Member

running late this weekend as he’s sharpening his tools!

duncancallum

Any one tried ship happens?

bentandbroken

@duncancallum Not so far, but I think I will be soon, Thanks 🙂

tillydog
    Free Member

Any one tried ship happens?

I watched them when they first started posting, but couldn’t see past them being clueless amateurs. This might be endearing to some, but wasn’t my preferred form of entertainment, so I unsubscribed and stopped watching.

Ymmv

(I still think it will end in tears – I do watch ‘Acorn to Arabella’)

bentudder

Also worth looking at the Duracell Project. It’s a far more modern boat (although 30 odd years old), so the construction techniques are very different. I’m in the middle of rebuilding a John Claridge Europe dinghy at the moment, so subscribed to look at how modern boatbuilders use vaccuum bagging to get light, strong parts, and how new stuff could be fitted into older hulls: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjS5sfBZUSw&list=PLy5jNQ2dT0Gr9bmDZ9uQGa4ywEE7bLWgw

duncancallum

@tillydog yeah I know what you mean.

It’s interesting though.

Klunk
    Free Member

Handtool rescue “Oi that’s my thang!”

Sandwich

That Tormek sharpener has found me looking longingly at the pro kitchen knife machine. I have a 0 birthday this year and have requested one. I was told that’s for pro kitchens, early retirement beckons so that one was shot down quickly. 🙂

dyna-ti

The Tormek one is really expensive, they start at about £400. Though the this basic one, the T4 is pretty much identical to others on the market costing far less.

A Record Power version(8″ wheel) will cost you  £170, others like Triton-£250, Scheppach Tiger -£140.

The RP one has a host of free bits, dressing stone etc and is probably the best deal overall.

Twodogs

As always, I’m amazed at the craftsmanship, even when working with a bit of old plywood 😂

bruneep

Klunk
    Free Member

think Leo is being a tad naive showing off those batteries that’s @ least £35,000 worth!

leffeboy

So, what happened to Pete then?  It is an amazing project but you have to have incredible drive to keep going at that level of detail for all those years

somafunk

I imagine the level of detail and knowledge that Pete has shown on the project has enabled him to have an endless amount of work offers that will pay much more than Leo can offer him.

leffeboy

Ah,now that would make a lot of sense. He does seem to just get stuff done and be super knowledgeable

dyna-ti

I wonder how much its cost him thus far. I mean thats a shit load of big timbers, plus all the bits, fancy engine and the like. What do we reckon ? 1/4 million or thereabouts

Klunk
    Free Member

Probably worth upwards of half a million if he finishes it Pellew appeared in one of the earlier episodes btw.

duncancallum

What happened to the guy sort of mid way back with the dog that made the tables for doing the ribs?

Klunk
    Free Member

some escape from the Saxe-Coburg soap

Klunk
    Free Member

timba
    Free Member

Thread diversion: carlrogers on youtube (not the psychotherapist) is good. His dad and he built a roof and a staircase in oak (and a Vespa scooter, not in oak). Only a few videos, but very watchable /Thread diversion

leffeboy

(1) Tally Ho’s remarkable new sailing dingy – YouTube

Worth it just for when he pulls the tender out of the back of his truck.  It’s a beautiful thing

dyna-ti

the other end of the wood epoxy yacht building by Spirit

I posted that one up a while ago(the 111). Majority of the sailing forumites didnt like it.

The 30 looks interesting

Klunk
    Free Member

the tech is just amazing when you compare the frames/stringer size and spacing between Tally ho and a Spirit yacht!

Klunk
    Free Member

leffeboy

the tanks did look super shonky really.  it must have been horrible to test them and see those leaks 🙁

Klunk
    Free Member

think he’s over thinking it on the capacity, in reality he could probably get away with half as much fuel, then he could have steel tanks and not worry about the weight (didn’t tally ho originally sail the pacific with next to no fuel ?) besides if runs out of fuel he can tow Tally Ho in his new tender Master and Commander style 😉

Twodogs

I watched that thinking “would I have pressure tested them?”…not sure I would.

I stopped listening at the end…what are the replacements going to be made of?

leffeboy

I stopped listening at the end…what are the replacements going to be made of?

He hasn’t decided and is asking for any viewers who have advice or experience

leffeboy

I watched that thinking “would I have pressure tested them?”…not sure I would

You might not have normally but the quality did look a bit dodgy and I’m guessing that is what made him do it.  Especially the huge blobs of sealant round some of the fixings and the quality of the threading

Twodogs

True…they did look pretty shonky….but I think he’s such a perfectionist he’d have tested them even if they’d looked perfect!

Klunk
    Free Member

Leo is pulling “the dog ate my homework” excuse…. he’s going with power outage and copyright nonsemse 😉

bruneep

duncancallum

Flogging knives now…

Missing Pete too!

dyna-ti

Flogging knives now…

I reckon his bills must be horrific, and any sponsorship is good sponsorship.

I do wonder though at the beginning when it was spend,spend,spend if theres not a bit of regret and being a tad more frugal might have been better

leffeboy

The sills are beautiful. It’s going to look incredible when it’s finished

Twodogs

at the beginning when it was spend,spend,spend

He doesn’t exactly seem to be cutting back now….you don’t need a freezer in a boat. But I don’t begrudge him anything….he’s found a way to monetise the restoration, whether that be donations or sponsorship…good for him. And his videos are way way better than some other boat restoration stuff out there (Duracell, I’m looking at you)

Viewing 40 posts - 201 through 240 (of 409 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.