Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 406 total)
  • Tally Ho
  • welshfarmer

Presumably there would be a not-inconsiderable weight increase due to water absorption by the caulking and timbers on a boat that size after a period in the water. I guess that’s one of the reasons for the removable internal ballast?

damascus
    Free Member

What a difference between attempt 1 and 2.

I kept thinking they were too close and that if anything went wrong they were going to get hot toes (except no feet Pete)

Brilliant episode. It’s coming along now isn’t it.

dyna-ti

I think attempt two is what happens when you think attempt one is something you can do without professional help 😆

Coming along indeed. But theres still the i9nternal fitting out, then the deck, helm position, and all the rigging to do. I’m guessing it will still be a work in progress this time next year.

Plus the chap(Leo) is a complete perfectionist. Which adds to the planning to get everything spot on.

Be nice to see it finally go in the water though.

sockpuppet

So I’m doing a second re-watch. Just got to #38, with the finger incident.

YouTube served up a stihl chainsaw ad; relevant, but a but close to home! (Though I still think it must have been the bandsaw.)

avdave2

I kept thinking they were too close and that if anything went wrong they were going to get hot toes

The one thing I kept thinking was I’d want some eye protection. Good to see it go so well, it’s been a fantastic thing to follow. I think he gets the balance of showing us stuff and explaining things spot on and the supporting cast are great.

Klunk
    Free Member

keel fitting

dawson

The bit with the chainsaw near his feet/legs gave me the heebie-geebies

somafunk

The bit with the chainsaw near his feet/legs gave me the heebie-geebies

Yeah, think I’d give Pete that job to do

Twodogs

I love the use of power tools on lead…cutting the tenon 😁

Klunk
    Free Member

leo time

Waderider
    Free Member

Just getting into this, about a quarter of the way through. Bloody excellent. Some of the chainsaw use freaks me out though, pretty lax with health and safety with the power tools.

Klunk
    Free Member

I understand the reasons for moving, even without the legal hassles it made sense but its lost some of it’s “charm” (and Pancho). I’m also a bit uneasy with paid and unpaid thing going on :/

Klunk
    Free Member

Deck laying in 15 mins

leffeboy

Deck laying in 15 mins

Linky? Or is this a Patreon thing?

Edit: ah, looks like it is on YouTub (stw version)

Klunk
    Free Member

it’s just live on utube… the video is now up

gecko76

Just watching the latest, in quiet awe at the level of craftsmanship as usual.

I’m also a bit uneasy with paid and unpaid thing going on :/

Would you mind explaining this? It’s an interesting mix of people; pros and volunteers/apprentices is my take on it.

leffeboy

leffeboy

Sometimes these are just a nice 30mins escape from all the rest of the shit going on.  Kind of liking Rowan’s understated ability to just keep getting stuff done.  Loving some of the tools he has now as well.

Klunk
    Free Member

NewRetroTom

I’ve come to this late – looks like a fab project, but I’m never going to be able to catch up with all 125 episodes!
    Any especially good ones you’d recommend?
    I already watched ep100 which was a good recap.

Waderider
    Free Member

Just start at episode 1 and take your time – should be on youtube for years.

bentandbroken

It is worth starting from the beginning, some of the episodes are not as long.

If you really don’t want to watch all of it, I would recommend seeking out his first trip back to the UK where he meets the owners/builders of the Blue River Table

as there will probably be references to that in his forthcoming episode about his recent trip back

dyna-ti

What a fascinating little insight into the work of the marine architect 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

Klunk
    Free Member

kayak23

Finally!
    I’m up to date on the videos and can read this thread! 😊

I absolutely love what Leo is doing. There is something so soulful in it that I need to get more of in what I do.

It’s such an enormously positive project in every way.

matt_outandabout

Agreed. Really much more than just a boat project.
    And it’s looking stunningy already…

kayak23

It does.
    The dedication he has to doing absolutely everything the right way down to the smallest bolt or plank is amazing.

The deck is beautiful. Work of art.

Klunk
    Free Member

piemonster

Get in, ill watch that after tea

Klunk
    Free Member

slightly larger version of Tally ho

https://youtu.be/ZzyGJeQg7bc

Think Leo may have his work cut out singlehanded in Tally ho 😀

dyna-ti

slightly larger version of Tally ho

https://youtu.be/ZzyGJeQg7bc

I’ve done some sailing on one of those, though not as long. I think including bowsprit is was about 50′(that one is 73′. So maybe 40-42, i forget. Same age, 1880 ketch cutter. Lovely boat.

We even had a yard set up for downwind sailing. We looked quite the pirate vessel 😆

One thing it differs from to regular sailing yachts is the ropes. on modern its thin lines and they’re easy to handle, on these old boats its bloody thick hemp types and its murder on the hands.

Klunk
    Free Member

on these old boats its bloody thick hemp types and its murder on the hands.

especially without a winch!

Klunk
    Free Member

you watch one pilot cutter video, and what happens you get sent a video of one for sale ! 😀

Klunk
    Free Member

some local flavour 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

leffeboy

Beat me to it. It’s starting to look really beautiful

matt_outandabout

Just stunning…

kayak23

The attention to detail is amazing.
    Absolutely beautiful work.

Everything fits so well.

Seeing that the new boy is….ahem, a little more mature then the others I wonder how he copes physically. Going on and off a boat all day and getting yourself into small spaces is so hard on the body. I can barely walk after a day on site doing similar 😂

Love seeing that they use a similar method for templating the deck boards as I’ve been using recently.

dyna-ti

Tally Ho – renovating a 112 year old sailing yacht.

It was 107 years old when he started 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 406 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.