Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Tall people of the west midlands…
  • ctznsmith
    Free Member

…give us a go on your bike.

I have agreement from the significant other to build up an mtb next year! I'm moving to Worcester on the 4th Jan and working in Birmingham so anyone tall (I'm 6"4) round that way want to let me ride their bike so I can get an idea of sizing for tall people…I'd especially like a go on a 29er?

I borrowed a 20" Charge this year and I felt like this.

It doesn't necessarily have to be off road, just up the street is good just so I can get a feel for the position/geometry.

Expect lots of numpty questions in the coming months as I bought the last mtb I owned in 1994 I think.

MicArms

The clent duffers has a basketball team in the making, nige @ 6foot 4, Rich @ 6foot 6 , and Tall Steve @ 6 foot 7. However be warned, they may try and convert you to the clown sized wheel brigade….

singlespeedstu

However be warned, they may try and convert you to the clown sized wheel brigade….

Makes me wander why you're still on your training wheels Mick. 😉

MrTall
    Free Member

Hi,

As Mic mentioned above i'm 6'7" and have several bikes you could try out if you'd like? I'm in Bromsgrove which is about a 20 minute drive from Worcester.

I have a 22" Full suss 29er, a 23" Hardtail 29er, a 22" Kona singlespeed (26") and an older 21" commutified mtb (again 26").

If anything the 29ers may be a bit big for you as i have silly long legs and arms – although it will still be useful for you to have a go.

Nige has 2 29ers but despite his height has now downsized to med/large rather than XL. Rich rides 26" bikes and has full suss and hardtail XL Santa Cruz's.

You are more than welcome to come and have a go at some stage – my email is in my profile. There aren't any trails that are very close (4 miles up hill to the Lickeys is closest) but there are some field 2 minutes across the roads where you can at least have a go up and down a few 'hilly' bits to get a feel for them.

Steve

MicArms

Makes me wander why you're still on your training wheels Mick.

coz I'm shite.

singlespeedstu

coz I'm shite.

But you still rode stuff some of the others didn't the other day. 😉

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Thanks Steve, the girlfriends parents live in Bromsgrove so I know it pretty well.

I think Hardtails is where it's best to start…I'll email you once I've moved and got sorted. 🙂

Climbing (i.e. a 'hilly bit') is definitely where I need to test them out because I just felt really cramped on the Charge.

charliedontsurf

You will love 29ers… we are miles away but have 29er Demo bikes.

Its best to try before you buy, especially with odd bikes, so thats why we have quite a cool collection of freaky demo bikes (Surly Big Dummy, Niner, Dos Niner, Steamroller)

We have a large Niner SIR9 demo bike, and a large Salsa Dos Niner soft tail 29er… both are bang on for 6 foot 2 inches, but 6'4" wont be a problem… you will get the idea.

Our shop is down on the Dorset coast, hardly local, but a nice place for a weekend of riding and drinking. details here
    http://www.charliethebikemonger.com/page36.htm

mboy
    Free Member

More than welcome to come and have a go on my 29er in Worcester, but I'm afraid despite the fact that Gary Fishers do come up very long for their size, at 17.5" it might be a tad small!

When you move to Worcester, if you wanna go out for a ride, drop me an email (in my profile)… Where in Worcester you moving to?

clunker

I am a lanky 6foot4, I ride a custom Roberts 21" and live on the edge of Cannock Chase, also have a 29er in build too that your welcome to test too.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

@charlie my parents live near Poole so a trip to Dorset is an option if I get really stuck!

p.s. you can't spell Jurassic. 😉

69er
    Free Member

ctzn, if you make it down to Poole drop me an e mail, I've got a couple of 29er's you'd be welcome try.

6'4" is normal, don't let anyone tell you otherwise 😉

lunge

I'm 6'4" ish and have a 21" Orange P7 you could try, I live near Halesowen, about half way between Worcester and Brum if that is any use.

ctznsmith
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the offers of help, I'll drop some emails out to people next week when I'm settled. 🙂

TooTall
    Free Member

Tall people who ride bikes are nicer than little people who ride bikes.

Thats just scientific fact right there.

nickc

That dogs bolx is…erm…the dogs…Nicest big bike I've seen I reckon.

ton

TooTall – Member
    Tall people who ride bikes are nicer than little people who ride bikes.

Thats just scientific fact right there.

well some of us are………… 😉

TooTall
    Free Member

*doesn't remember Ton being tall*

TallBloke
    Free Member

Hello Folks,
    coming to this a little late – but very interested in this discussion as I'm looking for a big bike. I'm 6'9" but I'm taking heart from this thread.

I saw a 22" Marin Nail Trail 29er last year in Bristol – 1st I'd ever heard of 29er's. Fell in lust but it was the last one in the country and they don't seem to be doing them this year. So, the question has been what to buy.

I'm not a serious cyclist but (reasonably) happy to spend to get the right bike. The Niner SIR9 seems to be good for tall people and I guess pretty strong – then the Rumblefish appeared – 23" and I've read that the Fisher's come up big. What I'm not sure about is whether a full suss will take my weight – 20 stone!

One of my local bikeshops also builds frames. They seem to think I'll be better getting a bike tailor made. Not cheaper short term but possibly good in the longer run. I'm really worried about splashing out on a bike that I'm committed to buying – however it turns out.

Any thoughts?

bigpee
    Free Member

Tallbloke. I’m 6’7″ and also 20 stone and the Rumblefish will take your weight (300lbs on warranty) and is plenty big enough on the 23″ frame that I have. You would have to be seven foot to be too big, its a monster. Comes out cheaper than the Niners and they are a production bike with all the back-up that brings with it.
    Its big and brilliant; riding is easy and your back does not feel like it has been snapped in half.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Tall people of the west midlands…’ is closed to new replies.