• This topic has 25 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 12 years ago by bol.
Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Tall 29er riders – flat or riser bars?
  • bol

I started off with flat bars but both my bikes have got quite short head tubes, and I’m finding myself using a whole load of spacers to get the same saddle to bar height ratio as on my 26er with risers. What do you other lanky types do?

hugor
    Free Member

I don’t consider my self tall at 183 cm but I use spacers and a small riser to get the saddle-bar height equal which is how I like it.

clubber
    Free Member

on my swift I’ve done everything I could to get the bars lower – -ve rise stem, ultra short headset, flat bars and it’s still a touch high but swifts have quite long head tubes.

The real answer though is just do what works for you. Sounds like you could use a riser though stacked spacers aren’t really an issue aesthetics aside.

bol

What size is your RIP Hugor? For me to get the seat an bars at the same height I’d need to fit BMX bars, or have six inches chopped off my legs. It’s a good job I like my bars a fair way below the saddle.

hugor
    Free Member

I ride a large. It has a 100mm Thomson Stem (zero rise), the forks are F120. There is a little taper thingy below the spacers too.

Burls72
    Free Member

Buy frames with longer headtubes 😉

You can also use 25/30 degree stems and high rise bars. Azonic World Force bars come in 3″ rise.

I went the custom frame route when I bought a 29er. One of the main reasons was none of the 29er frames had a long enough headtube for me to run flat bars without it looking stupid.

hugor
    Free Member

I don’t think it does look stupid.
    Sure the close up looks a bit odd but the pic from far above looks fine for me.
    I’ve thought about dropping spacers but I was advised that if I could ride all day comfortably on the current setup then to leave it alone.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Crikey, that’s nothing. Got about 4″ of spacers on my hardtail. Bikes just aren’t made for tall folk.

clubber
    Free Member

love the tag 🙂

I’m not a ‘slammer’ by nature as it goes. grew out of that after about two years roadieing back in the 90s…

All my other bikes have at least a couple of spacers. some even have risers!

RealMan
    Free Member

All my other bikes have at least a couple of spacers. some even have risers!

Any more pictures of the singular? 😀

bigsi
    Free Member

I had the same issue on my Paradox but didn’t like the idea/feel/look of high rise bars & loads of spacers so have gone the route of a greater angled stem (Easton) this means i can run 30/35mm of spacers & a low rise Sunline bar which works for me.

As said above just do what works for you which will mean a bit of trial & error.

TooTall
    Free Member

Spacers and risers. It feels comfortable for me. Don’t care what anyone else thinks.

bol

I ride a large. It has a 100mm Thomson Stem (zero rise), the forks are F120. There is a little taper thingy below the spacers too.

To me this is the perfect example of why bike sizing is such an imprecice science. I’m 6’4″ and also ride a large RIP, but with a significantly shorter stem and my arse (relatively speaking) in the air. I’m perfectly comfortable too. Of course it might be that I just have freakish proportions.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Just as 5mm spacer under a 0 rise thomson and a flat bar, (XL Frame)

Like to keep the front end low.

khani
    Free Member

19inch L Gary fisher Xcaliber with zero stack H/S, 20mm spacers, 90x6degree stem, Answer 720x12mm rise protaper bars, fits perfect 😀

bonesetter
    Free Member

6’3″ and go for bars & saddle equal height

The By:Stickle has a dropper post and the ‘hound has a slightly lower saddle. Saddle too high ‘bucks’ me as i have long torso

hugor
    Free Member

I really like that second bike up there.^^^
    Looks bad-ass.

Burls72
    Free Member

I don’t think it does look stupid

I wasn’t refering to your bike. I meant having loads of spacers, a 25/30 degree stem, then having flat bars. Which is what I would have to do to run flat bars on nearly all production frames. Hence why my hardtails headtube is 165mm.

Rorschach
    Free Member

A wolfhound AND a bystickle!! Just a blackcat to go then ;0)

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

A paltry 6’1″. Started out with risers, but have switched to flats and done everything I can to get them as low as possible.

Any lower and the shifter-pods foul the top tube*.

(*If and when I crash and get bar-spin)

JamesD
    Free Member

flap_jack – Member
    Crikey, that’s nothing. Got about 4″ of spacers on my hardtail. Bikes just aren’t made for tall folk.

Rubbish! 🙂 6’3″ here with flat bars, -ve rise stem and no spacers!

Weight on front wheel = A Good Thing 🙂

bonesetter
    Free Member

Rorschach – Member
    A wolfhound AND a bystickle!! Just a blackcat to go then ;0)

Never heard of Blackcat. Seems to share the short CS ethos

bonesetter
    Free Member

OP. Prolly best option is pick yourself up a bunch of stems and bars and see what you like.

I used to like 50mm stems (and risers) and a small (for me) frame. During a custom build I went with the builder and ended up not only with a larger frame, but also a longer stem (90)

One thing, you need you arms (and hands) forward and high enough to brace you when riding aggressive technical (if of course you do ride that)

Rorschach
    Free Member

I think love your hound 😳

bonesetter
    Free Member

^ 🙂 The ‘hound is a gorgeous bike no doubt. Really opened my eyes to what a rigid 29er is capable of

Geo very close to Jones, but with shorter CS’s (currently running 16.3″ which is dam short)

Here’s some more

bol

Thanks guys. Just goes to show that, as lots of people have suggested, there isn’t one right answer. I think I’ve got pretty much the right height, width and reach sorted – it’s more a question of aesthetics now, and I think a couple of spacers and a little rise in the stem and the bars is probably the best compromise. What a tart. 😀

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Tall 29er riders – flat or riser bars?’ is closed to new replies.