Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Talking book recommendations?
  • chipps

I’m off on holiday in a week and part of it involves two seven hour drives. And then when I get back, a few days later I’ll be driving up to Fort William and back for Relentless. So that’s four, seven hour drives that I’ve got lined up for October and despite having a ton of tunes on the iPhone, no one wants to listen to my music for that long 😉

Just to clarify, there’ll be two grown ups in the car, no children. We’re both reasonably well read, but what are the classics, or classic reads that would be good for a journey that’ll have ten mile straight roads in it…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fifty Shades of Grey.

Obviously.

chipps

Read by you? Not sure about that… 😉

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

metalheart
    Free Member

Cities of the red night – Bill Burroughs.

If you can play it on random it might even make linear sense…. 😐

jekkyl

the complete Harry Potter read by Stephen Fry, no seriously it’s good.
    Also all the disc world novels read by Steven Briggs and Nigel Planer.
    Failing that all the unabridged a song of ice and fire (game of thrones) splendid stuff.
    a large gush of water could be called a ……. ?
    especially when coupled with a bay of pirates!

matt10214
    Free Member

Matterhorn by Karl Marlantes,

Brilliant account of the Vietnam War.

Sandwich

The Wee Free Men by Pratchett read by Tony Robinson. Dangerously funny when driving if your sense of humour is anything like mine.

i_like_food

I’ll second Matterhorn. Not just war-pron, a really good book. Read it, didn’t listen to it though so can’t vouch for the narrator not having an irritating voice!

Hope you’ve got cruise control…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Can I add Walking Home by Simon Armitage (he of famed Huddersfield poetry.. ) He walks the Pennine Way, narrates and encourages folks to readings to which they pay what they feel is worthy. He’s a troubadour the length of it all, to his home.

It’s excellent.

pedropete

His dark materials by Philip Pullman read by the author himself . Spent a great couple of autumnal weeks driving in the Pyrenees some years back & it has stayed with me.

Cougar

I’m enjoying the Big Finish Doctor Who audio books at the moment. Full cast jobs, really well done.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

How about podcasts? I’ve just started listening to one about WW1 and another about the American Civil War. Or Desert Island Discs or WTF by Marc Maron. He’s interviewed Obama, Neil Young and Keith Richards recently.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.

Through it’s a series not a play 🙂

I can link to it all if requested.

Cougar

No you can’t.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Maybe not here I can’t 😉

Actually, that is a bit of a shame – there used to be some guy in the US with it on his server for several years. I guess the detector vans took a long-ass time to get to the back of beyond in the ‘states….but they got there in the end. I however have it saved by now 🙂

Cougar

I’ve got the CD box (it was a free gift with a magazine subscription a few years ago). It is very good.

Gunz
    Free Member

RHLSTP

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You must be one of the cool kids Gunz.

bigh
    Free Member

Rivers of London by Ben Aaranovich. Very good narrator. Several books in the series, will end up televised at some stage IMO

MSP

You can’t listen to Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy while driving, without doing one of those activities without the attention they deserve.

geoffj

How to train your dragon – the full series read by David Tennant. Not just for kids and very different from the American TV programmes

tomfun

I Partridge – We need to talk about Alan. 7 hours of glorious narration by Alan Partridge himself.

It’s hilarious.

andrewreay

+1 for I Partridge.

It’s like having Alan in the car with you. Best listened to whilst wearing string back driving gloves and a Pringle golf jumper.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Talking book recommendations?’ is closed to new replies.