Talk to me about walking boots

Home Forum Chat Forum Talk to me about walking boots

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)
  • Talk to me about walking boots
  • Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

*Watches with interest, as it’s time for a new pair here, too.*

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Once I get some SaxonRider, I will attempt to get you out into the hills.. have you ever climbed a North Wales mountain?

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

Nah, just the Rockies. And the Laurentians. 😉

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

The whats?

What did you do in the Rockies, out of interest?

EDIT just google Laurentian mountains… looks like Wales but with more trees.

Premier Icon Garry_Lager
    Subscriber

I’ve had a pair of Meindl’s for over ten years that have been superb – waterproof all day and super comfy. They’re just starting to get a bit past it and I’d easily buy the same again. Don’t know where they lie on the boot hierachy but they were reasonably expensive IIRC.

Only thing is they’re a classic sort of big boot. I’d guess there’s more modern constructions and materials that can create a much lighter boot if that was what you were after.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

No need for leather.

If you’re a Salomon shape, Scarpa will likely feel wide on the heel. North Face might fit though.

I use Salomon X Ultra Mid boots for three seasons on the mountains, only breaking out something a bit more robust if I’m likely to need crampons.

Premier Icon Teetosugars
    Subscriber

Big fan of Alt-berg here, but that goes back to the early 90s when the boots we were issued where crap.

Still have a pair now for dog walking/ Lakes wanderings.

Also a big fan of Lowa.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I seem to have a narrow heel and wide forefoot, many if not most boots feel sloppy on the heels.

Have also owned TNF light shoes that got used for casual, they fit well but didn’t last that long.

If I am ever lucky enough to need crampons again in my life I have a very old pair of 3/4 stiffened boots in the loft that will do so that’s not a big issue.

Premier Icon bodgy
    Subscriber

My Scarpas are really comfy for extended wear, light, but very disappointing in wet conditions. Just not all that grippy.

Brashers were comfy, but the tread didn’t last long.

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

Shop around and see whats in the sales.

I recently treated myself to a pair of leather, gore-tex lined Meindl’s. I needed to get some new boots to replace my nackered Keens. The Meindl’s were on offer in one of the shops in Betws-y-coed, reduced from £200 to £130.

They’re quality kit, the most comfortable thing I’ve ever put on my feet, and I expect them to last forever

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Well they’ll be used in Wales, so wet conditions won’t be an issue.

NOT

@binners the sole (haha) review of the Keens on Go Outdoors said the soles were very slippery in the wet – did you find that?

Premier Icon Coyote
    Subscriber

I got some Karrimor cheap from Sports Direct. Gone for long wet walks and they’ve been great. My wife and our son have the Quechua from Decathlon and likewise, they’ve been fantastic.

Premier Icon dangeourbrain
    Subscriber

They had some clearance salomon ones in sorts direct here a few months back so maybe worth a glance?

Premier Icon binners
    Subscriber

I didn’t find the Keens slippier than anything else Molls. They were the pretty standard Vibram Soul. I’d have them again. They put some miles in over the years and always kept my feet warm and dry

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Sports direct ^^ good call, tons of cheap stuff ta.

loddrik

Had Miendl Bhutan for nearly 3 years and still.look almost new despite being worn most days for dog walking duties.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

I went to Blacks and tried on as many as I could. Surprised myself by buying a pair of Berghaus, which weren’t the most expensive, but seemed to fit me and were comfiest.

Premier Icon SaxonRider
    Subscriber

What did you do in the Rockies, out of interest?

Primarily Waterton Lakes:

But also around Kamloops and parts of B.C.

Premier Icon spawnofyorkshire
    Subscriber

I have two pairs of Meindl’s
    The Buhtan MFS – awesome boot, dead comfy, not the lightest
    Some lightweight goretex fabric ones i bought a few years back. NO idea of the model name, but dead comfy and only out of their depth in winter

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

SaxonRider, if you enjoyed that then you’re gonna love this:

sweepy

@binners the sole (haha) review of the Keens on Go Outdoors said the soles were very slippery in the wet – did you find that?

I had some keens that were poor in the wet, mainly going downhill. It was the rounded heel that caused it.

I think it was Scarpa tried a more rounded heel BITD but had to discontinue it for the same reason.

FunkyDunc

Salomon approach shoes. Unless you are intending to go out in crappy conditions

I wouldn’t use a ‘walking boot’ at all these days in decent conditions

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

They’re quality kit, the most comfortable thing I’ve ever put on my feet, and I expect them to last forever

Mine wore out after about 12 years (the foam part of the sole is disintegrating). Meindl say that they can repair them, so they’ll be going back for a refurb shortly.

Premier Icon Drac
    Subscriber

North Face GTX shoes are my choice, my first pair I did about 1500 miles in them including Challenge walks of 60 miles and 80 miles. My new ones I’ve down about 350 miles in including another challenge walk, no issues with blisters from either pair

craig24

Just bought myself a pair of these last week –

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/regatta-mens-samaris-mid-wp-mens-walking-boots-p409174

Comfortable, waterproof and well priced at £48. Also feel quite light, but I haven’t anything else to compare them to.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

For what I’d consider ‘general’ walking – muddy family walks in the woods to Welsh hills to occasional Welsh mountain. I don’t think I need anything particularly gnarly.

Salomon boots tend to fit me well. Also think Scarpa do as I once tried on a pair and they were great – that was a long time ago though. However cost is a factor and Scarpa are spendy.

Any good value brands I should be considering?

Do I want leather or not?

silvermatt

I got a pair of Brasher hillmaster about 10 years ago. Really comfy but the sole did wear down – not that it made noticeable difference though. I recently bought a new pair on Amazon for £85 which is nearly half the RRP. If I can get another 10 years from this pair I’ll be very happy.

The new ones are now Berghaus as they bought the brasher brand but its near enough the same and comfy straight from the box. They now have a Vibram sole so might wear less but feels like the same material. Both pairs are leather and I’d recommend this for the toughness and the ease of applying fresh wax to help keep the water out.

nickhit3

Decathlon have a great selection. My last pair have been brilliant.

unovolo

I have a pair of Haix ex army boots for walking, cant fault them.
    Them might not be flash but for wandering around in fields,woodland and what not they do the job fine.
    Feel pretty solidly made and are fairly easy to get on and off.

Premier Icon matt_outandabout
    Subscriber

Salomon approach shoes. Unless you are intending to go out in crappy conditions

I wouldn’t use a ‘walking boot’ at all these days

+1

And when I do, it’s big Munro days in poorer weather, multi day backpacks or snow/proper wet.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Crappy conditions such as what? Ankle deep mud is the main hazard around here 🙂 Definitely boots.

snaps

Keep an eye out for Scarpa rangers, they come in the sales for well under £80 often.
    I’m using a pair & some Zamberlans that cost double the Scarpa’s but they are both very good.

Brashers were comfy, but the tread didn’t last long.

Brasher used to do a resole service for their boots.

km79

I’ve never had a fabric type boot that remained waterproof for any length of time. Compared to a well made leather boot (ie one piece) they just can’t compete in my opinion. Saying that for anything other than walking in full on winter conditions I’d take the comfort of a lightwieght fabric boot or shoe and make do with warm ‘waterproof’ socks over a pair of heavy leather boots. A lot of leather boots these days come with goretex lining the same as the fabric boots. These are the worse type of boots for me. They are not as well made as the one piece type leather boots therefore rely on the lining, these are about as waterproof as the fabric ones yet nearly as heavy as the good non-lined leather ones.

Premier Icon Suggsey
    Subscriber

Another fan of the Meindal Bhutan boot, supremely comfortable for everyday where/dog walking in the countryside duties and have a pair of Altbergs for rockier mountain walks as they’re a bit stiffer and thicker in the sole unit. Think the Bhutan’s on really rocky trails aren’t stiff enough/thick enough sole unit.

2 pairs of North Face GTX have fallen apart on me after a short time just through dog walking and regular local walks. Just too lightweight.

In contrast the Scarpa boots I’ve now got seem bombproof and so were the pair before them. Both also really comfy.

Premier Icon scotroutes
    Subscriber

molgrips – Member
    Crappy conditions such as what? Ankle deep mud is the main hazard around here Definitely boots.

Those light weight boots I use aren’t much heavier than an approach shoe but offer a little more ankle height to avoid sloppy mud getting in.

wilburt

I’ve been trundling around in some Brasher Hillmasters for 7 or 8 years and really like them. They are pre Berghaus Portugese made and fit like slippers.

Only downside is they are heavy compared to the modern stuff. In a size 10 they’re almost 2kg whilst some Mammut (Raichle) approach shoes I have are under 700g.

Buying now I would get some fabric or leather mid weight mid stiffness boots, whatever feels best in the shop.

Premier Icon lunge
    Subscriber

Decathlon for cheapness, very good value if they fit.
    I’ve got some Zamberlan boots that are lovely but they sure weren’t cheap.

Premier Icon colournoise
    Subscriber

Although they now seem to have ditched the speed laces for traditional ones.

Premier Icon BadlyWiredDog
    Subscriber

You want traditional, fully-stiffened, one-piece leather, full depth, walking boots with a full steel shank. I bought mine back in the 1980s and they’re still going strong. Once they’d broken my feet in, which only too four or five years, they became almost bearable to wear. You also need Norwegian rag wool socks and a pair of liner socks. Sure they’re heavier than more modern, lightweight boots, but how many of those will still be going strong in two decades time? My nan was buried in hers. HTH.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 68 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.