Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Talk to me about tyre… inserts
  • lawman91

Fed up of feeling the rim hitting rock and root on the Soul, it’s so damn fast that even at reasonable pressures (22/23psi at 80kg, Maxxis Forekasters on Arch MK3 rims) I find myself whacking the rim multiple times a ride. I like how well the tyres roll and the grip is good at that pressure, but if I go any higher they seem to be a lot more skittish, so loathed to try a heavier & slower rolling tyre so figured some lighter tyre inserts might be the ticket. Looking around Cushcore looks too expensive and too heavy, anyone tried Rimpact, Panzer inserts or the Effetto Tyre Invader? Ideally I don’t want to add too much weight wise, so under 100g would be preferable. Anyone using the ones mentioned or can think of anything else I’ve forgotten?

ta11pau1

Rimpact. Bit of a sweat getting the tyres onto the rim but otherwise, all good. Lower pressures (20psi or less) fell like more because of the support. Get the valves too, they’re very good valves for a few quid more.

Northwind

I’m not sure it’ll do what you want tbh. If you’re bashing the rim often the foam will get cut up and lose effectiveness.

TBH I’m totally on the fence. On the one hand, I got a front end flat about 5 minutes from the end of the megavalanche that would have been a total pain in the arse without the foam. But on the other, I’m reasonably sure it would have sealed, if not for the foam- it was a wee cut right beside the foam and it was stopping sealant getting to the hole! I’ve still got one in the rear of the big bike, mostly because fixing punctures in winter is horrible.

I really do think the correct answer is tougher tyres. Kind of assuming you’re on an Exo, which frankly do tend to be pretty flimsy. Not sure if they do a DD in your size but there are similar tyres- dhr2 frinstance- that can be tougher without sacrificing too much. If you can still find a Supergravity rock razor then they’re a brilliant combination of fast and tough, and work surprisingly well in the wet… Or WTB have a pretty good range too. Specialized Somethingorother Grid?

BearBack
    Free Member

I’m not sold. ride #2 on Rimpact installed on the rear saw me destroy a carbon rim.
    It certainly didn’t do the job I expected and alloy rims with no inserts and the same tyre have dealt with much worse…although perhaps relying on the old ‘tyre sidewall squeeze’ pre ride isn’t suitable with inserts and I should have checked the psi with the trackpump?
    Tyre certainly didn’t feel soft though on the 1000m of trail before my day got really expensive.
    inserts removed and running a heavier tyre instead.. which is fine as its “training”!
    I might use one in the rear of my go-fast bike, but I wouldn’t be dropping any pressure, merely use it as a safety.

fathomer

I’ve got a Rimpact in the rear on my 29er full sus.

Before installing I ran 30psi ish using a 2.3″ DHR2, I weigh somewhere between 75-80kg, and would hear/feel the rim ding most Peak/Lakes rides. A pinch flat in Grizedale was the final straw.

Now run about 28psi and ‘think’ I’ve noticed a ding once since the middle of September. So I like it, I just dread having a non fixable puncture when miles from the car, guess I’ll have to wear the insert like a beauty pageant winner 🙂

simonhuscroft
    Free Member

I have had rimpacts for a while. I really like them.

I don’t think they allow you to lower the pressure loads but I’m heavy (100 kg) and they allow me to run pressures where I’m happy with grip levels / damage limitation. It’s horses for courses I guess but I run, as a general rule, 27.5 rear 24 front on the full sus. I never feel any dings now but without them I was regularly dinging rims. After a good year with them they have hardly any damage and to be fair I could probably run a bit lower pressures but I’m happy where I am.

Depending on where you ride / tyre width 23 psi would be on the low side for a hardtail on the rear in my opinion. But I reckon with a rimpact you would be spot on at that weight. Tyre width makes a big difference.

I too wonder how I would fair if I had to take it out and ride with it. Guess it would be a case of finding something to get most of the sealant off and stuffing it in the bag. I have had zero issues but always carry plugs just in case.

survivor

Depending on where you ride / tyre width 23 psi would be on the low side for a hardtail

This…..

I’d never go nearer that pressure on a hardtail

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Depending on where you ride / tyre width 23 psi would be on the low side for a hardtail on the rear in my opinion.

Again, this (subject to what size Forekaster it is – a 2.35 or 2.6?)I’m over 15kg lighter than you and run Maxxis 2.3s but at more like 28-30psi and still dink the crap out of the rim. I just treat them as a (long term) consumable, a bit like drivetrains.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

I really do think the correct answer is tougher tyres.

I’m moving in this direction too personally. Don’t forget that when inserts started becoming a thing, there was less choice of tyres with decent carcasses.

I’ve never run front inserts because I’m not that heavy on the front, but I’m not ready to loose the rimpact on the back yet. Double down is still making its way through the maxxis range at the moment. Oddly, some of the 2.5 and 2.6s are missing it at the moment.

riklegge

I’ve used the Panzer insert, and like others I’m on the fence. It definitely helped save the end of a ride when I’d torn the tyre, and the insert provided enough cushioning to be able to ride down to the bottom. However on another ride it made needing to fit an inner tube a huge pain.

As others have said, I’d be tempted to use stronger sidewalls and up the pressure. I’m only 60kg but typically use higher pressures than you mention especially on a hardtail.

riklegge

Oh, and there’s an interesting podcast (Downtime I think?) with one of the Enve staff where they discuss inserts, and how in some cases they might contribute to increased rim damage.

eskay

Bookmarked

sillyoldman

I run 24psi in the rear tyre on my hardtail but I’m 65kg and don’t ride tyres anywhere as flimsy as Forekasters. Another vote for more pressure and a burlier tyre.

mcnultycop

I have no idea what pressure is in my 2.8 Nobby Nics with inserts as the insert is so tight to the valve I can’t let any air out. It’s up tubeless and feels Ok so I’m just using it until it breaks.

On one inserts BTW

chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve been very impressed with the Rimpact strip I’ve used for a year, and it was virtually undamaged despite lots of rocks and low-ish pressure.

I do use it with a supergravity tyre though.

Went back to an exo rear with no insert to try for a bit in the slop and went and holed my tyre and dinged my rim so it wouldn’t hold air on Sunday. My own silly fault.

chiefgrooveguru

I’ve got the Rimpacts in both bikes, and I took the hardtail down some extremely rocky stuff in Mallorca this summer. I don’t think I’m running lower pressures but the insert seems to have three functions – it supports the sidewall reducing squirm and adding damping, it reduces the air volume in the tyre so the tyre’s spring rate ramps up more and finally it acts as a bottom-out bumper for the tyre.

None of the effects are life-changing but overall I like the benefits.

chiefgrooveguru

FYI I’m about a stone heavier than you and running about 26psi at the back in a DHR2 2.3 Exo on a Flow EX. 150mm Pike up front with a 63.4 deg head angle so it heads into rough stuff fairly quickly.

Big-Bud
    Free Member

Enve need someone to blame for all those cracked rims 🙂
    Ran some rimpacts for 2 rides and removed them as they offered very little rim protection yet made the tyres rebound too much for me and the fact there is little room for the sealant to do it’s job was the final decision
    I’ve been using the tyre invader which takes up no volume worth noting and doesn’t affect the dampening but it’s still too early to comment if they offer any form of protection

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t really ding rims but I got a pair of rimpacts just to try them out.  I like the way they make the tyres feel (2.6 Specialized Eliminator and Slaughter Grid) but have been surprised by just how much damage they have suffered considering I’m not a hard rider.  I think maybe their light weight limits the protection they can offer.  Here’s a pic of mine https://www.instagram.com/p/B2t8M7wHxkM/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

RamseyNeil
    Free Member
    solamanda
    Free Member

I use the Nukeproof Ard inserts on two bikes, they definitely work better than the huck norris I had before. I was able to run below 20 psi front/ below 25psi rear riding abroad without a hint of striking a rim. Once you get the hang of installing them, they’re quite easy to fit or remove.

chakaping
    Free Member

I like the slightly damped feel of the Rimpact too, encourages me to be a bit more assertive with where I put the back wheel.

Keva
    Free Member

Depending on where you ride / tyre width 23 psi would be on the low side for a hardtail

This…..

I’d never go nearer that pressure on a hardtail

I run 24psi in the rear tyre on my hardtail but I’m 65kg and don’t ride tyres anywhere as flimsy as Forekasters. Another vote for more pressure and a burlier tyre.

same here, probably 65kg dressed to ride with a camelback on. I run 30-35psi on my hardtail- I hate riding with flat tyres 😉 look ahead, unweight the bike and ride over stuff rather than into stuff.

trailsy
    Free Member

Rimpact user here, I like them. I see them as insurance against rim damage; a much cheaper alternative to having to buy a new rim if the worst happens. The “get me home” benefits are a bonus if the tyre does puncture, although I reckon taking them out for a trailside fix would be fine too.

I’m a heavy 100kgs, on a full sus running 29er Maxxis Shorty and DHR2 on DT Swiss and run 13 psi up front and 17 psi out back which seems to put me at the adventurous side of the pressure spectrum…

bloodyshins
    Free Member

I was an early adopter of inserts and I hate riding without them. I first made my own version of schwalbe procore From a set of time trial tyres and road tubes after seeing pics of the prototypes & later upgraded to the real thing. I didn’t want to drill me new rims for the second valves. Swapped to Rimpact now and love them. I really struggle with hand / arm pump and whilst lower pressure helped, I was constantly cutting sidewalls. Being able to run sub 20psi pressures and not worry too much about flats is a revelation & the grip and confidence they gave me was game changing. The Rimpacts support the sidewall more than the procore so even at silly pressures they don’t squirm too badly. I’ve also noticed that below 20psi you seem to actually roll faster on anything but tarmac. The rimpacts are not much more than a third of the weight and cost of pro / Cush core. I ride every weekend in the peaks with regular trips to lakes, Wales, Scotland etc. I flatted about 6 times in 3 years on procore (mostly just popping the high pressure core, not the tyre) and I’ve had one flat in 6 months on Rimpact, nothing a plug couldn’t fix. Best things since dropper posts in my opinion.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about tyre… inserts’ is closed to new replies.