Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • Talk to me about Superstar 2009
  • Olly
    Free Member

Superstar, our friends for a year or two now, have had some bad press and some good press.
    currently running cranks and brake pads with no complaints.
    BB on the other hand was a little…… shonky.

any news on the latest BBs?
    SKF worth the extra tenner over standard bearings?

MrNutt
    Free Member

tea? coffee?

Mistere
    Free Member

Oh I wouldn’t touch their tea: the bags split and its mostly pine needles and compost in there anyway.

the coffee certainly leaves a bitter after taste.

grumm
    Free Member

The Pure Race Cobra i900 adjustable seatpost is good – but much cheaper from xxcycle.com than from superstar. 😛

nickc

Using sintered pads, I’m not dead…

Jamie
    Free Member

Now this feels like the STW of old.

I knew there was something stopping me from truly putting my feet up and relaxing.

Biffer
    Free Member

I’ve had a standard Superstar BB fitted to my SS for 12 months now – no problems…..

……then again that may be down to the bike not being for the last 10 months 😉

sharki
    Free Member

I’m not getting involved for personal reasons, anything i say here will need to be relayed back to my lawyer, so i’ll say nowt but happy new year.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I’ve got a front hub off them and it’s been great so far. only 20.00

Looks almost like a Da Bomb 20mm hub IMO

hora
    Free Member

I’m using Superstar pads on the front, will put some on the rear soon. No complaints although I do check the pads at the start of every ride (although you should anyway!)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

The sintered pads are very good. Especially as XT ones are £20. I reckon the SS ones might actually be just very slightly better than Shimano ones

freeandsingle
    Free Member

I had a pad fall off the backing recently, thought ‘meh, I thought that might happen at some point’ posted it back and got a free replacement. They’re about calculated risk for me, I’m happy to presume that the front and rear will not fail simultaneously and so will continue to reap the fiscal rewards 😀

hilldodger
    Free Member

Wait ’til Jandem Temery rallies the mleheheherers, then the teacups will get stormy alright…………

…one octopus and chips to go please 😆

matt_outandabout

*waves*

scruff
    Free Member

On Saturday I put some SS sintered on my big bike and took it down my local DH course & the old 2nd hand Hope headset exploded. No Octopieziz.

hora
    Free Member

What I will add- I must be honest. I was sceptical but went for it, after all for every ‘fuggin sh1te pads etc’ there were other customers who said ‘their great’. 4 sets for 20quid. Perfect. More and more prices are going up. How long before it starts pricing certain enthusiasts out? They stop going out for rides because its getting too much?

Hats off to Superstar components. We should praise and feedback accordingly. I wonder (before the internet) how many Hope, Shimano etc etc products failed in their early days? The internet can promote but give disproportionate voices..

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

dismantled a shimano BB the other week, realised quite why they last so long, look like the bastard child of a ACB and a normal beering, still got a superstar one in a frame but not used yet, not too confident seeing as the plastic covers fall off when you install the axel and fit nowhere near as flush as the shimano ones.

xc-steve
    Free Member

What about their Superleggera hubs worth the money for all that noise? Or better off with Pro2 which will require less maintenance?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hilldodger – I do not rally the Mlehers on this. Only in SSCs tiny mind does any conspiracy against him exist.

Given that I know of 6 failed cranksets and none that worked properly, given the number of people who have had failed brake pads – from the new and improved batch a well as the old batch, given his appalling attitude and his outrageous claims / lies I think it is a public service to warn how dodgy his business ethic and products are. He believes the sale of goods act and distance selling regulations do not apply to him, his guarantee gives less protection than offered under the sale of goods act

Fully informed people can make real choices.

stuartkendall
    Free Member

add to that a £100 superlegerra hub which lasted a little over a month 🙁

Steve.. go for the hope i’d say.

GaryLake
    Free Member

I never got past being willing to put that god awful superstar logo on my bike…

nukeproof
    Free Member

I’ve tried Superstar pads but they just didn’t last so in my mind its the old adage ‘buy cheap, buy twice’ so back to Avid pads now.

Stoner
    Free Member

Im about to build some SSC hubs into a SS set.

Previously done 20 miles on the rear hub but sent it back as one of the “best spec SKF” bearings was rumbling, had a new free-hub w bearing fitted (under sufference and it came with a free patronising email about there being “nothing wrong but they’d changed it anyway”) and this is what the wheel will be built on – will see how it goes.

poppa
    Free Member

New products for Spring, according to the website. The lock-on grips look interesting. It’s all about being a canny consumer if you ask me, take the wheat leave the chaff.

Drac

Pads I bought have so far been very good.

richc
    Free Member

I’ve only had pads, and pedals off them and they have been very good for the money (the pedals have been excellent) Mind you I didn’t fit them with a rock, so that might explain why they have been fault free.

matt_outandabout

I have had a few SS pads – 50% failure rate, one of which had the (new) pad material fall off, so the pad backing moved out of place and broke the ‘pin’ in the center of the caliper, so destroying the piston.

“buy cheap, buy twice”

and his attitude stinks. I would far rather pay more for someone I don’t begrudge paying money too.

gtkid
    Free Member

Only ever had pads off him and touch wood haven’t had any issues. They might last a tad less miles than shimano ones but at 4 for £20….

clwydrider
    Free Member

On my 6th set of pads, no problems, in fact they seem better than the standard ones. Will try the sintered ones next time.

Bimbler
    Free Member

I’ve just bought 4 pairs of sintered pads. I’ll stick one on the back brake tonight and I’ll be interested to compare it to the Formula sintered that’s about 3 rides old in the front brake.

glenh
    Free Member

I’ve had Pads, BBs, headset – all reasonable stuff in my opinion.

I’ve found the sintered pads are worth the extra – very long lasting.

BB could get shagged easily of you aren’t careful fitting it – the sealing sleeve between the cups has a sliding seal at one end to accommodate different shell sizes (unlike shimano), so if you put the wrong side in first it won’t seal and the bearings will get soaked. However, you just need to look at what you are doing when installing.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I miss the novel approach to customer relations it made me smile and you knew that SSC actually cared if nithing else.
    Just bought pads but not got yet ….I think all pads are just a rip off WHY do they cost about the same (actually dearer than the set of 4 for my car) as the ones for my car and last about 0.1% as long? Do cable ones last longer?

snaps
    Free Member

MY SuperStar IRB ISIS bottom bracket has lasted longer than any other I’ve tried & that included a £120 RF Ti unit!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Did Fruit get banned? I haven’t seen him for ages – since before the hacking. Or has he finally taken advice to shut up and behave professionally?

richc
    Free Member

I guess he has learnt to ignore the trolls

DezB
    Free Member

Sintered pads – excellent.
    Got a brand spanking pair of pedals, sealed bearings £15 a few months back from him. Sorted.

Waiting the the new logo to be on a t-shirt. Will buy one.

hora
    Free Member

matt_outandabout – Whilst on a ride someone told me a chemist lad (or something similar) took the pads to his work and analysed the adhesive used. Apperently the Chinese factory was using the incorrect gunk to what they were asked to use and that its all been sorted after it was corrected. Some elements of this may be wrong (chinese whispers etc) but mine have seperated yet so Im happy!

hilldodger
    Free Member

I think it is a public service to warn how dodgy his business ethic and products are. He believes the sale of goods act and distance selling regulations do not apply to him, his guarantee gives less protection than offered under the sale of goods act

Fully informed people can make real choices.

buqqer informed logical choice, just torch his warehouse (allegedly)….

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Hilldodger – not me Gov! I attempted to give him some friendly advice and was told that I threatened him. Spurious threats of legal action from him – all because I disagreed with him and attempted to give him some advice.

He thinks he is above the law and the content of the e mails I received from him are hilarious.

For example he states on his website that with warranty returns for mail order the buyer has to bear the cost of postage – against specific provisions of the Distance Selling regulations. He states no consideration will be given to cosmetic defects – against specific provisions in the Sale of Goods act. He states his pedals are identical with other manufacturers. When pressed it transpired that the body shape was different, he did not know what bearings were in his competitors products no did he know the composition of the alloy in either pedal. Very identical then.

His idea that customer service consists of slagging of his customers was rather amusing.

Anyway – I think people have enough information to decide if cheap parts are worth the risks of excessive failure rates and poor business ethic.

scruff
    Free Member

(Yawns at TJ, again)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Superstar 2009’ is closed to new replies.