Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Talk to me about sleat Isle of Skye
  • carbon337
    Free Member

Any advice welcome, walks, must see’s etc

glupton1976
    Free Member

Non-random fact. It’s pronounced slate rather than sleet.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

Sleat is fantastic in good weather and out of the midge season.

Must do’s
    South – Park at the old church and walk (a very undulating walk) to the very southern tip but make sure you head back via the lovely small beach at Camas Daraich/Craig Mhor (1/2 day if nice and warm full day)

Armadale Ferry point – Take the SeaFari http://www.seafari.co.uk/skye/gallery.php (1/2 or full day)

Take your time with plenty of stops and exploring on the square road out to the West Coast, there are old castles, beaches, rock pools to explore. At the northern tip Ord is a lovely spot, have a look around the private garden and walk out to the north. (1/2 day if nice full day, but take food and drink as there is no cafe’s or pubs)

IsleOrnsay has a nice gallery and beaches to explore (1/2 day)

Further north, Kylerhea Otter spotting area (1/2 day, full day if otters are about)

If wet there is always Armadale castle if you like that sort of thing

Others to look out for are just a little more north.
    On the Broadford to Elgol road, 2 miles out of Broadford take the southern footpath to the clearance villages of Boreriag and Suisnish (1/2day – full day)
    Elgol is great to explore and the ferry to Lock Coruisk in the heart of the Cullin should be on everyone’s bucket list, ferry back or take it one way and walk back over the “bad Step” (1/2 or full day)

Drac

I met a guy who had just come down from the Isle of Sky, he’s name was Donald and he had no trousers. God did he go on about it.

peterfile
    Free Member

South – Park at the old church and walk (a very undulating walk) to the very southern tip but make sure you head back via the lovely small beach at Camas Daraich/Craig Mhor (1/2 day if nice and warm full day)

This. There’s a fair bit of heather bashing required, but the views on a clear day from the lighthouse are unreal.

I’ve actually spent a full week based in Sleat, and was never bored, so that gives you an idea of how much I like the south of the island (despite spending most of my time on Skye much further north).

I’d echo all the things John suggested (Loch Corusik would definitely be one of the most memorable things you could do, you really need to if you have the time).

If you are a foodie, then The Old School House, Kinloch Lodge (which has a michelin star) and the Three Chimneys (although that’s a bit of a drive) are all awesome restaurants, with prices in line with their standard.

If you are planning on doing restaurants and B&Bs in Skye, be aware that it can be quite expensive. If you’re on a budget it’s worth checking menus and tariffs online beforehand.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about sleat Isle of Skye’ is closed to new replies.