Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Talk to me about roof boxes- How big? Which one? Where from?
  • ross980
    Free Member

I need to get hold of roof box, no rush as I don’t need it until after Christmas.

Anyone recommend one?

Size wise 350-400 litres at a guess but I’m open to suggestions (the boot will mainly be full of baby stuff so our bags need to go on the roof). It’s only going to get used a couple of times a year so I don’t want to spend much (£200 max, preferably much less).

It’s not the most exciting of subjects, but any advice gratefully received.

Cheers.

uplink
    Free Member

I have a Kamei Delpin 470 that’s surplus to requirements

Have a look around at what you need & if you’re interested in a Kamei give me a shout & I’ll get it down over the Christmas hols & do some photos for you

oldgrump08
    Free Member

http://www.roofbox.co.uk will tell you what’s available, what bits you need to fit to your car, etc etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Baron_von_drais
    Free Member

I got a Thule Atlantis 600 earlier this year. It is 340L but we were amazed how much it held when we camping this summer. Also, because it is a slim one I can fit two bikes on the roof at the same time.

Think about where it will be stored when you aren’t using it. I’ve finally got mine on the garage wall but it was a pain while it was just on the garage floor.

ross980
    Free Member

Good point Baron, storage could be a problem as it would have to fit in my (already severely overcrowded) shed. The alternative is one of those Thule foldaway ones, but they look about as aerodynamic as a brick…

Uplink – how much would you be looking at for it?

uplink
    Free Member

Uplink – how much would you be looking at for it?

£150 ish, I think

leffeboy

Fwiw the Thule one that I’ve tried goes on awesomely quickly. They have a great clamp that can tighten up without tools. Others may as well of course

matthewjb
    Free Member

I’ve used Roofbox.co.uk for bike racks etc.

Highly recommended.

steviegil
    Free Member

http://www.thule-car-roof-boxes.co.uk/thule-ranger-soft-boxes.htm

No hassles with getting it into the shed and it gets very good reviews on Which – probably the one im going to end up buying but its at the small end of your scale..

peajay

I would say get one that opens on both sides, just makes life easier, and saves an awkward stretch to tighten the fixtures if it’s a big one,

simon_g

Bear in mind the weight limits for the box, your bars and your roofrails (or roof). They tend to not be that high, so best to put the bulky but fairly light stuff up there.

clipper68
    Free Member

I’ve got the 250l little one from Halfords. We do family camping holidays in a 1l corsa. Box and one bike on the roof and three bikes on a saris bones on the rear. The box was in their sale for £80.

stevemorg2

If you are anywhere near Cardiff I have a Thule Alpine 500 I no longer need and am thinking of selling.

ivantate
    Free Member

I have the 250l one from Halfords, there stand blew over outside so i picked in up cheap with a dent in it.

It feels like there is loads of space in it but then we are using it on a Fiat Panda.

I would probably go with Thule and the fitted bags if budget was higher. That way all the space is used.

ivantate
    Free Member

oops, their

spooky_b329

We borrowed a large halfords one, on our old Citroen ZX it looked hilarious as it was bigger than the roof, suited the mondeo much better.

Storage is a serious issue though, we had it lying around in the (small) garden for a year before we gave it back. If you get one of the slimline ones there would be many more options for tucking it out of the way.

Cougar

+1 for Roofbox. Excellent service.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about roof boxes- How big? Which one? Where from?’ is closed to new replies.