Talk to me about rear shocks – first FS bike

Home Forum Bike Forum Talk to me about rear shocks – first FS bike

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Talk to me about rear shocks – first FS bike
  • Premier Icon BoardinBob
    Subscriber

Spesh tended to use proprietary stroke lengths on their shocks hence why you can’t find an off the shelf one to fit. I had an FSR and I bought a Float RP2 and got TF Tuned to change the stroke length to match the correct size. Cost about £30 and took 3 days.

Premier Icon nickjb
    Subscriber

Might be worth chatting to LoCo. He does this sort of thing. I think you swap some bits of the triad to the RP23 and vice-versa and end up with two shocks, one to fit and one to stick on ebay. Temped to do the same thing to mine but only in a ‘running out of things to fiddle with’ kind of way as it works fine for me.

rocco

I currently have a 2008 Spec Stumpjumper with the standard Triad shock with no brain but its not working as well as it could, slow return, sticking a little etc, so I was looking at using it as an excuse to upgrade. However not ever having owned a full sus bike before I have no idea about rear shocks.

The standard triad is 7.25 x 1.75 which is a little uncommon and some people recommend fitting something like a rp23 in 7.5 x 2.0 guise.This would increase the rear travel slightly. But what does it mean when a shock is low or high volume? Should I look at upgrading with something like the rp23? Getting the triad reconditioned or anything else that I should look at?

rocco

Email sent to Loco, probably the easiest way

andylc

I have a 2008 Stumpie Expert with the Spesh Rear shock and brain. I have never felt that it performed like the Fox shock on my previous bike, and the Brain is just not necessary – it just makes the shock really jerky, not doing anything one second and suddenly working the next.
    The other week decided it was time to do something about it. The RP23 did come in this size but is no longer made.
    Within 5 days of saving a search on ebay for a 185mm X 45mm RP23 (7.25″ X 1.75″) one had come up, I bought it for £125, ordered the 15.8mm fox shock low friction kits (one for each end) from tftuned shox, and fitting it was a breeze. The bike performs much better already, with the familiar lightning quick response of the Fox rear shock. I would highly recommend doing it.

Dales_rider

Give it a service ?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about rear shocks – first FS bike’ is closed to new replies.