Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Talk to me about Prague
  • stayhigh

Morning All

I’m going on a weekend break to Prague in January and am looking for some tips on whats good/must do while there. Recommendations for hotels and such appreciated as well as some idea of cost of living please.

Short and sweet but should be working 😉

Thanks all 🙂

jekkyl

Darlings!

kimbers

I’m off there in a coue of weeks for am anniversary break

I know nothing about it either so also keen to hear any recommendations
    I’ll let you know what I discover stayhigh

BillMC

Old part of the city is nicer/quieter than Wenceslas Sq. Booze is v good and cheap as is pub food. I had a self-catered flat there, better than hotels IMO. You can walk to many/most places, clock, Charles Bridge etc.

Flaperon

The Metropol hotel is cheap and very welcoming.

Metro is very easy to use, you buy time, not distance, and any newspaper seller on the street can sell you a day ticket for about £3, which is also valid on trams. Do not be tempted to fare dodge – it might look as though no one is watching but if you can’t show a ticket it’s an automatic trip to the cells at the local station and a whopping fine.

Just upriver from the Charles bridge (and hard to find from above – look for the Pedallos) is a bar on the river bank with food, cheap beer, and live music.

Usual tourist stuff – you can take the tram to the mini Eiffel Tower or walk up. Watch out for nutjobs on Segways.

There’s a stunning Asian restaurant calls SaSaZu on the other side of the river. Traditional Czech cuisine is worth trying if you’re a fan of soup and cabbage. Other than that there’s a roaring trade in Italian food for tourists.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Have the Goulash in bread!
    Oh and January?
    Mmmmmm
    There WILL be lots and lots and lots and lots (get the idea) of stunningly naturally beautiful women in tight jeans and knee high boots…. (almost the national costume)
    OH! nearly forgot – Hooters Bar 😉

RoterStern
    Free Member

The castle is a worth a look and as already said the old town is pretty compact so everything reachable on foot. All bars and restaurants have two price lists one for Czechs and one for tourists. But don’t worry the tourist price is still cheaper than western European prices. Oh there is also a good underground system but don’t try to get on without the correct ticket as the fines are more expensive than in London!!!

theotherjonv

Get yourself to the Black Ox up near the castle, and spend an hour or two doing some charitable giving.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowUserReviews-g274707-d866498-r158664792-U_Cerneho_vola-Prague_Bohemia.html

jekkyl

in all seriousness there are numerous bars where you can listen to live 4/5 piece jazz and the quality is high.

kayak23

It’s a cool city. I was there in the Summer, passing through. It’s the second time I’ve been.

It’s in danger of being spoiled by Stag/Hen weekends in ‘team t-shirts’, as is many a European city, but still, you can dodge that to a certain extent.
    Beautiful place, loads of great bars etc to discover.

Walk over the Charles bridge and way up the hill to the Government buildings. Fantastic view over the city and some lovely steep cobbled streets and alleys.

Get a train or walk up Petrin Hill. You can see the big observation tower from the city, and you can climb up the observation tower too.
    They actually had an urban DH race in the city which started at Petrin tower, but it doesn’t really have enough gradient to be fair.

In the main square, go up the old tower. The inside of it has this mental stairway and the views from the top all over the city are incredible.

Tower liftshaft

Up the tower in the main city square

Petrin tower in the distance

Tramlines are still fashionable

doris5000

the touristy stuff is worth it in Prague – the castle, Charles Bridge, Petrin Hill (and the funicular), the Old Town Square, the TV tower (if they’ve finished renovating it) yadda yadda.

Potrefena Husa is a reliable chain for food and drink at reasonable prices, try the Staropramen Granat. And the tatarak.

I think some of these comments are a bit out of date – the stag do lot were a real issue c. 2001 – 2005 but most of them head to cheaper places like Riga or Sofia now, it’s calmed down a lot. And the tourist menu thing is largely gone too; a shitty bar in Zizkov or wherever might still try to pull a fast one but for the most part Prague is much more modern and westernised now. You can still find sex drugs and old skool Eastern European seediness but it’s rapidly becoming more like e.g. Vienna now.

Just wander round, get lots of trams, wrap up warm, drink mulled wine, try some olde worlde cafe society vibes in Cafe Savoy, Cafe Imperial or Cafe Slavia, eat plenty of dumplings and pork. It’s still a great place

marmaduke
    Free Member

Went there in Jan two years ago with the missus and it was great but sooooo cold. My feet and gloved hands were like blocks of ice so take some decent clothes. Also it was very off season which was lovely. I passed through for a couple of days this Summer and it was just another eurobackpacker hole.

alpin
    Free Member

i found THIS WEBSITE quite useful…

cubist
    Free Member

They seemed rather preoccupied with midgets last time I was there (it was stag do though so as a group of lads we attracted the attentions of those employed in the seedier trades of the city)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Prague’ is closed to new replies.