Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Talk to me about Nidderdale
  • bspoked
    Free Member

I’m thinking of heading up there early in the morning to get a ride in before going to watch the Cyclopath Downhill Rd1 at Ramsgill.

I’m looking for a route that will have stood up to the last 12 months of rain. And whilst dry dusty technical singletrack would be very nice, realistically some hard pack bridleways and some fast grin-inducing descents would do nicely.

What would parking in Lofthouse, slogging up through Middlesmoor and over Rain Stang, descending down to the reservoir, crossing over and riding the Nidderdale way down the valley back to Lofthouse work like?

Wrong way round, better options, bog trot? Any advice greatly received.

bspoked
    Free Member

Snow forecast but heading up there now. Any last words?

martinhutch

This is a classic all-weather route – very few muddy sections – you’ll have a blast. I think it’s the right way round as otherwise you’re wasting descent on roads.

My only recommendation is to keep going on the BWs across the road back down to Lofthouse and follow them all the way back to Ramsgill. Otherwise you’ll miss the best bits, really.

Snow might be your only problem!

EDIT – oh, well, missed him I expect!

bspoked
    Free Member

Nope, last check in from lofthouse car park.

Cheers Martin, that has cheered me up more than this weather.

martinhutch

That’s good. Let us know how you got on – it looks bloody foul out there!

bspoked
    Free Member

Really good. Couldn’t see more than 20 foot at times on the way up, but the snow was nice and crunchy, plenty of grip (tyres and occasionally shoes 🙂 ). Descent to the reservoir was great. Took a couple of wrong turns in the fog on the far side but no real damage. One section was a nightmare where it had been cut up by a tractor, wheelspinning like I was on a turbo trainer. Fav part was the singletrack descent to lindley? farm. Loose and drifty but just enough grip to pick a line.

martinhutch

Sounds challenging. I wouldn’t have wanted to be out there yesterday.

Must admit, I misunderstood your proposed route – the classic Nidderdale round goes up to the top of the moor after the reservoir and stays high all the way to the Lofthouse – Masham road, crosses it, then continues on before descending into Bouthwaite on rocky track.

I think I would have opted for a low alternative yesterday though.

bspoked
    Free Member

Yes, when you said carry on for Ramsgill I presumed you meant on the higher line. I was glad of the relative shelter of the valley yesterday.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Nidderdale’ is closed to new replies.