Talk to me about natural carpet – Coir, Sisal, seagrass etc.

Home Forum Chat Forum Talk to me about natural carpet – Coir, Sisal, seagrass etc.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Talk to me about natural carpet – Coir, Sisal, seagrass etc.
  • Want to get some carpet for our new loft room and stairs leading thereof.

never bought carpet before, don’t have any, anywhere else in our house but we like the look of the naturals stuff, Coir, Sisal, Seagrass etc.

Seems expensive though.

Anybody got any experiences they’d like to share?

roper

dear lord, please keep this thread clean and coherent.

armleg

Premier Icon wwaswas
    Subscriber

*puts away friction burns anecdote for another time*

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

Habitat have some in the shop you can look at. Nice it is too.

Premier Icon glenh
    Subscriber

Used to have some coir stuff.

It was scratchy, difficult to clean and stained easily.

FunkyDunc

Did anyone say its expensive?

Can’t say I would want to walk in bare feet on coir carpet.

organic355

Crucial trading do great stuff. We put grey sisal on our stairs and landing and it looks great, although beware of when cleaning it, you have to use the supplied cleaning products and brush and do not put water on it! it wont turn into a gremlin but it can strip the die out of the carpet, as we discover when out cat was sick on it!

organic355

I quite like the scratchyness on bare feet.

but I tend to agree it is difficult to clean.

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

Stayed in a hotel with seagrass. Doesn’t like water, hurts your bare feet/knees/arse and stains very easily.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

It can shrink as well as being uncomfortable, hard to clean, and easily stained…

Picture forming yet?

So, it’s expensive, uncomfortable, won’t cope with anything being spilt on it, and is hard to clean.

any good points?

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

So, it’s expensive, uncomfortable, won’t cope with anything being spilt on it, and is hard to clean

Sounds like Rapha.

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

It recycles easily once you’ve torn it out in a pique of frustration?

organic355

Its quite hardwearing though 🙂

So even if its stained, it wont get worn.

sharkbait

A little balance here.
    We’ve had coir down in the ‘breakfast room’ for 9 years and it has coped admirably with all the food and drink 3 little girls have been able to [literlly] throw at it. Yes it has stained a bit but it’s incredibly hard wearing and I think it’s done a fine job. Comfort-wise it’s never been an issue. Beware that it may well change colour…. ours went a bit darker over the years (I think we had Panama Natural).

The coir was actually used on the whole of the ground floor but we replaced some with Sisal (had a radiator leak that would have stained any carpet, so we replaced a few rooms).
    The Sisal looks smarter (partly because it’s a flatter weave) but the usual natural flooring rules still apply. The dogs have been sick on it a few times but only one has stained a bit (bile). We recently had a big water leak from upstairs that lead to a 4′ square wet bit on the sisal – I was worried that it would stain but after a few days you couldn’t tell it had been soaking wet.
    Overall I really like natural carpets and wouldn’t really think of anythinf else for the ground floor – especially with dogs.
    Yes you do need to be a little careful but it’s much harder wearing than you think.

I have some astroturf I could sell you? It’s all the rage apparently, according to the Guardian.

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

Its Shite expensive shite and I fit the stuff for a living .

wouldnt have it in my own home but happy to put it in customers .

sharkbait

and I fit the stuff for a living

Does this mean you don’t like fitting it? Obviously we’re all entitled to our own opinion, but if you wouldn’t have it in your home then how do you know it’s shite?

Premier Icon midlifecrashes
    Subscriber

We have some natural carpets, made from a material called Wool.

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

Sharkbait

when you have been fitting flooring for years you sort of develop a certain knowledge on what is good and what is bad .

bear in mind I also take up a whole bunch of knackered flooring so have seen it at its best and worse .

Dont mind at all fitting it , it is easy money .

sharkbait

when you have been fitting flooring for years you sort of develop a certain knowledge on what is good and what is bad

Fair enough. Just my opinion having lived with it in two houses for a total of 16 years.

Premier Icon molgrips
    Subscriber

I just can’t think of anything to put on my two lots of stairs and landings that’s not either utterly boring or awful. Got beige wool on there now and it’s so dull.

If I’d have known you could get wooden floor coverings for stairs I might’ve gone for that when it was new. As it is now we’ve got wood in all the rooms but not the landings/stairs.

Premier Icon ransos
    Subscriber

My carpet is made out of wool. Which is also natural…

Premier Icon trout
    Subscriber

Molegrips

it is possible to do wood on your stairs,
    not cheap though

handyman

I wll agree its a bugger to clean, bits stick to it and it gets smelly if you have dogs or cats, burns well on the fire, when we took ours up the amount of dirt which had fallen through the gaps and resisted being vaccumed up was amazing could of built a dirt/sand castle

nicko74

roper – Member

dear lord, please keep this thread clean and coherent.

Bah, this thread is NOTHING like I’d hoped!!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about natural carpet – Coir, Sisal, seagrass etc.’ is closed to new replies.