Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Talk to me about longtail bikes
  • kevs
    Free Member

Im sure many of you have longtail type cargo bikes, so talk to me about what i think i want.
    Currently using a front loading cargo bike for carrying 2 YO twins about in, perfect on road and gravelly bits but a bit of a pain when it gets narrow/ twisty.
    I like the idea of a surly big dummy or maybe even big fat dummy, however there’s a lot of different models from other companies.
    Anyone have experience of either or any other types to look for?

nixie

I’ve a dummy which I use to cart both our children around on the school/nursery run, then onto work. I’ve had it about 6 months now and am very happy with it. Like a lot of the reviews mention it does ride just like a normal bike, with the exception you can’t wheelie and it is heavier. Ours is fully kitted out for child carrying with a Yepp seat for the youngest and hooptie, magic carpet and u tubes. The most noticeable thing different between riding a normal bike and this is the weight, not when riding though. Its the side to side weight when mounting/dismounting or manoeuvring on foot, you have to be aware of what your doing or it would be very easy to drop the bike and children in a heap. Size wise I’m 6’2″ on a large. The length is great but if I was any shorter then I’d want a medium for the stand over as its full stand over height, not lower stand over like the modern MTB trend.

I bought a full bike on offer then swapped the surly deck for a xtracycle one capable of direct mounting the yepp seat. The biggest issue here is getting hold of the (xtracycle) parts to convert to full child carrying mode. I was very lucky to find a local dummy rider who no longer used the hooptie so bought that from them second hand. They are like hens teeth otherwise. Similarly the kick stand that comes with the dummy is a joke. If you need to lift the children on or off (which you will assuming seats or a hooptie style device) then you need a proper stand. These are not cheap and the choice pretty much comes down to a) Rolling jackass ($$$$), b) xtracycle kickback3 ($$$ + modification), c) lucky find of xtracycle kickback 1 second hand, d) DIY. All in I think I spent £1600 on the bike then £5-600 on extras!

I didn’t ride any of the alternatives however we have a friend who bought a old yuba mundo to carry their two children on. He has that kitted out with just two seats on the back. There is also another mundo rider local to me that I’ve spoken with a few times who raves about his bike. His children are older so sit direct onto the deck.

If your on facebook there are a few useful groups to look at;
    Dummy group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/ILoveMySurlyBigDumy/
    UK cargo bikes buy/sell https://www.facebook.com/groups/128645471090212/

edhornby

can’t find the link to the recent thread but DrP was looking for a longtail cargo, useful chat on it but one thing I would say is don’t be in a rush to get rid of your front loader. kids soon grow too big for cargo rear load bikes and a front loader is the thing I’d have loved if I could afford/store it

kevs
    Free Member

Thanks, im definitely keeping the front loading cargo bike as i have the space and it cost me pennies. Looks like a big dummy is the way forward if i cant find an old xtracycle conversion.

trail_rat
    Free Member

kids soon grow too big for cargo rear load bikes and a front loader is the thing I’d have loved if I could afford/store it

Really ? How big are your kids. My wife’s 5ft 6 and is happy and barely noticable on the back of our long tail.- it’s an xtracycle freeradical on a Kona sutra frame.

Front box loader are not fun on cycle paths with motor bike restrictions.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about longtail bikes’ is closed to new replies.