Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 187 total)
  • Talk to me about life in and around Bristol.
  • wordnumb
    Free Member

You hold move to Yate Don.

Its where it is all happening now.

Not since Tesco crashed a space station into the place.
    They all died.

Bristol’s alright.

Jolsa

noteeth
    I now live on Ashton Road

*waves from the other side of the park*

Yes to Mark’s Bread! Also, I’ll throw in Lockside cafe, Upfest (local but big graffiti festival), independent shops and bars on North street, nice harbourside route into the centre, The Cottage Inn and The Pumphouse by the harbour, towpath route out to Pill, few mins to the delights of Ashton Court/Leigh Woods…

wallop

It’s all about BS3. 8)

What’s all this chat about Yate? Or Yah-tay as I call it. It’s not even in the same county FFS!

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Having said that BS3 is the best Bristol area

Yes – definately 😀

shaggy

I loves it here

Amen me babber.

MrOvershoot

wallop – Member
    What’s all this chat about Yate? Or Yah-tay as I call it. It’s not even in the same county FFS!

I was wondering like, Yate = 1960’s satellite blandville new town compared to Bristol.

Philby

If I needed to live fairly centrally and also have quick access to motorways for Swindon I would be looking at somewhere off Cheltenham or Gloucester Road – Cotham, Bishopston, bottom part of Redland, Horfield, St Andrews or Ashley Down. Lots of flats and lots of independent shops, cafes and restaurants on Gloucester Road.

Regarding bike shops there must be more bike shops per head of population than any other major town or city. I live in Redland and have about 8 within 15 miuntes ride. I personally like Strada in Southville, Psyclewerx in Redland and Bike off the Triangle. Bristol also has some great cycle events – Bristol Bike Fest and Oktoberfest, the recent LVIS Audax (truly fantastic day out), to races up Park Street.

Bristol also has a great street scene – the Banksy exhibition a couple of years ago was amazing and last year’s “See No Evil” graffiti street was just mind blowing:

More here

tangent
    Free Member

Excellent epistle noteeth, (am sure yu meant threw up on Mendip) and good pictures too / A++ thread…Goodluck!

Dette må være den dårligste byen jeg har prøvd til nå.
    Styr unna!

bikewhisperer
    Free Member

TooTall – Member
    Webbs of Warmley for road-related stuff and banter.

Ahh! Say hello next time you’re in.. I’m the new mechanic! Won’t be there full time till the end of april though.. Here’s a gratuitous page ranking link: http://www.webbsofwarmley.co.uk/

Talk about a handy thread when you need it… I’m just thinking about where to look at in Brizzle.

petefromearth

As cheers_drive was saying, if you are commuting east on the m4, which I do, then try to be close to the m32. The traffic is usually fine, and would probably take you 45 mins on a good day if you lived round gloucester road or fishponds. Add 15 or 20 mins if you live in southville.

I’m heavily outnumbered by bs3 folk so I’ll keep it brief.

I live in Bishopston which has a friendly vibe and a good local feel to the place. Gloucester road is where its at for independent shops and restaurants. Its pretty quick to get to clifton or leigh woods. Redland and cotham are nice too.

Downsides –
    marks bread is way better than the breadstore, I’ll give you that 😉
    houses are small, or expensive, or both in our case. Doh! Parking is pretty bad too as most streets are terraces. Further north into horfield is a bit better in that regard, but doesn’t have quite as much going on there

Welcome to bristol though – you’ll love it!

IA

I live in Bishopston which has a friendly vibe and a good local feel to the place. Gloucester road is where its at for independent shops and restaurants. Its pretty quick to get to clifton or leigh woods. Redland and cotham are nice too.

I lived in Bishopton when I was there before, I’d echo this – seemed a nice place to live and I liked it. Would be a bit of a commute though, if I took the job (and crossing right through the centre twice a day )

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

for people with very little money, how is easton to live in?

we think we’ve found a house we can afford there.

KINGTUT
    Free Member

I lived in a bedsit in St Pauls (next door to Easton) for a year or so when I was a lot younger, the area isn’t as bad as people would have you believe however I would not choose to live there now.

BristolPablo
    Free Member

I’m in Downend which is great for the cycle path to the town centre or Bath, the bridleways around keynsham and south to Pensford are only a few minutes away, there is a high street with all the usual amenities, a good curry house, library etc.

Bristol is ace, I would only ever leave out of choice for Vancouver or Melbourne… there is so much to see and do that is free, loads of good bars away from the chavs, good music venues, open spaces, greenery, parks and places like the watershed and the old vic for satisfying any cultural requirements. Some of the best films and theatre I have ever seen has been in room with just a dozen other people and its often cheap enough £<10 a ticket) to take a punt on something that sounds good on a flyer and be amazed. Then there are th big theatres for the touring shows, comedy and bigger bands.
    It still lacks some really good restaurants but thats being picky, there are enough ok ones to keep most foodies happy.

There is a bit of a lentilist/right-on movement and a “Keep Bristol Small” campaign – in that the Council appear to block all kinds of things that might allow the City to grow and attract Business but they dont do too much damage.

My favourite things are Ashton Court, “Moon Cake” from Parsons Bakery, the Watershed and a beer sat outside Channings on a summers evening…

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Really depends on where in Easton. I lived off the southern bit of Stapleton Rd, just across the motorway from St Pauls for a bit. Handy for getting into town and it was reasonably friendly but definitely a touch on the rough side – it may well have improved. Housing stock very shabby at the time but that was a good while ago. Not sure if it’s still the case but the bit of Easton north of Easton Way around the Sugar Loaf pub and St Marks Rd was always the favoured bit with a good community feel, although a bit hippy dippy. Some great ethnic food places around that area. Good access to the Bristol /Bath cycleway from there too.
    Easton as a whole is one of the most economically deprived areas of the SW though so also covers a few really dodgy areas.

clubber
    Free Member

What’s the budget and what sort of house are you after?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

thanks for the feedback on easton…!

clubber – if thats for me, well, 3 bed (min 2 double), reasonably central, furnished, £750/m (and somewhere where my bike won’t get nicked!)

wrecker
    Free Member

Easton in the daytime is ace. Loads of ethnic foods (it’s a very multicultural area), Friendly people, Toveys seafood, a brilliant vibe. It’s quite different at night. It doesn’t have the malevolent feel that St Pauls can but it’s certainly got an edge. I wouldn’t want my kids growing up there, for a small area with little money there’s quite a few young men with very expensive cars.

SammyC
    Free Member

This is all well and good, nice houses, good restaurant, top biking blah blah blah, but what people seem to have forgotten is that there’s a blimmin’ mini train in Ashton Court! yes, MINI-TRAIN!!!!

If that doesn’t seal it then I don’t know what’s wrong with you.

Philby

The people I know who live in Easton seem to love it. The part to the west of Easton Way should be avoided, as probably are the areas very close to Stapleton Road. Areas which seem popular with friends and acquantancies include the Greenbank area near the cemetry, the roads off Chelsea Road, and the bits towards Whitehall. St George is another option in the east which is popular with people looking for better value.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

place we’re looking at is on York Road BS56BJ

wrecker
    Free Member

Stapleton?
    http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-to-rent/property-14908773.html
    Look at the size of the garden!

MrBlond
    Free Member

Any IT employers in / commutable from Brizzle?

Went to uni there and it’s pretty much the only city I fancy living in, other than the big bad smoke where I am now

trickydisco
    Free Member

I live in greenbank and love it! Been in bristol nearly 10 years now and lived in fishponds, knowle and filton.

Really like the vibe of easton/greenbank. St marks road is really nice for restuarants, thali cafe, morrocan and one of the best vegetarian resturants in the uk.

Got to say i love bristol

Philby

place we’re looking at is on York Road BS56BJ

That’s in quite a nice part of Easton well away from the troublespots.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

clubber and wrecker – thanks ever so much! have contacted the one clubber suggested, and will ask my colleague about the location of the other – looks fantastic too!

philby – reassuring to know, thanks!

wrecker
    Free Member

You’re welcome hungry monkey. Good luck.

clubber
    Free Member

no worries. have now noticed that the one I suggested may be a bit close to the railway line.

mrblond – what kind of IT?

SammyC
    Free Member

Oracle?

easyrider
    Free Member

I prefer South Bristol to North (of the river).
    And Clifton is pricy and not all it’s cracked up to be (lots of students & wannabee tofs as per Bath).
    The trails at Ashton Court & LEigh woods are all weather trails, there’s a massive biking scene in the Bristol, Park street was closed of recently for the Red Bull hill climbs.
    As for places to live :
    Depends on whether you like space and a garage.
    if so :
    Knowle, Whitchurch, Stockwood
    If you don’t care but like being closer in to the centre then:
    Windmill Hill , Southville, Totterdown,

I live in Knowle and the area is a pretty good all round balance of space and can get into the city on foot, house prices not too bad etc.

Avoid: Hartcliffe, Knowle West, some bits of Bedminster as well, All of North Bristol (though the sprwaling housing estates of Bradley Stoke are dead close motorwats and to Wales Cwmn Carn FoD and Afan).

noteeth
    Free Member

am sure yu meant threw up on Mendip

That also… although mainly in the lowlands, around Coxley. 😳

wrecker
    Free Member

Avoid:All of North Bristol

South Gloucestershire is better than N and S Bristol though!

easyrider
    Free Member

It’s nice around Kingswood and Wooton_u_Edge, there’s some good biking round those parts.
    The Quontox is the best the area has to offer (the best in the South of England everything considered)

MrBlond
    Free Member

@clubber,

I’m a SQL server / C# dev team manager doing in-house financial systems.

Previous searches on j*bserve etc for Bristol itself have always turned up nowt (and I’m not about to look while at work) but there’s maybe something commutable I haven’t thought of.

All extremely hypothetical at the mo!

SammyC
    Free Member

If only there were some financial companies working in Bristol …. oh wait a minute!… 😉

clubber
    Free Member

😉

as he said, you should be well catered for in Bristol. ime once you’re in IT management you need to try directly or look at the more targeted recruitment companies.

Stuey01
    Free Member

Tell me more about Bishopston, looking to buy there with the wife, I’m pretty sold on it, her not so much.
    Kids are in the imminent future probably, so schools etc important. I commute into the centre, she’s a consultant so could end up posted anywhere.

MrBlond, lots of financial services companies in Brizzle, I work for one and we have a fair few IT people in Bristol.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Hey, it was nearly 20 years ago I last lived there and I was a biologist at the time 😉

Thanks

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about life in and around Bristol.’ is closed to new replies.