Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 187 total)
  • Talk to me about life in and around Bristol.
  • donsimon
    Free Member

As title really.
    I might have the opportunity to move that way in a work related way and was just interested in a bit of a warts an’ all feedback.
    I’m open to other areas and my knowledge to that part of the world is limited. Access to Swindon might be a good idea, so happy to look at somewhere to the east of Bristol.
    Thanks muchly.

jam-bo

Probably the only city I’d consider loving in.

Probably get your bike stolen.

donsimon
    Free Member

Probably get your bike stolen.

You clearly don’t know what my line of work is… 8)

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrecker
    Free Member

If you move down here don, I’ll volunteer to be the first to take you out for a beer (in a non sexy way)
    I’ve lived here for a long time, there are some areas to avoid but it’s generally a good place with a good vibe. PM me if you want any specifics.

peteimpreza

You hold move to Yate Don.

Its where it is all happening now.

rockhopper70

I spent two years there with work. Lived in Willsbridge, just north of Keynsham. Very handy for Bath and Bristol and the M4.
    Liked it a lot and but for a loss in the family my wife and I would probably have put down roots and settled there.
    Sister now lives in a small village to the north of Bath having come from Enfield and loves it. That is very expensive tho.

donsimon
    Free Member

You hold move to Yate Don.

This was actually one of my first thoughts. 😕

mrlebowski
    Free Member

You clearly don’t know what my line of work is..

Bike thief?

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

Great place to live. Surrounded by great countryside and the mtbing and road riding is superb. Lovely city, got it’s rough areas like anywhere and bike theft can be a problem (seems mainly down to riders being followed home after a ride), but overall I highly recommend it.

Jamie
    Free Member

Bit saucy…

donsimon
    Free Member

Bit saucy…

…yet strangely alluring…

Mintman
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

You leave our lady folk alone!

clubber
    Free Member

my wife and I moved here because it’s a fantastic place to live. It has the good things you get in a city without most/many of the negatives you get from the bigger ones.

There’s loads to do, it’s green, has a generally.friendly feel and it’s a fantastic place to be a cyclist. Good trails and road biking very local with tons more a bit further afield.

I can’t see.myself living anywhere else through choice.

Watch out for dodgy neighbours like aka_gilo though 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

Bike thief?

Not connected to this at all, no siree, not one jot, but what sort of bike would be best, what are you guys riding? 8)

donsimon
    Free Member

Only joking about ^^^^this^^^^.
    I might have a visit here, the national build store while I’m down. Is it worth it?

darrell
    Free Member

I wouldn’t live there for a gold pig

donsimon
    Free Member

Go on…

peteimpreza

Man you go to be in Yate.

I can do you a deal on a couple of properties if your are serious.

transapp
    Free Member

I live in Bath and completely love it. If you’re into nightclubs every weekend, it’ll be shite, but other than that it has everything going for it. Lots of riding from within site of the city centre (I can do a 20 mile, 3000ft ride from my door) good food places, pubs and shops, no really rough areas (not compared to larger cities), although houses are freakin expensive, and a pretty nice vibe as long as you don’t object to middle class wannabees! Somehow it’s become a bit of a hen and stag target, but I still don’t know why.
    If you ever fancy a wander about, message me and I’ll be happy to oblige

transapp
    Free Member

Double post

donsimon
    Free Member

It all actually sounds quite positive.

boxfish
    Free Member

It’s gert lush me babber

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i’m moving there in a month – we’re relocating from Morzine, and I’m genuinely excited.

very very excited.

clubber
    Free Member

it’s brill 🙂

peteimpreza

“i’m moving there in a month – we’re relocating from Morzine, and I’m genuinely excited.

very very excited.”

See he is coming from Morzine just to be in Yate

The word is spreading get on the crest of the wave, don’t be a sheep.

wallop

Bristol is amazing. I moved here 10 years ago when I was 22 and just haven’t looked back.

cinnamon_girl

Can the West Country cope with such a Big Hitter?

donsimon
    Free Member

hungry_monkey a big hitter? 😐

cinnamon_girl

Well there can only be one in the West Country who is AWESOME although he no longer visits. Why don’t you and hungry_monkey come to a gentleman’s agreement as to your respective monikers?

csb

Have you got kids? Many of the schools are crap, which has caused mahoosive bubbles in house prices around the good ones.

randomjeremy
    Free Member

It’s not far from the decent Welsh trails and FoD

donsimon
    Free Member

Have you got kids?

No kids, thankfully.

tangent
    Free Member

am sure noteeth will be along to post a mini-essay on this charms of San-Fran-Bristo…the trails n’ ales are good.

MrOvershoot

Yate

aka_Gilo
    Free Member

clubber – Member
    Watch out for dodgy neighbours like aka_gilo though

Oi…..

WildHunter2009

Probably my favourite city. I went to uni there and quite a few of my mates stuck around. Brilliant riding in the city and nearby. Rowberrow is awesome!

Cracking pubs, nightlife and generally all you could ever want. I live over in WA now and miss the place. Would probably move back if I could find a decent job.

Philby

Bristol is a great city to live and ride in. It’s quite an attractive city (Suspension Bridge, Harbour etc.) with lots of great restaurants and bars. Unlike many of the UK’s other larger cities it seems quite compact and you can be out in the countryside in less than half an hour from most areas. Lots of things like festivals going on, and its got well-developed ‘alternative’ and ‘green’ scenes as well. Theatre buffs and film fans (especially fans of independent films) are well catered for.

For road riding there’s some great routes going south to the Mendips. west over the Bridge into Wales and Forest of Dean and north around South Gloucestershire and the bottom of the Cotswolds, and west around Wiltshire and Bath. For mountain biking there’s trails across the Suspension Bridge in Ashton Court and Leigh Woods, and the mountain bike meccas of the Mendips, Quantocks, Forest of Dean and South Wales trail centres are an easy car ride away. There’s also loads of bike paths (its the HQ of Sustrans).

Depending where you live its relatively easy to commute to Swindon – I know lots of people who do (which has the additional benefit of not having to live in Swindon).

What are the negatives?

Traffic can be horrendous and parking in many places is awful. Public transport isn’t great and is expensive. House prices can be very expensive in the more sought after areas. Bike theft seems to be endemic. The city centre can be a bit grim with drunks at the weekend (there again which centre doesn’t suffer from this). Secondary education in state schools has been very poor overall, though many of the underperforming schools seem to have become academies in the last couple of years, and there is also a disproportionate number of public schools.

ransos
    Free Member

Small enough for easy access to great road and MTB riding, big enough for all the attractions of a proper city. I love it here.

FuzzyWuzzy

Philby’s post sums it up for me to. I’m not sure I’d describe Bristol as ‘amazing’, not by a long way but compared with other cities it’s probably about as good as you can get if access to decent MTBing is high on your priority list.

Stoner
    Free Member

The only UK city mrs S and I would consider living in now.
    We’re not far away, only about an hour, so I go fairly regularly and love it.

I might have a visit here, the national build store while I’m down. Is it worth it?

It’s interesting but I didnt really apply any of the materials on show to my build, but it was useful to know they existed.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 187 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about life in and around Bristol.’ is closed to new replies.