Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Talk to me about hub motor kits
  • dirkpitt74

Following on from my previous New Trike Day thread and the discussion about adding a motor assist etc. I think it’s time to explore it.

So instead of paying the £2.5k for the ‘official’ Mountain Trike kit – which with facing redundancy is out of the question – I reckon I can do it for about £500.

So looking at 12″ hub motor kits similar to This 36v 250W kit and this 36v battery pack.

One question I have is the battery connection – looks like a 3 pin kettle lead connection?

The power input to the motor/controller looks like a straight forward pos & neg connection.

The ‘3 phase’ connection looks to be from the motor to the controller and assume this is the pole outputs from the motor?

So what do we think?

Am I missing anything?

dirkpitt74

Anyone??

tjagain

The link to aliexpress – personally I would be sceptical and I would want one from a UK supplier even it it cost a premium. My second thought is that putting it in the rear wheel of that trike will it not try to go to full lock instantly? It looks like it would do from the pictures

dirkpitt74

Thanks, would probably not get it from AliExpress but that’s the kind of kit I’m looking for.
    Shouldn’t be an issue with steering etc. as that’s the same type as the ‘official’ kit.
    Looking for a UK supplier at the moment.

jaminb
    Free Member

I used these guys for a front hub conversion of a Charge Mixer to make an electric commuter.

https://wooshbikes.co.uk/

Andy really knows his stuff and was really helpful. He fitted the kit for me.

dirkpitt74

Just figured out one of the reasons the Mountain Trike kit is £2.5k – you need the replacement rear swing arm as the current one only has 90mm spacing on the forks – smallest hub motor I can find is 100mm fork spacing………. arse!

tjagain

Speak to Ben at kinetics in Glasgow. This sort of thing is his niche. Odd bikes and fitting electric kits

ibnchris

Have you looked at Swytch already?

Home

dirkpitt74

Thanks all – Dropped Kinetics and Woosh an email.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about hub motor kits’ is closed to new replies.