• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by P20.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Talk to me about Home CCTV…Nest and the like
  • smogmonster

Anyone got a good quality home CCTV system setup, the sort you can view remotely on your phone etc, and that will record the images. I see the Nest ones look very swish, but the subscription for the cloud service seems a little steep. I want an outdoor camera for the rear garden/garage door, and an indoor one for the front room.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Asks for *Ton to the forum!*

andysredmini
    Free Member

I wanted a nest one to go with my thermostat. That was until I saw the subscription charge and that’s per camera. A bloke at work just bought a ring stick up one and it looks pretty good. The cloud is a lot cheaper too.

ton

about £450 for a 4 camera system. camera’s are hd or analogue.
    2.8/12 zoom. 1 tb hardrive. 100m cable and fittings included.

quick downlode app and scan for android.

smogmonster

Ton, do you install these? It would be for a house im in the process of buying near Darlington. Do they do night vision IR? DO you have a link so i can have a look?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

I’ll tell you something: make sure it’s secure and not acessable online, and/or not participating in a IoS botnet 😛

ton

smogmonster, i only sell them.
    they do have IR.
    they are straight forward to fit. the hardest thing being hiding the cables out of the way.

we sell this range.

http://maxcctv.com/product-category/maxdvrs

mashiehood
    Free Member

i have a reolink monitoring the driveway and for the last 10 months has worked without fails. App on phone, records on an internal card so so simple to install and setup

rone

Arlo has been great for me if you need a wireless system with free cloud storage, night vision and app etc.

Downsides? Batteries every 5-6 months and range could be limiting. But they’re robust and sender quality.

I think there may be a wired one too now.

DT78
    Free Member

very interested in this too, as I was burgled 2 weeks ago, I know the cameras wouldn’t have stopped them smashing their way through my window but it would have meant more chance the scrotes would be caught

footflaps

I wanted a nest one to go with my thermostat. That was until I saw the subscription charge and that’s per camera.

Yep I looked at that and the Cloud fee was extortionate, charging over £100/year for $2 worth of cloud space on AWS

winrya
    Free Member

Installed an arlo system the weekend. Really impressed so far. Excellent quality and sends me a notification every time the system is activated.

jimdubleyou

+1 for Arlo.

5 or less cameras and it’s subscription free.

CHB

If you have an old iPhone (who doesn’t) then check out an app called “Manything”. I am using it at the moment and the free version is pretty usable as realtime monitoring using an old phone as an IP camera. Also many NAS servers have IP camera software built in. There are also many stand alone systems. I have a slightly aged analogue Swann system with 4 cameras, but newer IP systems are what I would go for now.

rone

very interested in this too, as I was burgled 2 weeks ago, I know the cameras wouldn’t have stopped them smashing their way through my window but it would have meant more chance the scrotes would be caught

You never know. I’ve got the arlo cameras visible and out of the way, along with stickers – they may never have bothered.

I’ve not had any returns to my property since putting the cameras up. This is 12 months ago. I know that’s not really conclusive but if you do something visible now it looks like you’ve reacted to the incident. This in itself may make them think twice

dirksdiggler
    Free Member

My issue with these cloud based systems is that if you knock out the wifi (or power), the system is useless.
    Being that my cable box is on the outside wall of my house, its not a long stretch to disable my internet conectivity by unscrewing a coax cable before kicking my door in.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I’ve got the Nest Cam but there’s no way I’d pay for the overpriced cloud storage, I mainly use it to keep an eye on what the dog’s up to while I’m at work.

rone

My issue with these cloud based systems is that if you knock out the wifi (or power), the system is useless.
    Being that my cable box is on the outside wall of my house, its not a long stretch to disable my internet conectivity by unscrewing a coax cable before kicking my door in

If your camera has been put in the right location surely you would have already been alerted and had some footage committed to the cloud by the time they get to your wiring.

Second if they’re going to go to that trouble they could easily remove the wiring of a regular CCTV system.

ton

camera’s should be placed where people can see them. along with a warning cctv sign.
    they do work as a deterant. crims dont like to be seen. less so filmed.

P20

Something we are thinking about for our new place. Will have a look at that link. Cheers Ton

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Home CCTV…Nest and the like’ is closed to new replies.