Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 305 total)
  • Talk to me about Electric Cars please
  • Drac

Hmmm! And Ford too as well as VAG so that’s quite a lot of cars.

GrahamS

If the charging network doesn’t eventually sort itself out then government will eventually need to step in and regulate.

e.g. Think back to the bad old days of mobile phone chargers before the EU legislation forced companies to adopt common USB standards. I think that is probably where we are now.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

That’s what swedishmetal’s mate is on about I reckon. So, it’s not a closed network, but outsiders pay a premium.

You can look it up on Audi website, looks like Audi only to me but I didn’t delve too far.

Maybe there will be 2 tiers of EV charging in the end. Fancy expensive cars will get their own network where they can charge quickly and widely and normal cars will scrat around for facilities and be at the mercy of hundreds of small charging companies trying to harvest data and screw people out of as much money as possible. 😂😂

Drac

Audi have partnered with other manufacturers and Shell to form Ionity, a joint venture to create a European high–power charging network. By the end of 2020, Ionity will have installed more than 400 high-performance stations across Europe; 40 stations are currently planned for the UK with more to follow. Initially located along major motorways, Ionity stations will have the capability to charge at an output of up to 350kW – a significant boost to charging times achieved by current electric charging stations. For the Audi e-tron, it means the battery can be recharged to 80% in under 30 minutes and within 50 minutes for a full charge**.

Definitely says other manufacturers.

Del

Maybe there will be 2 tiers of EV charging in the end. Fancy expensive cars will get their own network where they can charge quickly and widely and normal cars will scrat around for facilities and be at the mercy of hundreds of small charging companies trying to harvest data and screw people out of as much money as possible

Or maybe we’ll end up with petrol stations adding charging as another string to their bow, and being as ubiquitous, if not more so, as they are now.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Fancy expensive cars will get their own network where they can charge quickly and widely and normal cars will scrat around for facilities and be at the mercy of hundreds of small charging companies trying to harvest data and screw people out of as much money as possible.

Sounds like something from Black Mirror. *dislikes*

Or maybe we’ll end up with petrol stations adding charging as another string to their bow, and being as ubiquitous, if not more so, as they are now.

Maybe, but you would think a common plug standard would be easy enough.

The Gulf in town has a charger so it’s already a thing.

trail_rat
    Free Member

can you imagine the spark potential from your car in a petrol station given how dangerous* your mobile phone is…..

*i know its a myth – i know the danger is the distraction but still ….. sparky.

Drac

Maybe, but you would think a common plug standard would be easy enough.

Indeed most are starting to use CCS now.

squirrelking
    Free Member

How handy, the vast majority of chargers around here are Type 2. 22kw at that, some as low as 7.

Drac

How handy, the vast majority of chargers around here are Type 2. 22kw at that, some as low as

Yeah most around here have Type 2 minimum a few have others, type 2 fits ccs chargers.

Edukator
    Free Member

If you are in a place with a vast majority of 18-22 kW type 2 chargers (I am) check out the rating of the car’s onboard charger. Peugeot brags about its Peugeot 208’s ability to fast charge at 100kW through the euro-combo plug but forgets to say that there are very few euro-combo chargers and next to none rated 100KW. And most important the Peugeot’s onboard charger is only rated 7kW, so you can only draw 7kW from a type 2 charger even if it’s rated higher. The Leaf has the same problem, it can charge at 50kW with a CHAdeMO but only 6.6kW on the more common type 2 chargers.

The Zoé can charge at 50kW on euro-combo (I wouldn’t want to charge faster as it would reduce battery life) and has a 22kW on-board charger that can make full use of 18-22kW type 2 chargers.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

can you imagine the spark potential from your car in a petrol station given how dangerous* your mobile phone is…..

*i know its a myth – i know the danger is the distraction but still ….. sparky.

I expect you’re joking but It’s a none issue, the pumps and screens are powered by electric in every petrol pump for gawd sake, as are a dozen other items dotted around the forecourt.

squirrelking
    Free Member

Difference being they will most likely be intrinsically safe.

Drac

Difference being they will most likely be intrinsically safe.

Just like mobiles.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

There’s already loads being installed in petrol stations anyhow, so it clearly isn’t considered an issue beyond the usual HSE stuff and Petroleum regulations.

Frankers
    Free Member

I wanted to get a Tesla 3 long range for my next company car, but couldn’t get the numbers to work to convince my boss. £200 a month extra lease cost over current car, which outweighed the monthly saving in fuel.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I wanted to get a Tesla 3 long range for my next company car, but couldn’t get the numbers to work to convince my boss. £200 a month extra lease cost over current car, which outweighed the monthly saving in fuel.

If you have to pay for fuel on personal miles, What about your BIK saving from 1 April as well, how much would that save you per month personally in total? Is it worth paying the diff to become a Tesla Tosser? (BillOddie’s phrase on page 1, not mine)

catfood
    Free Member

I was told that garages don’t like you using your mobile in case you drop it and create a spark, nothing to do with the device being safe, this may of course be nonsense.

Clover

We don’t do a lot of local miles but we do long trips with bikes so it had to be a Tesla Model 3 with towbar for bike rack. I had to accept it was going to cost more than owning a 10 year old Fiat Doblo but I couldn’t be the person on a bike who hates being overtaken by diesel fume spewing cars and also drive a diesel.

A few years ago I did a trip in Nissan eNV200 so I thought I was prepared for charging (ie an inevitable nightmare involving frequent calls to helplines to reboot barely used chargers etc). You have to give it to Tesla though, their network is flawless – the car tells you when and where to charge, how many stalls are available and how long you need to charge for. I’m in awe – I’ve never actually liked owning a car but I’m embarrassed to say that I love my Tesla. We’ve done two 1,000 mile trips to France for about £60 each charge costs so a bit of the monthly payment is offset.

As for access to charging networks – I see both sides. Tesla charging is super fast and well set up so that as soon as you’re full you get a text to move your car – plus you get charged if you leave it. No one else does that at the moment hence plug in hybrids camping out on EV charge points all day long. There will have to be some planning around fast charge points (which actually take a few hours to charge) where you might not want to bump people off them (no shopping centre wants to encourage people to leave rapidly for instance) and rapid chargers (less than an hour to fill) where you do need to enforce moving on so that no one turning up with a low battery is stuck waiting an indeterminate length of time.

Right now we’ve just got a 3 pin plug at home and the local Lidl has a rapid podpoint if we’re ever in a hurry. By the summer we’ll have a Zappi so we can charge from our solar.

Daffy

Drac

Subscriber
    SUV style may be the answer I’m trying to resist the E-Tron 50 offer that popped up this week, it’s affordable on the deal they’re offering but delivery a little too early for me.

The e-tron is everything that’s wrong with EVs. 2.7 tonnes and a 71kWh battery to do 186 miles in favourable conditions.

Drac

The e-tron is everything that’s wrong with EVs. 2.7 tonnes and a 71kWh battery to do 186 miles in favourable conditions.

Well not really it’s just one that is an SUV style there are others which are city cars, family hatchbacks and saloons. I’m not sure an example of one is all that is wrong with them.

GrahamS

You have to give it to Tesla though, their network is flawless

Tesla do seem to have realised the importance of the network that other ICE manufacturers haven’t.

Strikes me as as a very Apple-style pay a premium but “It Just Works” approach.

I was struck by the same thought when I went to the Tesla shop in Edinburgh. It wasn’t a garage or a showroom: it was much more like an Apple Store. Shiny, minimalist, brightly lit store, sat between other normal shops, with two Teslas and a Powerwall on display, demo videos playing on the walls and “Geniuses” answering questions.

If I had money to invest I’d be chucking it their way!

v8ninety

Still with the obsession about charging points. Who does more than 150-200 miles a day regularly without returning to home?

You sir?

Get a diesel.

The rest of us?

An EV suits, unless you can’t charge at home. In which case get a little petrol car, an EV would be a faff.

(I’d like an estate too, mind you, or even better, a pickup that doesn’t look like it’s straight out of an 80’s arcade game)

traildog
    Free Member

This is a lot of pages about a 12 mile commute. Did anyone point out that an ebike would be the best bet for such a journey? 🙂

teethgrinder

@GrahamS
    A mate with a Leaf confirms the ChargeYourCar thing in that car park, though he thinks there is a PAYG option in the app

kerley
    Free Member

Still with the obsession about charging points. Who does more than 150-200 miles a day regularly without returning to home?
    You sir?
    Get a diesel.
    The rest of us?

Exactly. The people who ‘need’ to drive 200 miles a day must be in the <1% range. Majority of people can just charge overnight every few days (realise those in blocks of flats have a different challenge but again that is not the majority of people)

v8ninety

Majority of people can just charge overnight every few days

Just plug it in whenever you get home. Timer set for stupid cheap rate midnight – 4am-ish. Job jobbed; it’s really not a hard concept. Who would need a 500 mile fuel tank if you had a petrol station (or even a refinery, as an analogy for those lucky enough to have solar panels) on your drive?

How many people need 7 days battery life on their mobiles ‘just in case they go on holiday and there are no convenient plugs?’

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Just plug it in whenever you get home. Timer set for stupid cheap rate midnight – 4am-ish. Job jobbed;

These are my Agile prices tonight, less than 1ppkwh 02.00-05.30. I even get paid to use lecky at one point

Frankers
    Free Member

B.A.Nana

If you have to pay for fuel on personal miles, What about your BIK saving from 1 April as well, how much would that save you per month personally in total? Is it worth paying the diff to become a Tesla Tosser? (BillOddie’s phrase on page 1, not mine)

Yes I’ve thought about salary sacrifice to cover the extra cost, though the Tesla 3 is a bit of a compromise in other areas like size and range.

devbrix
    Free Member

My experience is the current charging infrastructure is too hit and miss and ranges not great enough to be reliant on just a non-Tesla EV at the moment. Non-Tesla EVs are great if your travelling circumstances are just right. A 40kwh Zoe does work perfectly for my commute – a 60 mile round trip which gives me spare capacity if I need it that day (I rarely have to use the car during my working day). I can stick it on the free 7kw charger at the park and ride (which I use to avoid the exorbitant car parking charges and the fight for any spaces at work and I really enjoy the short bike ride across the city everyday). The only problem is occasionally other EVs get on the chargers first but I’ve got more than enough spare capacity for that not to be a problem to get home and I just plug it in overnight there on the granny cable.
    For longer trips I really have to have an ICE but am now starting to think about at a Tesla 3 to replace that later in the year if the money works for me personally. Their charging infrastructure being the game changer to get over the mess of the rest of the charging infrastructure. Makes me wince at the thought of taking the Zoe on a really long journey – would take a lot of planning, coffee breaks and crossing of fingers.

Edukator
    Free Member

I can stick it on the free 7kw charger at the park and ride (which I use to avoid the exorbitant car parking charges and the fight for any spaces at work and I really enjoy the short bike ride across the city everyday). The only problem is occasionally other EVs get on the chargers first but I’ve got more than enough spare capacity for that not to be a problem to get home and I just plug it in overnight there on the granny cable.

This is a major problem for EV owners trying to do long distances – local EV drivers squatting the charge point for the free parking and or free electricity. It would be better if the parking were still payable and the electricity cost at least 10% more than charging at home in the day. The parking place also needs to be the most inconveniently placed parking space to discourage ICE vehicle owners from squatting it.

But try taking you Zoé on a long trip, Devbrix. That way you’ll never again squatt a charge point you don’t strcitly need.

devbrix
    Free Member

Totally agree Edukator, that’s my point really, the non-Tesla charging network is a shambles and you can only make it work if your particular travel circumstances fit.

Dangerboy
    Free Member

I lusted after an i3s but have gone for a Kia eNiro through the salary sacrifice scheme.
    Looking to switch to a more appropriate electricity tariff.
    Anything better than Octopus Go?
    If not, does anyone have a referral code to share?
    We’ll each get £50 credit…

littledave
    Free Member

@Dangerboy. I am on Octopus Go since I got an EV. Very good experience and I like what Octopus do as a business, seems very forward looking.

I can provide a referral code if I can work out how the PM system works..

Dave

Dangerboy
    Free Member

@littledave – thank you 😀

Edukator
    Free Member

I lusted after an i3s but have gone for a Kia eNiro

You won’t regret the extra 140km and extra space.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Dangerboy, Octopus Agile is worth considering, depends how nerdy you want to get. For it to be really effective with your car you need an Ohme or zappi EV charger (might be others) or an Ohme cable with an untethered EV charger.

luket

As an EV owner I feel I should comment on a few points raised on this thread…

(apologies, I haven’t read every post)

Charging speed

Try timing yourself from the moment you park to when you get back to your car next time you stop at a motorway services on a long journey for a rest, a pee, to buy a pint of milk and drink a cuppa. You might be surprised. For me this stop is enough to add 50 odd miles to my battery easily and if I need more it’s more than taken up by wolfing down a quick lunch, or spending a few minutes catching up with a few emails. My view: it’s an inconvenience if you want EVs to be an inconvenience, or if you go out of range very often. With modest forward planning it’s of little concern. Little enough forward planning you can do it on the way.

You start every day full so remember that this event only happens on the days you go out of range, which are fairly rare for most. And the charge you need to add is just enough to finish your day. Rarely near a full charge. The time to a full charge is not a number that affects your life on a daily basis, unless you bought the wrong car or can’t charge at home.

Overall I reckon I use public charge points for about the same amount of time in the year as I spent before at petrol stations filling up. Maybe a bit more but not much. However that time is spent working, or having a cuppa or shopping or walking the dog, not in the cold with a smelly diesel pump in my hand. I know what I’d rather be doing…

I don’t have a dedicated charge point at home, although I intend to get one, and this doesn’t matter that much. A 3 pin plug is slow though, at 10a (NB a UK 3 pin plug won’t take a sustained 13a, car chargers are set to 10a for 3 pin). 16a “commando” blue socket better, 32a better still, but any of them will charge most cars overnight, when you didn’t want to drive the car anyway.

That Harry video is mostly quite fair IMO, but his signing off comparison of miles added per hour charging vs miles added per hour filling a conventional car is idiotic, unless either he can fill his range rover up while he’s asleep, or he drives his car so constantly that he never sleeps.

Overall, a little mindset shift you need on a long journey is that you don’t tend to run the battery low then charge it up. What you tend to do is plug your car in because you’ve stopped. You charge at your breaks, rather than breaking for a charge. For this reason (and others) the fear of a diversion getting you in a mess is not a practical reality unless you want to make a point of it.

Charging plug compatibility

Different manufacturers using different sockets is technically true but has ceased to be an issue of much note, as I understand it. Vast majority of cars use type 2 and ccs nowadays, and I’ve yet to see a charge location that doesn’t suit these. Regardless, you’d use zapmap or similar to choose where to charge, and that gives you all the info you need.

Published range

The way I drive it my car doesn’t give me the published range either. Of course it bloody doesn’t. Just like none of my previous cars gave the published mpg from the same test. The difference in percentage terms is similar, perhaps a bit better with the EV. Winter is materially worse than summer, which was true with internal combustion too, but less noticeable.

Using the heater sensibly, ie by someone who grasps what a thermostat does, isn’t a big deal. If you’re really worried about this warm your car for 10 mins while it’s plugged in before the long journey, which will ease the effect on range.

Surprise surprise, not all EVs are equal. Tarring them all with that Harry fellow’s 440wh/mile at 74mph is like saying all internal combustion engine cars drink fuel like a range rover. Don’t spend your life moving air out the way with an SUV if you want sensible energy consumption. Charging speed is if course affected the same – if you car does less miles per kwh, it’ll charge at less miles per minute.

Public charging access

Different charge points use different methods of paying. App, membership, card or contactless payment. This is a bit of a pain. Roll on the day they all see the light and take contactless payment and charge per kwh. And there are more of them, and they’re faster. Some of the faster ones are silly money, but still not petrol money and you’ll use them hardly ever, so they probably won’t affect your overall costs materially.

So this provision is a bit crap in the UK (except tesla), and I don’t think Harry is wrong on it, but you probably won’t use it much. If you will, then as things stand it could cause you a problem, but hopefully this will improve soon. Buy a car with enough range to cover your normal day, and some.

Having off street parking…

… affects all the above convenience points. Obviously. You need to be able to charge at home overnight somehow or you will be inconvenienced in a fairly big way. Good on you if you still go for an EV of course, but it takes away the convenience benefit.

Assuming you have off street parking you also won’t be interested in public charge points near home of course.

Emissions

Add up the emissions associated with extracting, refining, transporting and burning fuel on one side vs lifecycle uk electricity emissions plus grid and charging losses on the other side. Incorporate manufacturing emissions as well. You’ll probably conclude a good 3x the emissions for internal combustion over electric for an otherwise similar car over its life. On this alone I felt I had a personal responsibility, when the time came to replace my car, not to buy another internal combustion engine.

Costs

Yes, it’s more like for like, but at least add up all the costs, not just the purchase price. And this point is really about the new car buyer, because 2nd hand EVs mean early tech and small volumes. That’ll change. How much more expensive can you handle for a significant (some would say massive) reduction in environmental impact? If your answer is nil, you’re basically Donald Trump 😉

Edukator
    Free Member

I don’t have a dedicated charge point at home, although I intend to get one, and this doesn’t matter that much. A 3 pin plug is slow though, at 10a (NB a UK 3 pin plug won’t take a sustained 13a, car chargers are set to 10a for 3 pin). 16a “commando” blue socket better, 32a better still, but any of them will charge most cars overnight, when you didn’t want to drive the car anyway.

The charge time for the Zoé at 10A on a normal socket is 29h 34mins, that’s hardly overnight and its a small car. A 16A greenup is the minimum you need at home, and unless you have a public charger that is always free just up the road, a 7kW a very good idea..

Charging at 10A is a really bad idea especially in hot weather, so much goes into battery cooling a smaller proportion gets into the battery. I know this from experience after charging at 10A in hot weather – A heat pump that takes about 1kW halves a 2kW charge rate but only reduces a 7kW charge rate by 1/7.

luket

The charge time for the Zoé at 10A on a normal socket is 29h 34mins, that’s hardly overnight and its a small car. A 16A greenup is the minimum you need at home, and unless you have a public charger that is always free just up the road, a 7kW a very good idea..

Fair enough. I suppose what I meant was that even on 10A you can add 100 miles overnight, which does most people’s normal day or tops up a moderately discharged battery, which is probably the most common situation at the end of the day. When I got my car I already had a 16a socket and it wasn’t til I’d done 10k miles that I got round to getting an adapter to fit my 32a (7kw) socket. At that point I pretty much forgot about charging time at home, but most days I was already timing charge for midnight to 7am for min grid carbon intensity on 16a, so I was getting my daily usage out of modest charging kit/time.

Also notable that charging losses are higher on lower currents. 29.5 hours means nearly 30% charging losses for a 50kwh zoe if my maths is right. My experience was nowhere near as bad but on 32a I get c.10%.

Edit: seen your extra paragraph now. I haven’t experienced the cooling issue to any great extent – how big a deal is it in the UK climate?

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 305 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Electric Cars please’ is closed to new replies.