Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 305 total)
  • Talk to me about Electric Cars please
  • simon_g

iPace is only a little wider and taller than the Model 3. The Model X is much bigger in every dimension and still manages 34kWh/100miles.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

So it takes 80% charge in less than 10 minutes?

If you’re drinking from a polabear killing thin non-recyclable paper cup that results in cold coffee in 10 minutes, no.

But the current model 3 will do it in 20-30 minutes.

And there’s already batteries in development that will halve/quater that time again.
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/2221740-electric-cars-could-charge-in-10-minutes-with-a-new-kind-of-battery/

Drac

Time for you to watch the video then.

I’m watching it now.

Harry, diesel and electric range on the dashboard varies depending on the driving, heating directed at only the seats in use is not just in electric cars, use slip roads they’re there for a reason and don’t turn into no entries. Funny how Harry only found charges that he didn’t have the app or card for, £87k is not a family car and Harry if you’re going to claim no one is using the Tesla chargers don’t pan the camera to show they are. Oh and Harry, VW are just one company investing in charging networks best do some research.

Yes the charging network needs addressed that’ll come but it’s nothing as bad as he makes it out.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Even if I have an EV and charge it at home I can’t rely on an EV car for emergency response which all my colleagues are on as we have to go to a wide range of places sometimes a fair way away. We simply can’t be waiting an hour for a battery charge when we are heading out to an incident.

And your niche occasional use is relavent to the OP’s 12 mile commute in what way?

andytherocketeer

For me the main thing Harry was trying to show was that there are at least 3 different connectors for pumping volts in to the car, and not one single unified standard.  And that they often don’t let you use anonymous contactless but rely on you being a registered user with the app for that provider.

Even if I had a preferred fuel brand and loyalty card, I can still use any pump from any brand, and there’s a single nozzle standard on every single pump that will work without me needing to stop and download another app and register, and also, not need to use an app to see which pumps in the vicinity are free. That is what Ecotricity and co. need to ensure… a plug on every single charger that suits every single EV car, and always works with no need for any app or preregistration… simply plug in, say how much power (or time), and wave bank card. And if you have a loyalty card, then you get it cheaper, or collect points or whatever.

As for the mileage… when I go on the autobahn, the predicted range goes UP not down. Local driving is inefficient, motorway driving is efficient. It’s useful to be aware that at least in an iPace, motorway driving is potentially a less efficicent way of using those volts and amps. And 69 on cruise control up the M4 is a perfectly valid scenario, irrespective of method of propulsion, and a pretty valid comparison imho too.

As the OP is only talking about local(ish) driving, charging at home/nearby, then practically any EV car would do surely?   And most of those concerns won’t be a concern?  And you won’t need to do research before setting out on a different journey.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Harry appears to be guilty of going out in a new tech car, that fuels by a method completely different to what he’s used to, having done no preparation, planning or research into the national charging network and then blaming everyone else except his own stupidity. He is however correct about the national network being confusing to new users, difficult to use generally and over complicated methods of payment etc. It needs sorting out.

Drac

As for the mileage… when I go on the autobahn, the predicted range goes UP not down.

Indeed but when you go into town it goes down not up.

Spot on B.A.nana despite having more experience than anyone on stw he couldn’t work that one thing out that took me less than half hour to research when looking into a hybrid. I’m looking further into once I decide if I’m going fully ev this time or not.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Harry appears to be guilty of going out in a new tech car, that fuels by a method completely different to what he’s used to, having done no preparation, planning or research into the national charging network

Another one not watching the video.

He had the car for a few weeks before the video.
    All the preparation in the world won’t stop you coming across broken chargers, no space at chargers etc.
    And what happens when you have to divert you route because of an accident and you do more miles than your meticulous planning suggested? You’re stuck in an area you don’t know with a rapidly dying battery.

simon_g

I kind of get what Harry was trying to do, and it should be easier. New rapid chargers have to have contactless, and almost every new car has a CCS port for rapid charging – but there’s a long tail of early cars (and chargers) out there. Polar at least have said they’ll have contactless on everything by the summer. Instavolt have always been contactless.

That Hammersmith hub was on free vend as an intro/testing thing – they wanted to get lots of charges on them, but it means anyone with time on their hands queues up to fill their cars. A petrol station giving away fuel would have quite the queue as well.

He uses a Polar card that doesn’t work (it’s not the charger failing), presumably because the subscription has lapsed, then can’t be bothered to set up the alternative.

And as for Ecotricity – they need to get out of this business and fast. Hoovered up early government grants to build a charging network then have left it to rot. At least the motorway services exclusivity agreements are starting to expire so hopefully they don’t have long left.

When I pull up at a petrol station I’m offered 4 different pumps, and given that 150,000 people choose the wrong one each year (dozens of police and ambulance crews among them), I don’t think liquid fuelling is immune to stupidity either.

swedishmetal
    Free Member

Harry if you’re going to claim no one is using the Tesla chargers don’t pan the camera to show they are

Again, watch the video. He showed the Tesla chargers as a good example of how Tesla are providing infrastructure when no other manufactures are, not as an example of how the infrastructure isn’t being used. And nearly all the chargers weren’t being used, unless there were some magical cars you could see that my perfect eyesight couldn’t. 🙄

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

He had the car for a few weeks before the video.
    All the preparation in the world won’t stop you coming across broken chargers, no space at chargers etc.
    And what happens when you have to divert you route because of an accident and you do more miles than your meticulous planning suggested? You’re stuck in an area you don’t know with a rapidly dying battery.

he hadn’t even bothered signing up to the main networks before going on a long journey, then threw his toys about because of that – was my point

Drac

Again, watch the video. He showed the Tesla chargers as a good example of how Tesla are providing infrastructure when no other manufactures are, not as an example of how the infrastructure isn’t being used. And nearly all the chargers weren’t being used, unless there were some magical cars you could see that my perfect eyesight couldn’t.

I did. Yes they have and VW as I mentioned is another investing networks. He said no one is using them they were his camera work wasn’t good enough, yes lots empty as Tesla unlike others won’t allow anyone but Tesla to use them. If Tesla allowed others to use them he could have been charging his car once Harry had worked how.

https://pod-point.com/rollout/tesco-ev-charging

andytherocketeer

he hadn’t even bothered signing up to the main networks before going on a long journey

I didn’t sign up to Esso, Mobil, Texaco, BP and Morrisons either, before I set out on a 100mi journey each way.

Didn’t need to.

Shouldn’t need to. Just plug in, and pay with standard means of card payment, and wait till it’s full.

GrahamS

For a slightly more optimistic viewpoint than Harry’s, it’s worth checking out The Fully Charged Show on YouTube

It covers electric cars as well as solar power, house batteries, etc.

e.g.

Oh and it is presented, partly, by Kryton :

Drac

Shouldn’t need to. Just plug in, and pay with standard means of card payment, and wait till it’s full.

You’re right you shouldn’t but for now it’s how it works. It would be like heading for fuel and then wondering why they don’t take your Euros for payment at U.K. petrol station.

simon_g

Didn’t need to.

These are all the places you can do that in the UK, today.

null

Drac

Excellent that’s an incredible difference to how it use to be. Poor Harry for someone with more knowledge then STW combined he’s a bit well crap.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I didn’t sign up to Esso, Mobil, Texaco, BP and Morrisons either, before I set out on a 100mi journey each way.

Didn’t need to.

100% Agreed, but the point is it isn’t like that yet and he didn’t do anything to help himself (I suspect he knew exactly what he was doing and it was all done to make the point).

Drac

Interesting all fast chargers taking debit card 3 if which are currently available

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Yep Instavolt round here are credit/debit card contactless, it’s how it should be.

simon_g

To be fair, that Polar is right off the motorway so it’s the convenient option. Only one of those (the Engenie at the top) has contactless at the moment but the others should soon.

Drac

I filtered contactless and free to use.

I suspect he knew exactly what he was doing and it was all done to make the point).

It’s exactly what he did as I say to use the cliches that people like Swedishmetal still believe in.

Edukator
    Free Member

The new standard is Euro combo which is compatible with the old Type 2 and looks like being the future. The CHAdeMO, type 1 and type 3 look likely to lose support.

I agree that a (pan European) law is needed to make all charge points payable with a contactless credit card. (I said I agreed with Harry on this point from the outset). Over the next year I’ll be using the Zoé in at least half a dozen different countries with as many different languages and no doubt many more apps. Despite that I very much doubt I’ll ever run out, because if the worst come to the worst you can always bribe someone to let you plug the car in somewhere.

Are you in Germany, Andy? It’s a proper pain there. Anything free is squatted by Merc hybrids for the free parking and there are something like 80 different charge point cards/apps.

Drac

because if the worst come to the worst you can always bribe someone to let you plug the car in somewhere.

I’ve used my Charge your car card for others to charge their car on when they’ve asked if I knew how it worked. After scanning my card I’ve explained how to get a card or app.

simon_g

Drac, “free to use” on zapmap just means no session or per-kWh costs – you still need a card or app to start the charge. All the Chargeplace Scotland stuff is like that.

GrahamS

if the worst come to the worst you can always bribe someone to let you plug the car in somewhere.

I believe https://www.plugshare.com/ will show you people’s residential chargers that they are happy for others to use.

Drac

Drac, “free to use” on zapmap just means no session or per-kWh costs – you still need a card or app to start the charge. All the Chargeplace Scotland stuff is like that.

Oh aye good point as our local ones are free in the public car parks. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Having now unticked that it seems I’d accidentally unticked debit card option so indeed you are right there’s just the one.

I believe https://www.plugshare.com/ will show you people’s residential chargers that they are happy for others to use.

A big uptake on that too since I last looked, why can’t Morrison’s, BP and Esso do that with diesel if you forgot your wallet?

andytherocketeer

Are you in Germany, Andy? It’s a proper pain there.

Yup and yup.

I think we have chargers for 4 parking spaces in a 6 storey carpark at work (would have to check the exact number, cos I never park on that floor).

There are 2 in the street outside work (well the other end of the street, but close enough). Always in use. Same car every single morning when I go past. Even if I could use those, I couldn’t, cos I can’t always guarantee getting out of a meeting to go move it. I guess there must be some kind of “etiquette”?  There are a handful of other 1-2 charger points around town now., and similarly, I’ve never seen them empty.

There are more and more gradually appearing at autobahn services, but I wouldn’t call it a massive number. UK is definitely ahead there in terms of numbers of chargers (ignoring requirements for registering with every provider, etc.)

Last time I checked an app (well the website), there were a few chargers in Q-Park (one of which was 8 chargers, but only open 8am-8pm working days), and a 60km round trip to the nearest Tesla charger!

Of course it’s getting better, and clearly there are a lot of EV.  It’s just not quite there yet.  And I think that was the point Harry was trying to make.

ajaj
    Free Member

You’re right you shouldn’t but for now it’s how it works.

Seems like a valid criticism then.

It would be like heading for fuel and then wondering why they don’t take your Euros for payment at U.K. petrol station.

Not really because everyone in the UK takes pounds, it’s normal and written into law. Whereas having to sign up for an app brings with it a whole load of other issues.

Drac

Seems like a valid criticism then.

Which everyone has agreed on but not on his mellow dramatics on how hard is to find a charger you can use.

Not really because everyone in the UK takes pounds, it’s normal and written into law.

Yeah you’ve missed my point and added a bit of drama to it.

Whereas having to sign up for an app brings with it a whole load of other issues.

Like Apple Pay so I don’t have to take pounds, despite what the law states.

maxtorque

I’ve driven an EV for 3.5 years.

It’s been charged away from home exactly zero times……….

cynic-al
    Free Member

I N R A T S but SH Renault if the status isn’t important.

Edukator
    Free Member

It’s been charged away from home exactly zero times……

I which case your BMW i3 is the hybrid range extender version, you’ve got another car or you’ve never driven more than 65 miles from home. 🙂

garlando

Wife has just bought a leaf. Could someone help us out with what home charge point to get?

Much appreciated

trail_rat
    Free Member

Like Apple Pay so I don’t have to take pounds, despite what the law states.

Can you be temporary custodian of an electric car without owning an over priced phone?

How would you find charging points.

They seem to be in the oddest of places once you get out of the city’s

Drac

Probably find a Nokia 3310 on eBay.

How would you find charging points.

They seem to be in the oddest of places once you get out of the city’s

Zap-map, you usually find them in car parks which is a very odd place to put them.

Wife has just bought a leaf. Could someone help us out with what home charge point to get?

Podpoint use to be the generic reply but I think there was another last time someone asked.

garlando

Thanks Drac, They look good.

littledave
    Free Member

Hi Garlando,
    If you have solar PV or plan to do so then investigate the Myenergi Zappi.
    We have been using one for nearly a year.
    Very good, charges from solar panels or can be programmed to charge overnight if you have a tarrif with cheap rates at certain times.
    Be aware that chargers now need to be ‘smart’ to qualify for grant funding.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

She needs to decide if she wants tethered or untethered, tethered is most straightforward I expect, untethered is usually cheapest option (you provide the cable which should come with your car, you may have to remove it from the charger every time tho so it doesn’t get nicked, which makes it a faff for many people).
    Rolec are quite cheap and loads of people have them incl me (untethered).
    If I had the option again I think an Ohme charger is a good blend of price and tech. I’ve bought an Ohme cable for the Rolec as they were half price from Octopus Energy. a lot of EV users are on Octopus Go tariif or Octopus Agile, the ohme cable works with the Octopus Agile tariff to make your charging as cheap as possible, which is why I’ve bought the Ohme cable.
    Otherwise there are loads out there some examples here https://www.smarthomecharge.co.uk/vehicles/nissan/nissan-leaf/

you need to be aware of the gov grant, as above

rone

It’s been charged away from home exactly zero times………

Same here. It’s called purchasing the vehicle appropriate to your lifestyle.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 305 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about Electric Cars please’ is closed to new replies.