Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Talk to me about dropper posts…….
  • Simon

I’m going to buy a dropper post of some sort in the next couple of months ready for some Enduro racing and the Mega Avalanche.
    Needs to be 27.2mm dia and reliable.
    Top of the list is a Gravity Dropper Turbo Multi, anything else I should be looking at? What are your experiences with dropper posts, good and bad.

steezysix
    Free Member

X-fusion Hilo should be on your list.

mandog

Gravity Dropper – reliable and easy to service. Excellent customer service also direct with the US from the UK.

Simon

I looked at the X-Fusion Hilo, but one of the reviews I read said they had problems with the remote switch sticking. The only time I’ve used a dropper post (can’t remember what it was), it had the lever under the saddle, I didn’t like taking a hand off the bars to drop the post just when I needed to be in full control of the bike! So if I buy one it needs a reliable bar mounted switch.

NormalMan

Sorry to jump in but I am also looking at the hilo. I only have seen one review and it mentioned a fair amount of lateral movement. Anyone with one of these confirm or deny this?

Northwind

Gravity Dropper- the original and still one of the best. Still nothing else is as reliable.

Though… Are you sure you want the multi-drop? It weakens the seatpost quite a bit, and I never used it- you might, but if you don’t then it’s just a weakness.

steveh

Gravity dropper turbo, snapped it twice in 6 months then got rid. The second time it failed at the 1″ drop hole. The importer repaired both times FOC but the second time just said yeah that happens you can’t really use that position.

Probably should say I’m 5’8 and about 11 stone with kit. I wouldn’t!

Simon

Sounds like the multi should be avoided!
    What do you use now Steve?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

I’ve had a GD 3+1 for about 4 years.

Dead simple piece of kit. I replaced the springs in the release mechanism last year, as they had corroded after 3 years of all year Peaks riding. That cost me £5 delivered from US.

Otherwise no problems. A quick easy service (i.e. clean and oil) once a year, and all is well.

Great fast service from GD too.

Northwind

Ah- only thing I’ll say about the multi, is that it’s only one component that’s different so dead easy to change to multi or away from multi. Costs around £20 IIRC.

Simon

I see you can get an I-Beam head for them too……interesting. More plus points for the GD.

HermanShake
    Free Member

I found the multi quite useful, 1″ down from full extension was used a lot on my local trails and then all the way down for the obvious.

They’re quite tough, how badly are you expecting to treat it?

I had to sell mine to get a Joplin to afford the frame I just bought (I know, I know). Going from remote to lever is a bit weird. Go remote! It looks like I’m tickling the kids each time I adjust my post 😳

I don’t know about their durability but Rase posts have a whopping 9″ of travel 😯

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about dropper posts…….’ is closed to new replies.