Talk to me about 29er AM wheelsets – American Classic, E13 etc

Home Forum Bike Forum Talk to me about 29er AM wheelsets – American Classic, E13 etc

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Talk to me about 29er AM wheelsets – American Classic, E13 etc
  • Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

Took my new bike for it’s first outing today, less than 10 miles and the Superstar Tesla rear hub let go leaving me with a long walk home. It will be returned to SS but next time it fails (and if they don’t even last one ride I’m sure it’s when not if) I’ll be getting a refund.

So I’m looking at replacements, which is a shame as I loved the colour of the Teslas, nice sound and quick engagement too. Obvious choice is Pro 2 on Arch Ex or maybe Pacenti TL28 which is what I’ve got now, American Classic AM look good other than the minging graphics and the colour clash with my bike, seen them for £425 though. Really liking the look of the E13 TRS+ which I’ve seen for £750 but that is still a hell of a lot of money for a pair of wheels, way in excess of what I’ve spent in the past. Anyone running a set of these?

Any opinions/suggestions appreciated, ta.

Premier Icon Nipper99
    Subscriber

i have a pair of ac all mountain 29ers and am really impressed. have had them on my gryphon for about 12 / 18 months and they have been bombproof, still true and hubs running as new.

big_n_daft

there is a Tesla thread on here somewhere I suggest you put something on that.

My experience has been goods so far with DL31 rims

sambob

I’ve just got some Arch EX on Pro2 from Moonglu and they seem good, light for the supposed strength and a piece of cake to set up tubeless.

Premier Icon davosaurusrex
    Subscriber

big n daft – review added. How long have you been running yours for? How much do you weigh and what sort of riding do you do?

sambob – cheers, how much did they cost you? Almost the default choice I’d have said, certainly the safe choice.

sambob

350, but they’ll be out as a Hope Hoop very shortly so I’d wait for them. Getting them from 18 Bikes gets you free tubeless tape and valves too if you’re that way inclined.

Subscriber

Bump for the not doing much work because it’s Friday crowd

Premier Icon big_scot_nanny
    Subscriber

*waves* 😀

I have the previous generation of 29er AM wheelset. 20mm front, QR rear. So, comments might not be valid. Used for 2 years now.

More a heavy XC than an AM rim, hubs seem great, getting a bit louder now but still much quieter than proII. Love the red spoke.

Rims could not hold 2.5 Dissent tyres, they popped off. 2.4 Ardents are OK, but very round profile.

Had major issues getting them to fit into RS Reba 20mm dropouts, had to file away a bit of the magnesium lowers where the axle sits to get the maxle through. Very odd. AC importers and Charlie the BM were excellent throughout.

Apart from those initial teething issues, they have been utterly fit and forget since then. (cue rim and hub explosion tomorrow…)

Kev

big_n_daft

big n daft – review added. How long have you been running yours for? How much do you weigh and what sort of riding do you do?

2-3 months

lots more than you do

on a 29er FS

local rocky trails, Nan Bield pass at New Year etc

Yetiman

I’m a big fan of Stans / Pro2 combo’s but I’m currently trying out a pair of 2011 spec Easton Haven 29er wheels that I picked up towards the end of last year when CRC were selling them off for £360. 15mm front / 135 x 12mm rear. So far I’m really pleased with them. 2.4 Ardents seal ok with some latex and the rims are a good width so wide tyres have a good profile, I think they look great and they are quite light. They have taken a fair beating in the few rides I’ve managed recently but the real test will be the longevity of the rear hub as there are supposedly some reliability issues with them, although regular checking and greasing should help. Performance wise they appear to be pretty stiff although this is my first 29er build so I have nothing to compare against, and the rear hub engages beautifully. It has a lovely light ‘whirrr’ which is music to my ears compared to the racket my Pro2 hubs make.

oomidamon

CRC are doing the 2012 Havens for £360, just looking at them myself. Can’t decide between Arch/Pro2s or these. Have ruled out Superstars following comments on here & can’t find 20mm American Classics.

Subscriber

These show 20mm as an axle option, good price too

http://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=11924

Any used this firm?

mcboo

FWIW I’ve got a set of AC Race 29ers which are as light as a feather and have to put up with me at 85-88kg. Running perfectly straight after 6 months of use, mostly XC type riding but up some big hills in Scotland too. I’m a fan.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Talk to me about 29er AM wheelsets – American Classic, E13 etc’ is closed to new replies.