Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Talk talk WiFi a bit pants, how to improve ?
  • renton
    Free Member

We have our home broadband and WiFi through talk talk and the coverage over the house is pretty dire.

I’ve got a WiFi extender on the landing but it makes no difference to the wifi strength upstairs.

I think part if the problem is that part if the house is an extension so it’s having to go through the original outside wall and it’s killing signal strength.

What are my options to boost it ?

Would an aftermarket router be any better ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Similar scenario here, though I need it in the log cabin at the end of the garden too, think I’m gonna go with a mesh system, and cat 5 out to said cabin.

dogbone

Our Virgin box struggled to get wifi coverage beyond the front room (crazy dense 1930’s semi walls). Now have 2 Google wifi mesh things and have full coverage in garage at bottom of garden. I know there are cheaper options but the Google ones were very easy to set up.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    renton
    Free Member

How do they work dogbone

leffeboy

netgear Orbi here, solved all wifi problems

How do they work dogbone

All the mesh things work on a similar idea.  They ‘talk’ to each other and work out the best way to send the traffic along the line down to the device that’s actually connected to your internet router.  Some, like the Orbi, actually run an additional wireless channel just for this traffic so that they don’t use up the bandwidth on the channels that your devices are using to connect.  The benefit of this system is that if you have a blackspot somewhere in your house you can just add another device to fill in that hole.  As long as it can see the other devices then they will work out amongst themselves the best way to connect to your router.

renton
    Free Member

Sounds interesting. Do they work off the original router ?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye.

dogbone

As above. First one plugged into back of Virgin box (living room front of house). Second one in kitchen (to rear of house). May need to get a third one when we convert attic. Took a bit of trial and error to work out where best to site second one.

rone

Mine has genuinely been fantastic for 7 years or so. Stream to upstairs no problem.

Try different routers.

rone

Which TT router have you got?

cheddarchallenged
    Free Member

Add a Bt whole home mesh system – costs £150 for 3 x nodes if you keep an eye out for deals and works extremely well. Also doesn’t require you to plug google into your home broadband.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just to clear something up. Routers are the device that route traffic between the Internet and your home network. When talking about home routers they tend to come with a modem built in that connects it to the Internet (dealing with signal from the box down the road or the exchange, which is often the cause of poor Internet speed and dropped connections, rather than WiFi signal), plus also usually come with WiFi access point built in but often aren’t very good and lack a decent antenna. Because of their design as the modem they are usually located by the phone socket which is often in the worst place in the house to create a good WiFi signal.

The WiFi part of it may be dodgy and replacing the router with something different may get you a better access point and WiFi signal, but it may introduce other issues in the routing and the modem part, plus if not from the provider will require configuration. Though might resolve issues with the Internet connection itself if there are any.

WiFi extender all depends on the kind of extender. Many are crap. Some work okay, some work well.

A good Wireless Access Point can be wired from the router to a central point or act as extender. Generally better than the little extender things that plug into a power socket. Have a look at TP-Link access points. Worth spending a bit on a decent wall or ceiling mounted one. They usually offer 5Ghz as well as 2.4Ghz. 5 is a less congested space and performs well over a short range, but it’s poor over distances. 2.4 will go further.

Mesh stuff is basically the same and access points can act in a mesh. Just allows you to use multiple ones.

Aside from that, Talk Talk are one of the worst providers in the country, so changing provider may solve a lot of problems, even if it’s just support.

deadkenny
    Free Member

Just to clear something up

Though probably made it way more confusing 😄

leffeboy

Though probably made it way more confusing

I started a post like that and then gave in 🙂 – the word router is pretty much used for everything and is confused by the fact that a mesh system probably is a router actually

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Talk talk WiFi a bit pants, how to improve ?’ is closed to new replies.