Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • *Talk me out of a Liteville 301 Please*
  • godzilla
    Free Member

I’ve been lusting after a raw Liteville 301 for a while, i have a perfectly good orange Five but i cant stop thinking about the 301, any reason not to get one? im also quite keen on the Helius AC.

dannybgoode

The top suspension link looks like a handy testicle removal device it you get your position wrong over the top tube?..

Cheers

Danny B

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

looks like it could be an interesting bike.
    Liteville 301, part 1

MSP

liteville 301 would be my first choice for 160 fork compatible frames.

wolly
    Free Member

+1 for not resting your old chap on the top tube

Shandy
    Free Member

They look really nice, are there many stockists in the UK? Aren’t they cheap from Germany?

godzilla
    Free Member

The top suspension link looks like a handy testicle removal device it you get your position wrong over the top tube?..

when i go balls out, its not literal, i had a go on one that was a size too small and my gonads never felt in the danger zone.

160 fork compatible

Thats the other bonus being able to stick 160 rockers on.

They look really nice, are there many stockists in the UK? Aren’t they cheap from Germany?

Theres a dealer just down the road, they arnt much cheaper in Germany.

Stevelol
    Free Member

They look amazing and are very light for their travel, I would like to ride one, pinkbike have a good review.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Not helping here, but do it, buy one (after trying first!)!

Saw a lad out on a 650b wheeled one last week, that was a very capable enduro bike 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Merely a point of order but liteville are made in Taiwan to German specs whereas Nicolai are made in house on Germany. Otherwise they will be pretty analogous bikes. Well maybe not so. There is a lot more design in the liteville, with lovely and very ever design touches everywhere whereas the Helius will, in my view, be better made.

The only thing that put me off the Liteville was that the 301 And the 601 were just too light for their travel for me to feel confident about them.

hora
    Free Member

I was thrown out of a shop for stripping naked a rubbing against a raw mk11. Utterly stunning…
    But how much ‘better’ is it than my bargain basement Meta5?

No.

godzilla
    Free Member

The only thing that put me off the Liteville was that the 301 And the 601 were just too light for their travel for me to feel confident about them.

This has crossed my mind, my main worry really.

Its still pretty close with the 301 and AC but i dont want to wait forever for the thing to be made.

I was thrown out of a shop for stripping naked a rubbing against a raw mk11. Utterly stunning…
    But how much ‘better’ is it than my bargain basement Meta5?

Hora just talked me out of it, not with the Meta5 bit lol. your Meta5 has zero warranty and the Liteville 10 years?

d45yth
    Free Member

I’d have either…I’d prefer the Nicolai for the custom options but it would probably be an extra £1000 (for me, as I’d wanted a custom seat tube and some other options).

godzilla
    Free Member

I’d have either…I’d prefer the Nicolai for the custom options but it would probably be an extra £1000 (for me, as I’d wanted a custom seat tube and some other options).

This is it, once you add the spec i want, plus shock headset seat clamp, its a bit rich and im into carbon money.
    I could see myself on a Mojo HD 140.

d45yth
    Free Member

Godzilla…it was a HD 140 I ended up buying! 😀

godzilla
    Free Member

I know, saw it on a friday night ride in Swaledale, looks great, is there a new one out soon?

hora
    Free Member

Godzilla it has a 2yr warranty.

Do you really think you’d be riding the same frame as your main bike in 10yrs?

If YOU have ‘coin youll be onto the next new thing/Unicorn product in a few years anyway. Only tight/poor **** ride the same frame only for ten yrs 😆

godzilla
    Free Member

Nope its doubtful that i will have it in 2yr but in two years it will still have 8 years transferable warranty left making it quite desirable.
    Im unlikely to have the cash to blow on the next new thing next year as im quitting my second job so i have more time to ride, as i say i have a good Five.
    Hopefully im never that tight/poor

barbs
    Free Member

This probably won’t help…..my new toy.

P1000341 by Magdalen734, on Flickr

d45yth
    Free Member

is there a new one out soon?

Not that I know of. Ibis are bringing out a new model or two but they’re not replacements for the HD.

andytherocketeer

Find some vids of German guys on them… most will be pretty hardcore alpine mountain descent (and ascent). None of this trail centre nonsense.

Oh and Liteville warranty is 10years, and transferable to any subsequent buyer too, unlike some other mfrs. DH and race included too.

Would like to know what the special offer is though, to people that crash their bike on car rack into garage wall etc.

Oh and if you ride with yer goolies near the shock linkage, then I think you prolly need to sort out riding position 😉

Someone please talk me out of buying a 301….

duntstick
    Free Member

2148,- EURO frame only …….. that’s me talked out of it anyway.

Mugboo

Buy it!

andytherocketeer

Frame + shock for that price (headset also included too, and all the other bits that you expect to be bundled).

But it is a bit on the steep side for an alu frame. Nice though.

hora
    Free Member

Wow shock included too. ‘Generous’ 😉

Mugboo

Truthfully, it would have to be very very good to be better for me than my Mega with a Loco tune at £760.00.

But if I was in the market for a new frame, then a Nicolai or Liteville would be at the top. Second hand though because they can’t be worth that much new.

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Am extremely pleased with my s/h Mk8. 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

Find some vids of German guys on them… most will be pretty hardcore alpine mountain descent (and ascent). None of this trail centre nonsense.

That’s true, but something just doesn’t add up. Liteville state the 301 weighs 2.5kg without shock, offers 160mm of travel and is warranted for a 180mm fork.

The Nicolai Helius AC weighs 2.9kg without shock and is only warranted for a 160mm fork.

Other 160mm bikes are similarly about half a kilo heavier and also only warranted up to 160mm forks.

So either Litville have some super strong new aluminium alloy that no one else has or radical manufacturing technique or they are willing to accept a few more returns on warranty when the frames break.

Besides pictures of it being ridden are no proof that the frame has longevity built into it.

Honestly I love them, love the look of them, love the design of them and I am sure I would love the ride of them so I am not knocking them. I am just a little wary that they’ve been built just a little too, ahem, Lite.

It wouldn’t cost anything like this much. Full custom is now, I think, £600 extra and for that you get to spec pretty much what you want within the parameters of an existing design.

Mine is full custom and the upcharge was £500.

hora
    Free Member

Mugboo it wont be better than yours. Its like handmade ti litespeeds or Sevens etc to the roadie world. It feels a self-serving niche of customers.

Mugboo

Too right Hora, after 8 years I am gaining control over the new bike itch. It helps that I have worked out what I like and the Mega is more than good enough for me, and at less than half the price 🙂

Doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the industrial look of a Nicolai though. Way better than looking than all these new fangled, hydro formed tube sets.
    I am an Hemlock owner though so maybe I’m not the best judge of looks. It proves that I value handing over looks though 😉

andytherocketeer

Certainly never heard of one snapping, although I don’t hang around the Liteville sections of the German forums (only Cotic, and local region sub-forums), so maybe some have passed me by.

Now other brands that are more common on UK shores certainly do have reputations for breaking (even if only a few frames – you only get to hear negative user reviews online).

Still tempted, but wish I’d got one when they were only €1970 inc. shock etc.

godzilla
    Free Member

There are a few of MK10’s kicking about for €1998 at Bike-components.de

Jeffus
    Free Member

I had a carpark ride of the 160mm one with 650b wheels felt nice and light for 160 travel bike , it weighed 30lb dead on, I felt the wheels turned a bit heavy but they did have a set of huge Noby Nics on, pedals quite well 😀

JohnnyPanic

Just been playing with the custom colour options on their website. It’s really rather good 🙂

gmex619
    Free Member

Do it. Itll be fun. And yoy can rent it too the local rabbi when your not riding it as a snip machine. Youll make your money back in no time. Plus it’ll get washed very well. Even sterilised for every time you want too ride.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

I had a demo on a 160 version. Amazing bike, lots of really clever touches like the chain guide. The low weight makes it very fast up and downhill. My 2012 Spicy was better downhill though, the 301 had a touch more flex which became apparent on the rocky downhills of the Lakes.

I actually pushed the button one one but then they wanted to charge £140 extra for the 160 version which they don’t tell you in any advertising so I got a bit miffed and got a Remedy instead.

gibbonarms
    Free Member

Merely a point of order but liteville are made in Taiwan to German specs

Is this true, as I’ve also heard from people trying to sell the frames that they are made in Germany?

Tried 3 301’s last night:

Med: 140mm with 26 inch
    Large: 160mm, 34’s and 650b
    XLarge: 160mm, 34’s and 650b

All different builds and feel very different to each other, very nice well made bikes, slightly tempted….. 😯

baronkanon

Tried 3 301’s last night:

Med: 140mm with 26 inch
    Large: 160mm, 34’s and 650b
    XLarge: 160mm, 34’s and 650b
    What rear tyre/rim combo were on the 650b bikes? I am on a 160 Mk11 size L, and it rocks. But I am ever so tempted to try 650b…

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Buy one, realise what an awful mistake you made, then sell it to me at a discount?

hora
    Free Member

If its the polished version OP- I say BUY IT.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘*Talk me out of a Liteville 301 Please*’ is closed to new replies.